Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

disputes over correct allocation of funds

Hello,

We live in a shared freehold. 5 flats, 2 resident trustees of which I am one.

Currently there is only £3,500 in the account and we are planning that and future summer income to do essential maintenance works on the roof and slowly build a sink fund (it has taken years to slowly gain increased contributions from owners to enable this - 10 years ago we were only paying £40 pcm, now we pay £100 pcm which has allowed for better maintenance of the property which is a large Victorian house.)

Unfortunately, we have one non-resident flat owner who has been trying to sell his Flat for a while and thinks it would sell if we upgraded the hallway. The carpet is not worn, the hall is clean and in good condition. We polled owners and everyone but they would prefer to wait given the lack of sink fund, and the more important (non-cosmetic) spending needs.

This owner is becoming very bullying and aggressive in the face of opposition, says he doesn’t want to pay for a sink fund, has accused us of mismanagement as states he will take legal action against the trustees. Some others have washed their hands of the situation after his multiple ranting emails.

As trustees we have final say and a responsibility to ensure the property is managed appropriately and for the benefit of all. I believe that we are right to put roof repairs and other structural and building needs ahead of of cosmetic needs given the size of the existing fund, and that the suggestion IS purely cosmetic - the carpet does not need replacing, he just doesn’t like it. I believe it is also standard and prudent to put a sink fund in place.

I am tempted to simply reply saying that he should seek legal advice. I can’t imagine a judge saying we have not exercised our duty appropriately and well here, but concerned that legal action will involve costs (legal costs are covered by the house insurance but will increase the premium next year and so cost everyone in the long run I suspect)

I seem unable to resolve the situation calmly - With every email trying to explain why we have said ‘not now, but we will revisit in Autumn when we know the state of the account’ he comes back with multiple personal arguments and threatens legal action.

It’s very stressful for everyone, but particularly for us two trustees - some of his emails verge on libel.

Most leases don't allow for upgrading at all. If you literally mean upgrade, the seller will need to be prepared to pay the whole cost, and even then you might not want to do so if it increases future costs.

If you are really talking about repairs and renewals, you would need to check the lease as to when they need to be done.

If work is essential, or required by the lease, the state of the sinking fund shouldn't matter. If it is too low, people will have to pay a lump sum.

Comment

Thank you, that’s what we thought. There is no right to upgrade in the lease and it his objection to the hallway is purely cosmetics, not necessary repairs.

Comment

Is this in the right section. I think that HMOs have to have communal areas in good decorative order, but this sounds like a long lease issue, not an HMO one.

Returning the decorative state to the original state is a repair, not an improvement, so it would e question as to exactly what the lease says about that. If it is bad enough to make the property difficult to sell, the work needs doing. Except in true luxury situations buyers tend not to be interested in the decorative state of communal areas, at least not BtL ones, who will be the only buyers for older flats, and the a significant proportion of those for new build.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Post for tenants who have left
          Koups52
          HI, with HMOs there is invariably a turnover of tenants over time. I remind tenants who are leaving to sort out their post redirects and change their address, but there are some who just don't seem to get round to it. I have reminded them but still, some seem to forget. The post then can pile up at...
          17-04-2018, 16:41 PM
        • Reply to Post for tenants who have left
          security2
          Almost everyone doesn't really understand data protection laws and everyone interprets them in their own ways. I know I do... But I just apply what I think is common sense. Something that this bank in question clearly doesn't! Or at least the employee at the bank who you spoke to doesn't. Speak to someone...
          23-05-2018, 10:03 AM
          Berlingogirl
          One T left and his mail kept coming - bank statements, HMRC letters etc. I was well over a year returning the letters to the bank and getting very annoyed with the bank because they refused to stop sending statements. They said they had to keep sending it because the T hadn't told them not to and it...
          23-05-2018, 08:56 AM
          Gandolf
          I've got a niece who loves opening post,literally can't stop her...
          22-05-2018, 23:21 PM
          Berlingogirl
          Sometimes, if the T seems a bit iffy I google the PObox and if it's a debt collector I send it back. However, having had a particularly long continuing case and two bailiffs coming round, I have learnt that debt agencies sell the debt on to another agency, then another and the letters and knocks on...
          22-05-2018, 17:11 PM
        • Unlicensed HMO - tenant
          JohnDD
          Hi all,
          Would welcome some advice as to best way forward.
          I live in an unlicensed HMO in a London borough and have for 5+ years. There are 8 people here, and the landlord lives in the property, which made me a lodger early on, but he moved away for a period to another property (which became...
          15-05-2018, 10:32 AM
        • Reply to Unlicensed HMO - tenant
          security2
          So you haven't been on the electoral roll for 5 years? How have you been able to get bank accounts, credit cards, job applications etc? Have you had to lie about where you live (i.e. at a family member's house)? Be careful, your actions could lead to a backlash of pain for you also.

Self-interest...just...
          22-05-2018, 08:42 AM
        • I am in trouble
          Uklondoner
          The two guys signed contract with me and then brought girlfriends here. I was told I need a license. So I applied and now in processing The council told my bank I applied for a HMO the bank told me I will be in breach of the mortgage conditions and will affect future lending decisions...
          20-05-2018, 12:23 PM
        • Reply to I am in trouble
          Moderator2
          Uklondoner, do not cross-post in multiple forums please.
          21-05-2018, 12:26 PM
        • Reply to I am in trouble
          Uklondoner
          It depends how many people. It is more than 3 and not a family...
          20-05-2018, 14:33 PM
        Working...
        X