Considering first HMO? Advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering first HMO? Advice?

Hello. I'm not a commercial landlord but have two houses I rent. I recently saw a well appointed HMO in Bristol with 6 rooms over 3 floors. It is already working as a HMO returning approx 6.5%.

As I have no experience in HMOs then am I right in assuming these additional complexities:
    1. More difficult resale in future, not appealing to families or first time buyers
    2. Costs of licensing
    3. Increased tenant turnover and costs of management
    4. Increase mortgage costs of HMO

Is there anything else I might consider? Personally I thinking that with these additional complexities then I should really looking for something that returns 7% or more. The upside is that it is very well appointed and ready to go.

Thoughts?

I would read some of the replies to very similar recent questions on this section of the forum and then come back if you need more.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• HMO Leading Blogs
      VictoriaH
      Which are the leading blogs/ authoritative people to follow for HMOs
      I've come across Ash Zuberi online
      I was wondering who are the top 5 to follow?...
      20-10-2018, 15:39 PM
    • PAT testing cert
      rugbyroom
      Dear Forum,

I have a registered HMO and new council official wanting to see numerous cert etc which I have, however I have my own PAT tester (callibrated) and get someone to do the tests for me who simply attended a 1 day course through their work.

They cant give certificates...
      18-10-2018, 12:03 PM
    • Reply to PAT testing cert
      rugbyroom
      The test consist of plugging each appliances into a hand held tester to confirm wires etc are fitted correctly. A visual inspection and then a sticker stuck on the plug to confirm its safe. Council wants certificates to confirm this has been done, but I'm reading that a competent person can do this...
      19-10-2018, 10:20 AM
    • Reply to PAT testing cert
      DPT57
      I think that doing nothing may be better than letting an unregistered electrician "tinker" with the appliances but I guess it may depends on whether PAT testing is a licence requirement
      18-10-2018, 19:39 PM
    • Fire door, door stop requirement
      fredfox
      Hi, I'm struggling to find the legal requirement for door stops in a licensed HMO for 5 people, single tenancy agreement. We are installing FD30 doors on the bedrooms with closers and fire & smoke intumescent strips. I've approached the local council for guidance, but they are yet to come back...
      17-10-2018, 08:34 AM
    • Reply to Fire door, door stop requirement
      fredfox
      Thanks red40 for taking the time to respond, it was a very interesting and informative read. I share your frustration. I'll do as you have requested and look for the standards document upon which the door was certified. I did find several references to installing as per the manufacturer’s specification....
      18-10-2018, 09:47 AM
      jpkeates
      In theory, you can do it yourself.

In practice, use a local consultant - it’s a bread and butter job, they’ll know the local council and once it’s done, you’ll know exactly what you have to do, and will have the consultant as back up if the council are difficult....
      17-10-2018, 15:25 PM
      red40
      Yet more appalling advice from a local authority, what they are effectively doing is specifying remedial work to an important component of the protected means of escape without any knowledge of the burn time, no evidence of suitable and adequate testing to meet the 30 minute requirement and more importantly...
      17-10-2018, 11:54 AM
      leaseholder64
      The government de-nationalised this service over a decade ago. The fire service no longer provide this service, only enforcement.
      17-10-2018, 11:13 AM
      fredfox
      OK thanks. Inspection it is then, do you use the fire service or a consultant?...
      17-10-2018, 10:37 AM
    Working...
    X