Moving house - Sell NOW vs LET OUT for now and Sell Later; Capital gains Implications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving house - Sell NOW vs LET OUT for now and Sell Later; Capital gains Implications

Hi all

We have been living in our current house for 4 years. We plan to move to slightly bigger house. Last 4 years, our house price has increased up to 51% (from £165K to £250K). We plan to move to new house, but we do have a plan to moved back to this house 15 years later as kids grow-up. Smaller house will be easier for us to maintain.

We have few options
    Option 1 – Sell current house and buy big house
    Option 2 – Keep current house and rent it out. We will come back 15 years later. I guess we will not liable for any capital gain tax for the new house as the new house is our primary resident and we never sell our old house.
    Option 3 – Keep current house and rent it out. We found the house is not easy to maintain with tenants. We sell the current house few years later, after we moved to new house

What are fellow landlords suggestions about what to do in this situation? Has anyone else been in a similar situation? What did you do? I also like to confirm, if I choose option 2 above. I am not liable to capital gain tax?

Thanks

quote "We plan to move to new house, but we do have a plan to moved back to this house 15 years later as kids grow-up. Smaller house will be easier for us to maintain."

Well it looks like it is option 2 then, as option 1 and 3 don't meet your plans. That was easy!!

Comment

Select option 1 . When you want to downsize in 15 years time , buy a new-build smaller property.

Comment

How about

Buy new house, let old house, in 1 years time review how the letting is goign and decide whether to sell or keep. If prices continue to rise you would gain one years rise with no CGT if you sell.

Comment

Can you realy guess what CGT rules will be 15 years from now?
          Never mind changes to the property/rental markets.

Like any other investment, it's a gamble.
          Guess it right, make a pile.
          Guess wrong......

Comment

Originally posted by PJackson View Post
            How about

Buy new house, let old house, in 1 years time review how the letting is goign and decide whether to sell or keep. If prices continue to rise you would gain one years rise with no CGT if you sell.
            Thanks. This sound like a plan. I haven't done buy to let before, but I did hear about the horrible about buy to let. That why I feel worry. But, buy to let can give me a chance to gain so retirement fund. That why I feel dilemma

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Yields going forward
              by gnvqsos
              You are probably right in all aspects.Although I agree with you

"Yield is the income returned on an investment, such as the interest received from holding a security. The yield is usually expressed as an annual percentage rate based on the investment's cost, current market value, or...
              21-09-2020, 18:00 PM
            • buying btl next to my other btl
              by Berlingogirl
              I wasn't going to invest in another BTL but one has come up for sale next to one I already have and it's at a reasonable price.

I have spoken to my mtg advisor who said there might be a problem buying a property next to one I already have because mtg lenders think I might knock through...
              18-09-2020, 11:54 AM
            • Reply to buying btl next to my other btl
              by loanarranger
              Subsequent to my last posting I can confirm that there are a number of lenders whose criteria indicates a willingness to consider such application with a few making it a condition that the property will not be migrated into the adjoining property. Sorry for the delay but I had time on my hands whilst...
              21-09-2020, 14:49 PM
            • Yields going forward
              by gnvqsos
              As letting becomes more difficult with new restrictions and removal of subsidies and tax breaks,will opportunist landlords exit,sell properties and precipitate higher rents and yields?what is a good yield in these circumstances
              17-09-2020, 07:45 AM
              by jpkeates
              There are lots of different ways of calculating "yield".
              Based on a return on capital employed, the yield would be 25%.

If you based it on today's value, let's say it's worth £400,000, you could argue that the yield is 2.5%, which is probably useful if you want to think...
              21-09-2020, 14:45 PM
              by BTL investor
              Yes it’s 25% if you base the calculation on the historic purchase price, but you can make the yield appear even better if you purchased the property with a 25% deposit of £10,000 and base your calculation on that, now your yield becomes 100% 👍...
              21-09-2020, 14:28 PM
              by gnvqsos
              You can calculate yields in a variety of ways but an economist always compoares the yield against the next best alternative.To do this you have to imaginen the value of an asset is realised contemporaneously,not on original price.I bought a house 25 years ago and its price was £40000.The rent is £10,000...
              21-09-2020, 13:32 PM
              by flyingfreehold
              Many years when I was working in stockbroking an elderly client rang up and said "I hear yields are going up, will you buy me a few?"
              21-09-2020, 09:56 AM
              by jpkeates
              No they don't.
              They can be, but it's not any kind of rule....
              21-09-2020, 09:47 AM
              by gnvqsos
              Yields need to be based on current value not historic value....
              20-09-2020, 17:44 PM
            Working...
            X