Lead Tenant Died - advice please

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Lead Tenant Died - advice please

    I have a house let to 4 mainly related adult sharers and have been advised that the lead tenant has died. His mother is still there and the group have been there nearly 4 years. They speak poor English but It appears they still wish to stay and have someone else living there now. I assume somehow I need to get a new agreement but I found them through an agent who set up the initial agreement. How might I get the deposit back from DPS to enter a new agreement, and go about creating a new agreement? Any advice on the situation welcome thank you.

    If all the occupants are named tenants then I dont think you have to do anything about the tenancy. You should agree a new lead tenant for DPS purposes though and perhaps jointly write to DPS to explain/request the change.


      The death of a tenant doesn't change anything - the estate simply takes on the tenant's rights and responsibilities.

      I am not sure what you mean by the "lead tenant" as that's not really a generic concept other than for deposit protection.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      Latest Activity


      • Painting in a HMO house
        I have a four bed HMO house let to four professionals, looking to paint the house and also plaster where required for the complete house, this will take 5 to 7 days to complete the work.
        All the tenants were fine and cooperative, except one tenant, who has changed his shift from morning...
        17-09-2019, 12:48 PM
      • Reply to Painting in a HMO house
        I assumed the OP was painting the rooms, as well.
        21-09-2019, 13:41 PM
      • Reply to Painting in a HMO house
        Assuming these are room only tenancies then they have no rights over communal areas or exterior unless you've given it to them contractually. Harassment issues aside, the tenant cant prevent you from doing the work....
        21-09-2019, 06:50 AM
      • Referencing
        Hi all,

        Completely new landlord here, we have a 4 bed house which we have struggled to sell, so have decided to rent rooms out. We are moving out and it will be rented to 4 individuals. We have been in touch with the council and they've written back formally saying we don't need planning...
        19-09-2019, 12:35 PM
      • Reply to Referencing
        The HMO definition triggers a need to manage it in certain ways, including additional fire safety, but doesn't trigger a need for licence. Councils may have Additional Licensing, in which case you will need one for three or four people. However to absolutely require a licence, a house or converted...
        20-09-2019, 23:08 PM
      • Reply to Referencing
        Best to use a tenant assessment company to do all the reference checking. I would not recommend accepting any references direct from a prospective tenant.
        Referencing companies charge a modest fee per tenant, and its well worth it. I can recommend one to you if you PM me.
        You will need to...
        20-09-2019, 22:46 PM
      • Reply to Referencing
        As you are letting the rooms yourself you decide what is the best background checks to make for the type of tenants you wish to have in your house. If you are taking out tenant rent insurance you will need to comply with their terms but the main area that I checked were:

        1. Employed - take...
        20-09-2019, 09:25 AM
      • Reply to Referencing
        Good morning

        Thanks for your replies, I don't mean to sound rude, but DPT57 we will live very local to the property and have decided to manage it ourselves, as I've already, said, we have done extensive research into all aspects, I know how to reference, I just wanted first hand personal...
        20-09-2019, 05:24 AM
      • Reply to Painting in a HMO house
        Plastering and painting aren't noisy jobs. I would just make sure that those doing the work are aware there may be someone sleeping so they don't put a radio on and take care when moving around any furniture etc. Provided tenants have notice of the works they should accept the communal areas need to...
        19-09-2019, 20:05 PM
      • Reply to Referencing
        On what basis is the property owned. You state you have moved out , is the property subject to a residential mortgage, if yes have you obtained a Consent to Let , if not do so immediately or arrange a Buy to Let Mortgage ; also have you notified your insurance company that the property is vacant , usually...
        19-09-2019, 20:00 PM