Garage conversion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage conversion

There is a 4 bed semi townhouse (three storey) which at present is an unlicensed Hmo. The garage is under one of the rooms and if the garage is converted into a small self contained flat with their own toilet kitchen,with the other rooms staying the same. Since this makes the number of tenants 5 will it automatically have to apply for a Hmo licence although one of the tenant doesn’t share any facilities and will have their own entrance. Thanks in advance. Will small self contained garage be liable for separate council tax.

Depends if you get planning consent for another dwelling. I'd stay as you are IIWY. One of my five bed HMO's only has four occupants to avoid licensing nonsense.

Comment

The garage is under one of the rooms and if the garage is converted into a small self contained flat with their own toilet kitchen,with the other rooms staying the same
      For council tax purposes it would need to be banded as an individual dwelling.
      Previously served 10 years as a council tax advisor with a local authority but now self-employed with my own council tax consultancy.

If your local authority disagrees with any aspects of your council tax claim, as they are free to do so, a Valuation Tribunal appeal may be required.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X