Non Licensable HMO - Do I still have to do the work?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Non Licensable HMO - Do I still have to do the work?

    My council came round a couple of weeks ago. As there is only four bedrooms the council said it is not a licensable HMO.
    However, they have now sent a me a letter to carry out around 15 tasks such as,

    Change all doors to fire doors
    Get a fire system in compliance with a BS standard etc
    Fire signs
    etc etc

    Now I want to know, do I legally need to carry out these tasks.
    If I am not legally obliged I don't want to carry out these such things as my tenants are happy enough.

    Can somebody give me some information on this matter.


    Yes, you do. They can enforce them under HHSRS even for non-HMOs. You should not have let it get to this stage. You should have done a fire risk assessment. With a proper one, you could have argued that the way you used your property was lower risk than a typical four person HMO, but without one, it will be very difficult to challenge their ruling.


      The legal requirements for a non-licensed HMO and a licensed one are almost identical (the council usually add a few more things because they can).
      I'm a little surprised they haven't fined you, already
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      Latest Activity