Moving house - Sell NOW vs LET OUT for now and Sell Later; Capital gains Implications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving house - Sell NOW vs LET OUT for now and Sell Later; Capital gains Implications

Hi all

We have been living in our current house for 4 years. We plan to move to slightly bigger house. Last 4 years, our house price has increased up to 51% (from £165K to £250K). We plan to move to new house, but we do have a plan to moved back to this house 15 years later as kids grow-up. Smaller house will be easier for us to maintain.

We have few options
    Option 1 – Sell current house and buy big house
    Option 2 – Keep current house and rent it out. We will come back 15 years later. I guess we will not liable for any capital gain tax for the new house as the new house is our primary resident and we never sell our old house.
    Option 3 – Keep current house and rent it out. We found the house is not easy to maintain with tenants. We sell the current house few years later, after we moved to new house

What are fellow landlords suggestions about what to do in this situation? Has anyone else been in a similar situation? What did you do? I also like to confirm, if I choose option 2 above. I am not liable to capital gain tax?

Thanks

quote "We plan to move to new house, but we do have a plan to moved back to this house 15 years later as kids grow-up. Smaller house will be easier for us to maintain."

Well it looks like it is option 2 then, as option 1 and 3 don't meet your plans. That was easy!!

Comment

Select option 1 . When you want to downsize in 15 years time , buy a new-build smaller property.

Comment

How about

Buy new house, let old house, in 1 years time review how the letting is goign and decide whether to sell or keep. If prices continue to rise you would gain one years rise with no CGT if you sell.

Comment

Can you realy guess what CGT rules will be 15 years from now?
          Never mind changes to the property/rental markets.

Like any other investment, it's a gamble.
          Guess it right, make a pile.
          Guess wrong......

Comment

Originally posted by PJackson View Post
            How about

Buy new house, let old house, in 1 years time review how the letting is goign and decide whether to sell or keep. If prices continue to rise you would gain one years rise with no CGT if you sell.
            Thanks. This sound like a plan. I haven't done buy to let before, but I did hear about the horrible about buy to let. That why I feel worry. But, buy to let can give me a chance to gain so retirement fund. That why I feel dilemma

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Changing boundaries?
              by royw
              Are you planning to sell either of them? If not just move the fence.
              08-12-2019, 12:52 PM
            • Changing boundaries?
              by Thyrsis
              I own two adjacent properties, one is my home and the other is rented out. I would like to take half of the garden from the rental and combine it with my garden. Can I do this without ‘buying’ the land from myself? I would also inform the Land Registry of the new boundaries.
              08-12-2019, 07:35 AM
            • Reply to Changing boundaries?
              by loanarranger
              If the properties are subject to mortgages you will need to discuss with the lenders as to what you are indeed proposing given that the land as its own intrinsic value and the transfer of land might have an adverse or enhanced effect depending on the property in question. I would suggest you consult...
              08-12-2019, 09:19 AM
            • Reply to Retrospective sub-division of a HMO and financing/refinancing strategy
              by loanarranger
              Can I make a slight correction Gordon to your last post and without wishing to sound clever;you are indeed correct regarding the possibility of the lender not allowing any flats to be extracted from the title but the possible exception is if the value of the Freehold plus the value of the remaining...
              07-12-2019, 14:13 PM
            • Retrospective sub-division of a HMO and financing/refinancing strategy
              by GaryE
              I have 5 self-contained bedsits and 1 x 1 bedroom self-contained flat all contained within a single HMO property. There is a shared kitchen and lounge and I have a HMO license and certificate of lawful development (change of use C3 to C4). My strategy is to wait 3 more years and get retrospective planning...
              04-12-2019, 15:20 PM
            • Reply to Retrospective sub-division of a HMO and financing/refinancing strategy
              by Gordon999
              If the mortgage lender has registered a charge against the freehold title for security of the loan, you will not be able to move any flats to separate leasehold title.
              07-12-2019, 13:15 PM
            • new HMO rules
              by Clulass
              I have a house which is let to 3 friends sharing it. Its now being classified as an HMO (ridiculously so in my opinion). An application has gone in, but the licence not yet been granted. And I won't hold my breath. I've now found it very hard to remortgage the property. I had a mortgage offer in process...
              05-12-2019, 11:35 AM
            • Reply to new HMO rules
              by jpkeates
              It is almost impossible for a landlord to legally let a property to two or more friends.
              The property has to be set up as an HMO, which is much more onerous than renting a "normal" rental property.
              It is difficult to get much more rent, because one of the reasons people want to...
              06-12-2019, 10:51 AM
            • Reply to new HMO rules
              by Clulass
              Still not sure why you said this though:

05-12-2019, 12:54 PM
              It's almost impossible to rent to two or more friends.
              This is why it almost never happens.
              05-12-2019, 18:13 PM
            • Reply to new HMO rules
              by jpkeates
              Sorry, I understood that.
              Groups of friends often want to rent together, and no one will let to them (despite it being the setup of many sitcoms!).

Two friends is fine until one meets someone else and they move in (which creates an HMO often without anyone realising.)
              Three...
              05-12-2019, 17:05 PM
            Working...
            X