Non Licensable HMO - Do I still have to do the work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non Licensable HMO - Do I still have to do the work?

Hi
    My council came round a couple of weeks ago. As there is only four bedrooms the council said it is not a licensable HMO.
    However, they have now sent a me a letter to carry out around 15 tasks such as,

Change all doors to fire doors
    Get a fire system in compliance with a BS standard etc
    Fire signs
    etc etc

Now I want to know, do I legally need to carry out these tasks.
    If I am not legally obliged I don't want to carry out these such things as my tenants are happy enough.

Can somebody give me some information on this matter.

Toby

Yes, you do. They can enforce them under HHSRS even for non-HMOs. You should not have let it get to this stage. You should have done a fire risk assessment. With a proper one, you could have argued that the way you used your property was lower risk than a typical four person HMO, but without one, it will be very difficult to challenge their ruling.

Comment

The legal requirements for a non-licensed HMO and a licensed one are almost identical (the council usually add a few more things because they can).
      I'm a little surprised they haven't fined you, already
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• PAT testing cert
        rugbyroom
        Dear Forum,

I have a registered HMO and new council official wanting to see numerous cert etc which I have, however I have my own PAT tester (callibrated) and get someone to do the tests for me who simply attended a 1 day course through their work.

They cant give certificates...
        18-10-2018, 12:03 PM
      • Reply to PAT testing cert
        rugbyroom
        The test consist of plugging each appliances into a hand held tester to confirm wires etc are fitted correctly. A visual inspection and then a sticker stuck on the plug to confirm its safe. Council wants certificates to confirm this has been done, but I'm reading that a competent person can do this...
        19-10-2018, 10:20 AM
      • Reply to PAT testing cert
        DPT57
        I think that doing nothing may be better than letting an unregistered electrician "tinker" with the appliances but I guess it may depends on whether PAT testing is a licence requirement
        18-10-2018, 19:39 PM
      • Fire door, door stop requirement
        fredfox
        Hi, I'm struggling to find the legal requirement for door stops in a licensed HMO for 5 people, single tenancy agreement. We are installing FD30 doors on the bedrooms with closers and fire & smoke intumescent strips. I've approached the local council for guidance, but they are yet to come back...
        17-10-2018, 08:34 AM
      • Reply to Fire door, door stop requirement
        fredfox
        Thanks red40 for taking the time to respond, it was a very interesting and informative read. I share your frustration. I'll do as you have requested and look for the standards document upon which the door was certified. I did find several references to installing as per the manufacturer’s specification....
        18-10-2018, 09:47 AM
        jpkeates
        In theory, you can do it yourself.

In practice, use a local consultant - it’s a bread and butter job, they’ll know the local council and once it’s done, you’ll know exactly what you have to do, and will have the consultant as back up if the council are difficult....
        17-10-2018, 15:25 PM
        red40
        Yet more appalling advice from a local authority, what they are effectively doing is specifying remedial work to an important component of the protected means of escape without any knowledge of the burn time, no evidence of suitable and adequate testing to meet the 30 minute requirement and more importantly...
        17-10-2018, 11:54 AM
        leaseholder64
        The government de-nationalised this service over a decade ago. The fire service no longer provide this service, only enforcement.
        17-10-2018, 11:13 AM
        fredfox
        OK thanks. Inspection it is then, do you use the fire service or a consultant?...
        17-10-2018, 10:37 AM
        jpkeates
        You have to complete a fire risk assessment.

That assessment will give you the guidance you need. The council’s approach will be different, they’ll simply tell you you’re not compliant with their standards and threaten to fine you until you are.
        17-10-2018, 10:14 AM
      Working...
      X