• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To sell or not to sell - that is the question

Good Afternoon
    I would just like to garner opinion on the following please

House -3 bed detached in mk
    Value 250k
    If sell i will net around 220 as have to pay cgt as was gifted to me as a youngster
    Current deposit rate 1.7 pc (too old n ill to take risks)-say 3.7k

Rental value approx 7k a year
    Roughly 2k for contingency/voids etc? Leaves 5k
    Yield is therefore about 2per cent?

So not much in it if these figures are correct.
    The value in keeping is it was a family home and been in family since built 60 years ago and I ,ay want to move back to it one day
    The value in selling is because its caused anguish letting it and seeing deterioration has exaccerbated my illness somewhat
    The value in selling Now-and not having one more go at letting is because house price has shot up from 210 to 250 in last 3 years and may go back down again

Any views please?

Thanks

You haven't allowed for inflation. Real deposit returns are about -1% as inflation is about 2.7%. Therefore, I think you should keep the house.

Comment

Oh yes- i hadnt factored inflation in at all.

Comment

How much do you want available to spend next year?
        5k or 220k?

Comment

I need income rather than capital but am frightened that keeping the house will cost me more in the long run if things go wrong.
          Basically i'm terrified of either option!

Comment

You should not be terrified with Selling.

As you will have no repairs to do, no boilers to replace, no refurbishment every 5 or 10 years, no tenants not paying rent for 6 months, no destruction of property, no exacerbating your illness.

I hear you can get up to 3% from savings accounts, so that's £ 4000 per year for doing nothing !

Get up to £ 220,000 for house, and that will give you 44 years of £ 5000 per annum taken from your savings account.
            As the house gets older your income may drop to £ 4000 per year, for extra repairs, which if
            £ 220,000 is in the bank, you can draw out £ 4000 per yer for 55 years.

What do you want ?
            A stressed life with no money in the bank
            or a stress free life with £ 200,000 in the bank.

NO contest, SELL.

At present, I have no money in the bank.
            I have borrowed up to a limit I can afford to pay back, but I am still looking at houses to buy. The houses are not in this country, so I can't remortgage.
            I am suing overseas builders for bad workmanship, have borrowed more money to put the work right, I have lost 12 months rent because of this.
            I may have to sell the odd classic high price car to fund this, after suing chromers for bad workmanship as well.. . . . . THAT IS STRESS ! ( all above )

But I can cope and bad people feel the might of my wrath, with hours of writing litigation reports for my overseas Solicitors, getting on planes for 5000 mile trips to sort them all out ( borrow more money - but will get it back under litigation ).

YOUR health is more important than the worry of a house.

Not everyone can cope with RUNNING A BUSINESS, as that is what you are doing; running a business.
            If you don't like the business or it causes you stress, then GET OUT.

I have been in a position of having only 1 hour to live - twice in 10 years, but I can bounce back, so all my trials and setbacks don't bother me, and the "chase",is what I thrive on.
            YOU cannot afford your health to be compromised. ( I can ) so sell up.

O.K. ?
            YOU too could be in my position. and be thankful that you will NEVER be in that position if you sell your house.

Comment

Wow Ram, i thank you for your detailed and very heartfelt opinion on this. I intend to read and keep reading this as it seems you have a lot of life experience and practical views to offer. Loads of good points in that which i hadnt considered. Appreciated.

Comment

My pleasure.
                I AM outspoken sometimes, go against the grain sometimes on legal matters, but reality checks often help.
                Look after yourself, as no one can do that for you.

R.a.M.

Comment

I agree with RAM - Sell the 60 years old house and reinvest the proceeds after tax elsewhere .

If you are left after paying capital gains tax with £200K, you could re-invest £100K into 20 high dividend shares and get 5+% overall return.

http://www.morningstar.co.uk/UK/NEWS...NG-STOCKS.ASPX

Comment

Perhaps the problem here is that a house worth £250.000 should bring in more than £7000 a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Never what it seems View Post
                      Perhaps the problem here is that a house worth £250.000 ( 250 - comma ) should bring in more than £7000 a year.
                      If you are talking rental income, then that is the problem.
                      Read the posts and understand the "exacerbated my illness" phrase.

