HMO part self contained and part shared amenities regarding planning and council tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMO part self contained and part shared amenities regarding planning and council tax

Hi
    I am a new HMO investor and just purchased my first already converted HMO of 8 bedsits.

i need some advice on planning, as 4 of the rooms have the possibility to be self-contained. i was wondering if it possible to have some units self contained and if i need to apply for planning, to convert them to self contained.

my next question is, who will pay council tax as i know that for HMO the landlord pays council tax however will in this case the tenants of the self contained pay council tax for their unit?

any advice would be helpful.

wannabe landlord

Do your council have a specification in terms of room size for either?

Self contained route would give a big house that contains 5 dwellings - four 1 beds and a 4 bed
    ​​​​

Comment

Irrespective of planning issues the VOA will likely want to take a look and determine if they meet the criteria to be individually banded - shared amenities don't prevent individual banding. For individually banded property on the scale that they'll be here it's unlikely (but not impossible) that'll meet the criteria to be regarded as a council tax HMO.
      Previously served 10 years as a council tax advisor with a local authority but now self-employed with my own council tax consultancy.

If your local authority disagrees with any aspects of your council tax claim, as they are free to do so, a Valuation Tribunal appeal may be required.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• PAT testing cert
        rugbyroom
        Dear Forum,

I have a registered HMO and new council official wanting to see numerous cert etc which I have, however I have my own PAT tester (callibrated) and get someone to do the tests for me who simply attended a 1 day course through their work.

They cant give certificates...
        18-10-2018, 12:03 PM
      • Reply to PAT testing cert
        rugbyroom
        The test consist of plugging each appliances into a hand held tester to confirm wires etc are fitted correctly. A visual inspection and then a sticker stuck on the plug to confirm its safe. Council wants certificates to confirm this has been done, but I'm reading that a competent person can do this...
        19-10-2018, 10:20 AM
      • Reply to PAT testing cert
        DPT57
        I think that doing nothing may be better than letting an unregistered electrician "tinker" with the appliances but I guess it may depends on whether PAT testing is a licence requirement
        18-10-2018, 19:39 PM
      • Fire door, door stop requirement
        fredfox
        Hi, I'm struggling to find the legal requirement for door stops in a licensed HMO for 5 people, single tenancy agreement. We are installing FD30 doors on the bedrooms with closers and fire & smoke intumescent strips. I've approached the local council for guidance, but they are yet to come back...
        17-10-2018, 08:34 AM
      • Reply to Fire door, door stop requirement
        fredfox
        Thanks red40 for taking the time to respond, it was a very interesting and informative read. I share your frustration. I'll do as you have requested and look for the standards document upon which the door was certified. I did find several references to installing as per the manufacturer’s specification....
        18-10-2018, 09:47 AM
        jpkeates
        In theory, you can do it yourself.

In practice, use a local consultant - it’s a bread and butter job, they’ll know the local council and once it’s done, you’ll know exactly what you have to do, and will have the consultant as back up if the council are difficult....
        17-10-2018, 15:25 PM
        red40
        Yet more appalling advice from a local authority, what they are effectively doing is specifying remedial work to an important component of the protected means of escape without any knowledge of the burn time, no evidence of suitable and adequate testing to meet the 30 minute requirement and more importantly...
        17-10-2018, 11:54 AM
        leaseholder64
        The government de-nationalised this service over a decade ago. The fire service no longer provide this service, only enforcement.
        17-10-2018, 11:13 AM
        fredfox
        OK thanks. Inspection it is then, do you use the fire service or a consultant?...
        17-10-2018, 10:37 AM
        jpkeates
        You have to complete a fire risk assessment.

That assessment will give you the guidance you need. The council’s approach will be different, they’ll simply tell you you’re not compliant with their standards and threaten to fine you until you are.
        17-10-2018, 10:14 AM
      Working...
      X