Ensuites in every bedroom

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ensuites in every bedroom

I f I put an ensuite in every bedroom would I have to pay council tax for every room?
    If I put ensuites in all but one bedroom would I still have to pay CT for every room?

I'm trying to maximise the number of people in my HMO.

I am considering turning the shared living room into another bedroom and putting an extra cooker in the kitchen. This will make 6 bedrooms with 8-9 people.

This is solely due to the licencing I would have to pay the council £510 for the fifth person for 3 years and £30 for additional people.

You either have to pay council tax for the whole property, or not at all, assuming everything is let for the whole year. I don't know the fine details about when a flat becomes self contained.

If you mean two cookers, I doubt my council would licence you with only two cookers between six households.

Comment

I believe that 7 or more people makes it a sui-generis HMO and subject to planning permission

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
        You either have to pay council tax for the whole property, or not at all, assuming everything is let for the whole year. I don't know the fine details about when a flat becomes self contained.

If you mean two cookers, I doubt my council would licence you with only two cookers between six households.
        At the moment I can have 1 cooker between 5 single rooms so 6 would be an improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
          I believe that 7 or more people makes it a sui-generis HMO and subject to planning permission
          Ah yes, I'll have to look into that , thanks.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• PAT testing cert
            rugbyroom
            Dear Forum,

I have a registered HMO and new council official wanting to see numerous cert etc which I have, however I have my own PAT tester (callibrated) and get someone to do the tests for me who simply attended a 1 day course through their work.

They cant give certificates...
            18-10-2018, 12:03 PM
          • Reply to PAT testing cert
            rugbyroom
            The test consist of plugging each appliances into a hand held tester to confirm wires etc are fitted correctly. A visual inspection and then a sticker stuck on the plug to confirm its safe. Council wants certificates to confirm this has been done, but I'm reading that a competent person can do this...
            19-10-2018, 10:20 AM
          • Reply to PAT testing cert
            DPT57
            I think that doing nothing may be better than letting an unregistered electrician "tinker" with the appliances but I guess it may depends on whether PAT testing is a licence requirement
            18-10-2018, 19:39 PM
          • Fire door, door stop requirement
            fredfox
            Hi, I'm struggling to find the legal requirement for door stops in a licensed HMO for 5 people, single tenancy agreement. We are installing FD30 doors on the bedrooms with closers and fire & smoke intumescent strips. I've approached the local council for guidance, but they are yet to come back...
            17-10-2018, 08:34 AM
          • Reply to Fire door, door stop requirement
            fredfox
            Thanks red40 for taking the time to respond, it was a very interesting and informative read. I share your frustration. I'll do as you have requested and look for the standards document upon which the door was certified. I did find several references to installing as per the manufacturer’s specification....
            18-10-2018, 09:47 AM
            jpkeates
            In theory, you can do it yourself.

In practice, use a local consultant - it’s a bread and butter job, they’ll know the local council and once it’s done, you’ll know exactly what you have to do, and will have the consultant as back up if the council are difficult....
            17-10-2018, 15:25 PM
            red40
            Yet more appalling advice from a local authority, what they are effectively doing is specifying remedial work to an important component of the protected means of escape without any knowledge of the burn time, no evidence of suitable and adequate testing to meet the 30 minute requirement and more importantly...
            17-10-2018, 11:54 AM
            leaseholder64
            The government de-nationalised this service over a decade ago. The fire service no longer provide this service, only enforcement.
            17-10-2018, 11:13 AM
            fredfox
            OK thanks. Inspection it is then, do you use the fire service or a consultant?...
            17-10-2018, 10:37 AM
            jpkeates
            You have to complete a fire risk assessment.

That assessment will give you the guidance you need. The council’s approach will be different, they’ll simply tell you you’re not compliant with their standards and threaten to fine you until you are.
            17-10-2018, 10:14 AM
          Working...
          X