No mortgage, but problems with tenants, mold etc. New landlord, probably accidental landlord by design.
                      This venture does not suit everyone.
                      I don't buy property to gain an income. I get an income ( or did ) by running a real business with 2600 customers every 6 months, ( from my back bedroom ) and not ONE customer every 6 months via rental properties.

I buy detached foreclosed property for $ 5000 to $ 12,000 in up and coming areas, spend $ 15,000 on renovation ( + roof if occasionally needed ). The rent pays off my investment within 5 years, then I sell for double, then move on to next one. ( let me know if you want any before refurbishment )
                      I leave the hassle to good agents.
                      Any problems can see the tenants given 30 days to leave. YES 30 days. + bailiffs of 20 days.
                      I don't have the hassle here in U.K.
                      I don't want the hassle here in the U.K. nor the overpriced houses ( by factor of 3 ) here in the U.K.

Cavan does not want the hassle. I have assured him and hope he takes mine and Gordon999's advice.

Comment

You don't say where the house is - but in parts of the country prices are falling and I can see the price of some types of property declining all over the country. Inflation is not the only factor as with inflation share returns or ordinary interest rates will eventually rise. however earnings may not and that affects house prices.

I've been looking to buy for my child but am thinking of holding off for the next 2 years as the risk of price falls now seems to me higher than the chance of price increases.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• not sure how to work out my most successful property
                          nickpan
                          Or even my least!
                          I'd like to sell a property, but not one of my better performers, but not sure what sums to do. How do fellow landlords calculate their favourite?
                          I'm sure it's something to do with equity, mortgage payments and rental income, but in what order?
                          And then....how...
                          26-07-2017, 08:18 AM
                        • Reply to not sure how to work out my most successful property
                          Logical.Lean
                          I would look at the current profit you make on each property, compared to how much equity you have in that property. I suppose you could call that Return on Capital Employed.
                          Then I'd do a SWOT on each one. What are the Strengths, Weaknesses Opportunities and Threats.
                          I'm actually doing...
                          26-07-2017, 20:45 PM
                        • remortgage for new purchase: rates
                          hospitality
                          I have a BTL with no mortgage. Just thinking of re-mortgaging the BTL, add some money from pocket and buy a new BTL. Banks are happy to lend at lower rates below 2%, but not when I tell them that I might buy the new BTL in a LTD Co. Then they want to charge more interest, as they consider it as business...
                          25-07-2017, 17:59 PM
                        • Reply to remortgage for new purchase: rates
                          hospitality
                          thank you, gentlemen.....
                          26-07-2017, 20:21 PM
                          Gordon999
                          Then, you can say you are looking out to buy another BTL ( but not mention buying under a company name ) ,
                          26-07-2017, 18:09 PM
                          loanarranger
                          Stating that you intend to buy another BtL property is acceptable for the vast majority of lenders , if however you stated it was to pay a tax demand then the majority of lenders would give a categoric No.
                          I have just raised a £750000 commercial loan in order that one party of the partnership...
                          26-07-2017, 16:36 PM
                          hospitality
                          That is where the problem is.. they ask why you want the funds, and then I feel compelled to disclose the plan. If I just say 'another BTL' and shut up, the fear is that they might (will they?) later ask for proof of new purchase and would see the LtdCo as the owner.. Will that lead to complication...
                          26-07-2017, 16:18 PM
                          hospitality
                          OK, thank you for clarifying that. You said 'slightly cheaper'.. why so, why not the same rates as personal BTL?
                          FYI, I had discussed with a/c and received the go ahead.
                          26-07-2017, 16:08 PM
                          Gordon999
                          Ah, you can re-mortgage the BTL held under your name at best rate and not say how you plan to spend the money..

After you have the money from mortgage lender , you can proceed to buy a BTL under company name without mortgage.....
                          26-07-2017, 16:08 PM
                          loanarranger
                          Fine you are going to capital raise , lend the monies plus other available funds to the Limited Co as a Directors loan , the Company in turn will own an unencumbered property. No issues, as long as your personal credentials meet the lenders minimum income requirements and the rental is strong enough...
                          26-07-2017, 15:04 PM
                        Working...
                        X