Loft Conversion/licensing

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Loft Conversion/licensing


    I rented a house 8 years ago with 5 friends through an agency. Within a few days we received notice that the mortgage wasn't being paid and the house was being repossessed. It didn't get repossessed in the end.

    The owners decided to get rid of the agents and we paid the rent directly to them.

    5 of the 6 moved out leaving just me and i found another 4 tenants in 2014 i bought my own home but as the owners live overseas have continued to basically collect the rent pay the bills and forward the rent on

    I have always believed that we are a 2 storey house (ground floor, 1st floor, Loft conversion) but am now thinking its actually a 3 so should have been licensed by the council since day 1. As far as I am concerned its never been licensed.

    I have been in talks with the council regarding mandatory licensing. I have today acquired the licensing pack.

    The 2 questions are

    1 would this be a 3 storey so would have needed licensing from day 1
    2 who needs to get the license me or the owners.

    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Forge77; 20-09-2018, 05:33 AM. Reason: missed of the bit about repossession

    It is the person managing the HMO that needs to get the l licence. That is probably you.

    Note that changes of tenants, other than by surrender and re-grant are very difficult to get right.

    It was definitely licensable from the start. In eleven days time, it will fall under mandatory licensing with five people and only one storey.


      Good news

      I have just spoken with the council and luckily enough still have original contract from 2010 that i signed with agent.

      Apparently as i am not being paid and not entered into any agreement i cant be liable.


      They have though asked for owners details so I wait with baited breath..


        Surely you have landlord's name on tenancy agreement?

        Owner you can get for £3 from land registry, 5 minutes
        I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


          Well the owners name was on tenancy agreement with the agents details.


            As an aside, if you are collecting the rent and passing it on to a landlord who lives abroad, you may have some issues with HMRC.
            If the landlord should be paying tax in the UK, you're either meant to have permission to pass on the rent or to deduct tax before sending it on and pay it to HMRC twice a year.

            If the tenants pay their rent to you (and pay you for their share of utility bills in your name) the local authority may decide you're the manager of the HMO (even if you're not the landlord).

            Who pays the council tax?
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


              the rent gets paid into a uk bank account and has done since 2010. I use a uk accountant.

              I pay the council tax out of the money i receive from the rents


              Latest Activity


              • PAT testing cert
                Dear Forum,

                I have a registered HMO and new council official wanting to see numerous cert etc which I have, however I have my own PAT tester (callibrated) and get someone to do the tests for me who simply attended a 1 day course through their work.

                They cant give certificates...
                18-10-2018, 12:03 PM
              • Reply to PAT testing cert
                The test consist of plugging each appliances into a hand held tester to confirm wires etc are fitted correctly. A visual inspection and then a sticker stuck on the plug to confirm its safe. Council wants certificates to confirm this has been done, but I'm reading that a competent person can do this...
                19-10-2018, 10:20 AM
              • Reply to PAT testing cert
                I think that doing nothing may be better than letting an unregistered electrician "tinker" with the appliances but I guess it may depends on whether PAT testing is a licence requirement
                18-10-2018, 19:39 PM
              • Fire door, door stop requirement
                Hi, I'm struggling to find the legal requirement for door stops in a licensed HMO for 5 people, single tenancy agreement. We are installing FD30 doors on the bedrooms with closers and fire & smoke intumescent strips. I've approached the local council for guidance, but they are yet to come back...
                17-10-2018, 08:34 AM
              • Reply to Fire door, door stop requirement
                Thanks red40 for taking the time to respond, it was a very interesting and informative read. I share your frustration. I'll do as you have requested and look for the standards document upon which the door was certified. I did find several references to installing as per the manufacturer’s specification....
                18-10-2018, 09:47 AM
              • Reply to Fire door, door stop requirement
                In theory, you can do it yourself.

                In practice, use a local consultant - it’s a bread and butter job, they’ll know the local council and once it’s done, you’ll know exactly what you have to do, and will have the consultant as back up if the council are difficult....
                17-10-2018, 15:25 PM
              • Reply to Fire door, door stop requirement
                Yet more appalling advice from a local authority, what they are effectively doing is specifying remedial work to an important component of the protected means of escape without any knowledge of the burn time, no evidence of suitable and adequate testing to meet the 30 minute requirement and more importantly...
                17-10-2018, 11:54 AM
              • Reply to Fire door, door stop requirement
                The government de-nationalised this service over a decade ago. The fire service no longer provide this service, only enforcement.
                17-10-2018, 11:13 AM
              • Reply to Fire door, door stop requirement
                OK thanks. Inspection it is then, do you use the fire service or a consultant?...
                17-10-2018, 10:37 AM
              • Reply to Fire door, door stop requirement
                You have to complete a fire risk assessment.

                That assessment will give you the guidance you need. The council’s approach will be different, they’ll simply tell you you’re not compliant with their standards and threaten to fine you until you are.
                17-10-2018, 10:14 AM