Have Underwriter rules on BTL loans changed in last 2 weeks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have Underwriter rules on BTL loans changed in last 2 weeks?

Without naming names about the lender:

Had a BTL interest-only mortgage offered in principle, they did credit checks etc and were happy.
    2 weeks ago I sent off all the forms and docs for a BTL loan with about 40% deposit so say 60% LTV.
    Followed up with a phone call to check if they were happy with all the info - yes.
    Surveyor is now scheduled by the lender.

Then, after 2 weeks new forms arrive in the post
    a) wanting fulsome details and supporting docs on how we will pay off the principle at end of the mortgage term (which will complete before I retire from my day job), and
    b) wanting evidence that both partners in the mortgage have an income source (outside of the obvious BTL rental income) to pay the interest-only BTL mortgage.

Suddenly all the boxes that I thought were ticked on this deal are apparently not.
    I'm scrambling to provide all this new stuff but the thought occurred to me - has something changed?

Have BTL mortgage rules imposed by the underwriters tightened up sharply in the last few weeks, behind the scenes? Be interesting to see if anyone else has this feeling.

There have been some minor tweeks to underwriting criteria but those indicated in your note seem a tad excessive , certainly when it comes to paying off the mortgage at the end of the mortgage term. Certainly lenders now want to see visible evidence of your primary income , not to see that you can afford the loan but as a measure of noting your financial income. Some lenders have dispensed with the need to earn say £25000 but if you say you have an income of £20000 then you have to prove it and that means having to produce your SA302 to demonstrate income and confirmation that the rent has been fully declared.
    To help you further can you indicate which lender you are dealing with.

Comment

I had already supplied pay slips to prove current income.
      The lender says there have been some changes/tightening on BTL (I was surprised to hear)
      But it turns out that the underwriter had only just got around to my file, underwriters are very busy it seems.
      It took a phone call to establish that not all the info listed is actually needed.
      However, there is after all a period of loan term I'd overlooked, beyond my currently planned retirement age. So they want proof of the repayment vehicle. It was the underwriter who picked up on this.
      Maybe not as bad as I thought then but the tardy response of the underwriter means I'm now rushing around getting new paperwork.

Comment

JerzyBalowski welcome to the world of procuring mortgage finance: much depends on the underwriters and the level of expertise: until the Credit Crunch the majority of lenders enjoyed the luxury of having very experienced Underwriters , sadly and in the interests of cost savings many were made redundant and those that were subsequently recruited have a big learning curve , in the meantime , service is slow , quirky underwriting decisions are made and worst of all it is nigh impossible to speak to the actual underwriters , having instead to communicate with well meaning call centre staff ( I often ask if they belong to Nev's Call Centre (Recently on TV) who can only communicate what is on the computer screen.

Best wishes and hope the funding comes through in time

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Changing boundaries?
          by royw
          Are you planning to sell either of them? If not just move the fence.
          08-12-2019, 12:52 PM
        • Changing boundaries?
          by Thyrsis
          I own two adjacent properties, one is my home and the other is rented out. I would like to take half of the garden from the rental and combine it with my garden. Can I do this without ‘buying’ the land from myself? I would also inform the Land Registry of the new boundaries.
          08-12-2019, 07:35 AM
        • Reply to Changing boundaries?
          by loanarranger
          If the properties are subject to mortgages you will need to discuss with the lenders as to what you are indeed proposing given that the land as its own intrinsic value and the transfer of land might have an adverse or enhanced effect depending on the property in question. I would suggest you consult...
          08-12-2019, 09:19 AM
        • Reply to Retrospective sub-division of a HMO and financing/refinancing strategy
          by loanarranger
          Can I make a slight correction Gordon to your last post and without wishing to sound clever;you are indeed correct regarding the possibility of the lender not allowing any flats to be extracted from the title but the possible exception is if the value of the Freehold plus the value of the remaining...
          07-12-2019, 14:13 PM
        • Retrospective sub-division of a HMO and financing/refinancing strategy
          by GaryE
          I have 5 self-contained bedsits and 1 x 1 bedroom self-contained flat all contained within a single HMO property. There is a shared kitchen and lounge and I have a HMO license and certificate of lawful development (change of use C3 to C4). My strategy is to wait 3 more years and get retrospective planning...
          04-12-2019, 15:20 PM
        • Reply to Retrospective sub-division of a HMO and financing/refinancing strategy
          by Gordon999
          If the mortgage lender has registered a charge against the freehold title for security of the loan, you will not be able to move any flats to separate leasehold title.
          07-12-2019, 13:15 PM
        • new HMO rules
          by Clulass
          I have a house which is let to 3 friends sharing it. Its now being classified as an HMO (ridiculously so in my opinion). An application has gone in, but the licence not yet been granted. And I won't hold my breath. I've now found it very hard to remortgage the property. I had a mortgage offer in process...
          05-12-2019, 11:35 AM
        • Reply to new HMO rules
          by jpkeates
          It is almost impossible for a landlord to legally let a property to two or more friends.
          The property has to be set up as an HMO, which is much more onerous than renting a "normal" rental property.
          It is difficult to get much more rent, because one of the reasons people want to...
          06-12-2019, 10:51 AM
        • Reply to new HMO rules
          by Clulass
          Still not sure why you said this though:

05-12-2019, 12:54 PM
          It's almost impossible to rent to two or more friends.
          This is why it almost never happens.
          05-12-2019, 18:13 PM
        • Reply to new HMO rules
          by jpkeates
          Sorry, I understood that.
          Groups of friends often want to rent together, and no one will let to them (despite it being the setup of many sitcoms!).

Two friends is fine until one meets someone else and they move in (which creates an HMO often without anyone realising.)
          Three...
          05-12-2019, 17:05 PM
        Working...
        X