Complicated situation with the person who lives in the houseshare

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    If you have plenty of time on your hands and a strong appetite and the capacity to learn then by all means go ahead. I would start by joining one of the landlord associations and do their core training modules. You should also read the forums avidly. You will probably need to spend about 50% of a standard working week on this pursuit for at least a few months. Seems like quite a lot just to avoid having to move but good luck to you.


      Can the live in landlord raise the rent of the tenant, lodger, licensee?

      The reason I'm asking is because "the troublemaker" lady, who is the wife of the man currently being one if the two on the rent agreement, pays insufficient rent.

      Basically, when we haved moved in to this house, 13 years ago, the agreement between the people who moved in was, the size of the rent depends on the size of the room you have, which at that time sounded logical way to proceed... So the total rent was divided by 5 (number of bedrooms), and then proportionally adjusted according to the size of the room. Then, "troublemakers" husband, who was a senior in the house and took the charge of the house, (was doing all related duties, looking for tenants for vacant rooms, looking after the gardens, organising the repairs and replacements of broken appliances and so on), he came up with the idea, to reduce his own rent at the cost of the others, why would he do what he does free of charge, it is a time consuming . And everyone agreed that it is a reasonable thing to ask, but then, reducing his own rent wasn't enough, he came up with the idea to take in more people and get his rent to a minimum, or even try to pay nothing at all... This is when it got weird. Anyhow, long story short, he moved out, because of constant conflicts with his wife (the troublemaker), and left her behind... She still lives in the house, she still pays the reduced rent, and when I tell her, that you pay insufficient rent, and we (the rest of the house) do not have to pay for you to live in this house, she says, she can not afford to pay more. Her husband, who doesn't live here any longer, but he is still on the current rend agreement which expires at the end of May, tells me, that I, the second person on the agreement, can not increase her rent... ?!!

      Some opinions would be much appreciated... Because she lives in the biggest bedroom, additionally she have the smallest bedroom as her storage space and she pays nothing for it, her husband says it is a perk for running the house, basically she pays half of what I pay. Since her husband who was running the house left, I have taken over the duties as the second person on the rent agreement.

      Let's say the running cost of the house is £2200, the rent out of which is £1500. I pay £670, the couple in the double room pays £680, the single man pays £410 and she pays the remaining £440 and lives in the biggest bedroom, took over the smallest bedroom for free, and she walks around the house treating everyone as if she is a landlady... Nuisance ...

      Ideally, everyone would like her out, but if it is impossible to do it at the moment, we would like to increase her rent and make it fare for the rest of the house. Is there a way to sort it out. Come on people, you are the people with experiences and the knowledge of the law, surely you went through countless situations over your life. Any explained advice would be appreciated.

      Have a lovely day


        At the risk of sounding naïve, I will offer my opinion. The facts you have provided here:-

        1.The unpopular (female) resident is not a tenant and does not have her name on any tenancy agreement.
        2. She is the spouse of a tenant who abandoned the property.
        3. The tenancy agreement is about to expire, so neither the person who abandoned the property, nor his spouse will be named on any new tenancy agreement.

        Have you asked her to leave / given her formal notice to leave? What happened if/when you did?

        Have you discussed, with a legal professional (solicitor) the possibility of just changing the locks when she is out?

        If you have taken legal advice about that course of action, what was advised?

        The lady sounds like she would be classified as a 'squatter', but I have no legal training and you need to take advice about what to do.

        Sorry that I could not be more helpful than that.


          Have you asked her to leave / given her formal notice to leave? What happened if/when you did?
          I did told her that no one wants her in the house, she is refusing to move out. Her husband, who doesn't live here anymore, but is a tenant according to the current contract, who was in charge of the house, says he spoke to citizen advice bureau and was told that for as long as she pays her rent (which is insufficient by everyone opinion) and she is not destroying the house, there is nothing we can do to get rid of her. He asked the landlord to put her on the new contract, (we have one year contracts renewed yearly), landlord said nope.

          Have you discussed, with a legal professional (solicitor) the possibility of just changing the locks when she is out?
          Not yet, there are still few months to go, buy as you can see I have started to research my options, as landlord told me that on the next contract I will be alone, so basically he is making me a live in landlord. He told me that I will have to make the subletting contracts with everyone in the house and I do not have to make one with the troublemaker if I don't want to... Which sounds a little to easy.

          I haven't yet seeked the legal advice. Which I will do soon. Who should I talk to?


            Obviously I do or say something wrong, because no one wants to talk to me anymore... Sorry if I offended someone, it was not my intent.


              Well, thank you all for your help, much appreciated...


              Latest Activity