Live in landlord hmo licence fire safety?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So 1st of October.....

Do I need a hmo licence?

if I want to have 3 loggers in 3 rooms and me and my girlfriend in 1 room, do I need a hmo licence now? (4 rooms with 5 people in total)

and if so what do I need to do about fire safety as I am a live-in landlord would it change now I need a licence?

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ds-and-tenants

"""""""""""""""""
    The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015: Q&A booklet for the private rented sector – landlords and tenants
    19. Live-in landlords and owner occupiers

If the occupier shares the accommodation with the landlord or landlord’s family then these regulations will not apply.

For the purposes of the regulations, a landlord is considered to share accommodation with the tenant if they share an amenity such as a kitchen or living room. The regulations are not aimed at owner-occupied properties."""""""""""""

if anyone has any useful info that would be great, thanks.

You are an HMO, so presumably a licensable one. The council's licensing conditions will dictate the rest, but I would expect you would require fire safety upgrades.

Seriously, if you do not have any smoke alarms, you have a fire trap, even if you and the girlfriend were the only occupants.

Comment

Yes, I think this meets the conditions for mandatory licensing. As above the Council website is the place to start

Comment

Yes I have alarms but will i need mains alarms now? and more fire doors etc., because i'm resident will this apply?

Comment

As you will be resident then I would have thought that you would want fire doors and effective alarms for your own safety/protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Another Landlord View Post
            Yes I have alarms but will i need mains alarms now? and more fire doors etc., because i'm resident will this apply?
            Yes, the HMO regulations apply to HMO's with resident landlords.
            This isn't a new thing, that's been the case for years.

If you aren't following the regulations already, you're breaking the law.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by Another Landlord View Post
              The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015: Q&A booklet for the private rented sector – landlords and tenants
              19. Live-in landlords and owner occupiers

If the occupier shares the accommodation with the landlord or landlord’s family then these regulations will not apply.

For the purposes of the regulations, a landlord is considered to share accommodation with the tenant if they share an amenity such as a kitchen or living room. The regulations are not aimed at owner-occupied properties..
              Those regulations don't apply to HMOs at all, so the exemption for live in landlord's is meaningless in this case.

The regulations don't apply to HMOs because the HMO regulations already cover the same issues - the fire alarm requirements in an HMO are much stricter than these regulations.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• PAT testing cert
                rugbyroom
                Dear Forum,

I have a registered HMO and new council official wanting to see numerous cert etc which I have, however I have my own PAT tester (callibrated) and get someone to do the tests for me who simply attended a 1 day course through their work.

They cant give certificates...
                18-10-2018, 12:03 PM
              • Reply to PAT testing cert
                rugbyroom
                The test consist of plugging each appliances into a hand held tester to confirm wires etc are fitted correctly. A visual inspection and then a sticker stuck on the plug to confirm its safe. Council wants certificates to confirm this has been done, but I'm reading that a competent person can do this...
                19-10-2018, 10:20 AM
              • Reply to PAT testing cert
                DPT57
                I think that doing nothing may be better than letting an unregistered electrician "tinker" with the appliances but I guess it may depends on whether PAT testing is a licence requirement
                18-10-2018, 19:39 PM
              • Fire door, door stop requirement
                fredfox
                Hi, I'm struggling to find the legal requirement for door stops in a licensed HMO for 5 people, single tenancy agreement. We are installing FD30 doors on the bedrooms with closers and fire & smoke intumescent strips. I've approached the local council for guidance, but they are yet to come back...
                17-10-2018, 08:34 AM
              • Reply to Fire door, door stop requirement
                fredfox
                Thanks red40 for taking the time to respond, it was a very interesting and informative read. I share your frustration. I'll do as you have requested and look for the standards document upon which the door was certified. I did find several references to installing as per the manufacturer’s specification....
                18-10-2018, 09:47 AM
                jpkeates
                In theory, you can do it yourself.

In practice, use a local consultant - it’s a bread and butter job, they’ll know the local council and once it’s done, you’ll know exactly what you have to do, and will have the consultant as back up if the council are difficult....
                17-10-2018, 15:25 PM
                red40
                Yet more appalling advice from a local authority, what they are effectively doing is specifying remedial work to an important component of the protected means of escape without any knowledge of the burn time, no evidence of suitable and adequate testing to meet the 30 minute requirement and more importantly...
                17-10-2018, 11:54 AM
                leaseholder64
                The government de-nationalised this service over a decade ago. The fire service no longer provide this service, only enforcement.
                17-10-2018, 11:13 AM
                fredfox
                OK thanks. Inspection it is then, do you use the fire service or a consultant?...
                17-10-2018, 10:37 AM
                jpkeates
                You have to complete a fire risk assessment.

That assessment will give you the guidance you need. The council’s approach will be different, they’ll simply tell you you’re not compliant with their standards and threaten to fine you until you are.
                17-10-2018, 10:14 AM
              Working...
              X