Can I apply for a HMO licence rather than Planning Permission

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Can I apply for a HMO licence rather than Planning Permission

    I have a 3 bed flat which I think meets LA HMO guidelines. If I wanted to convert one of the bedrooms to have an ensuite shower room with cooking facilities do I need separate planning permission? The other 2 rooms in the flat would share a kitchen and shower room.

    I believe in many areas, you need Planning Permission for HMO before you could apply for an HMO license, they exist seperately. Planning permission is mostly attached to the property (from C3 to C4) while the license is held by the landlord.

    Some cases if you can proof your property has been used as HMO before the introduction of the planning permission by the LA, you can avoid having to apply Planning permission.

    You do not need planning permission to convert the ensuite, but you would need both planning permission and licensing (depending on LA policy) if you are planning on using the whole house as HMO.

    Usually steps are like this:

    1. Obtain Planning permission for HMO (C4).
    2. Carry out the work on the house for HMO (Fireproof doors, extra bathrooms etc)
    3. Obtain HMO license.
    4. Start taking in tenants.

    Hope it helps.


    Latest Activity


    • What are the fire checks: 4 bed HMO
      Setting up a 4 bed HMO

      We've installed interconnected smoke detectors in all rooms, have smoke alarms on each level in hall ways, co2 alarms in relevant rooms and heat detector in correct room - can't recall if kitchen or hall as writing this on behalf of partner who did it as recommended...
      12-07-2018, 11:39 AM
    • Reply to What are the fire checks: 4 bed HMO
      If you are leaving the country you must have appointed a manager for the HMO, and put up notices giving details of how to contact them.. They are the ones responsible for ensuring that testing is being done.
      18-08-2018, 10:35 AM
    • Reply to What are the fire checks: 4 bed HMO
      Part of the mandatory requirements for the manager of an HMO is to have carried out a Fire Risk Assessment (or to have one carried out).
      That will define both the safety standards for equipment (like alarms and doors), confirm that fire exit routes are acceptable and should also confirm the nature...
      18-08-2018, 08:36 AM
    • Single AST agreement or not??
      hi, would really appreciate some info from an experienced HMO landlord on this one.. I’m acquiring my first multi let property, do you think a single AST agreement will be fine for 4 tenants who may not know each other? Or is this something to stay away from and have a unique agreement for each room?...
      20-02-2018, 16:11 PM
    • Reply to Single AST agreement or not??
      That's going to be difficult to manage.
      Are they named as the tenant or as tenants (plural)?
      What have you told the local authority about council tax?...
      18-08-2018, 08:32 AM
    • HMO avoidance
      According to the HMO rules & the new rules that come out in oct 2018, there seem to be some obvious ways to have 5 or more tenants but avoid being an HMO:

      pre oct 2018
      1. Five or more tenants, on only 1 or 2 levels

      post oct 2018 (under new rules, 2 levels now count...
      10-08-2018, 13:46 PM
    • Reply to HMO avoidance
      I think youre misinformed cupcake.
      1) I believe Oct 2018 regulations just remove the 3 storey restriction so even a Bungalow with 5 tenants becomes a licensable HMO
      2) This is likely to be 5 self contained bedsits each with their own Council Tax liability and the building itself may still...
      17-08-2018, 21:02 PM
    • HMO question
      Are there any landlords here whose HMOs are in leased property? In other words, the property itself is held on a lease from another landlord (superior landlord) and underlet as an HMO.

      What I'd like to find out is how the rent review between landlord A and superior landlord B is calculated?...
      08-08-2018, 16:16 PM
    • Reply to HMO question
      The ground rent payable on a leasehold property should be set out in the lease. Ive never heard of one where it was linked to the use of the property or the amount of rent received. What exactly does the clause in your lease say?
      17-08-2018, 20:38 PM
    • Reply to What are the fire checks: 4 bed HMO
      Weekly is the advice for owner occupiers and offices, so I don't see how you could argue for anything longer.

      Weekly testing is something that building manager can do for themselves, or could even be delegated to a tenant, although in that case definitely get a log book to prove it is being...
      15-08-2018, 11:12 AM