Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you source your BTL mortgage?

Hi there

A few years ago, there was only a handful of BTL mortgages on the market. It got me wondering, is it more important to use a broker now that there is a variety of BTL products out there, or was it more important then, when they were more obscure and hard to find?

What do you guys think, do you always go direct or source a mortgage yourselves? What about other services a broker might offer, like investment advice or conveyancing?

Cheers

I always use these guys and have found there comparisson site very good. http://www.arlamortgages.co.uk/

Comment

A much higher proportion of BTL mortgages (as opposed to residential mortgages) are offered on an intermediaries-only basis (two of the biggest BTL lenders – The Mortgage Works and Birmingham Midshires – lend exclusively via intermediaries), so for this reason alone it’s pretty much essential to use a broker. Also the different lending criteria can be rather arcane, but a decent mortgage broker should be able to take the stress of worrying about that completely off your hands.

Regarding receiving other advice, in general I would rather use a mortgage broker for my mortgage, a decent conveyancing solicitors’ firm for my conveyancing, etc. etc. as opposed to a jack of all trades. If estate agents, mortgage brokers etc. say that they have their own conveyancers or financial advisers, all it usually means is that they will benefit from a kickback for having referred you, and you may well end up with an overpriced substandard service.

Comment

Originally posted by QuestForFreedom View Post
        I always use these guys and have found there comparisson site very good. http://www.arlamortgages.co.uk/
        Seems like a referrers site - if you read the small print - with everyone paying the other one a fee

Comment

Most importantly I didn't have to pay a fee and they have a very good selection of products. Staff on the phones also knowledgeable.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Mortgage News
            by loanarranger
            The following article has appeared in one of the Mortgage Trade journals reporting on views expressed by the Association of Mortgage Intermediaries an influential trade body within the mortgage industry.

"Mortgage rates are likely to rise in the first quarter of 2016 as lenders look...
            23-12-2015, 19:43 PM
          • Reply to Mortgage News
            by loanarranger
            Lenders are expecting an increase in mortgage payment defaults during 2021

High street banks are expecting more mortgage payment defaults at the start of this year, as demand is set to fall for home purchase lending.

The end of mortgage payment holidays, as the economic impact...
            21-01-2021, 16:19 PM
          • Buy a investment property for my niece
            by dip
            Hi,

Is it possible to buy a Buy To Let property for my niece?

My situation - I am a UK citizen and reside in the UK and pay all my taxes in the UK. I want to buy a property for my niece but she is a non-resident in the UK. We do not require to take a mortgage as I would be...
            10-01-2021, 17:33 PM
          • Reply to Mortgage News
            by loanarranger
            Nationwide are due to increase the maximum mortgage term to 40 years for lending at 90% LtV.
            With affordability under pressure for 1st time buyers the extension to 40 years will give positive assistance.
            20-01-2021, 23:11 PM
          • Reply to Affordability checks and buying 4th property
            by loanarranger
            Evidence of personal savings is not an integral part of the loan assessment process but as you correctly assumed it does indicate that the borrower does indeed have a safety buffer should the portfolio experience extended voids. A number of lenders experienced in portfolio lending do ask in the business...
            19-01-2021, 10:56 AM
          • Affordability checks and buying 4th property
            by Landlord Dave
            Hi All

Two questions:

Affordability Checks (Remortgage)
            When remortgaging BTLs, to what extent do savings contribute to a positive outcome with affordability checks, or do lenders not factor them in at all? Say you're in full-time secure employment, have a residential...
            18-01-2021, 01:43 AM
            by Landlord Dave
            Thanks. So in theory, if I have £100k, £50k or £5k in the bank, this makes no odds to the lender in their calculation? This is good news for me when I decide to invest my savings later this year. In my naivety, I thought savings would count as a positive as it shows you have a cushion e.g. should...
            18-01-2021, 23:49 PM
            by loanarranger
            As a Portfolio Investor there are only two main criteria on which a lender will base a loan assessment:-
            1) Minimum Earned Primary Income , each lender has a minimum base salary requirement.
            2) Is the rental adequate to meet the loan requirement based on the stress rate , which can vary...
            18-01-2021, 22:22 PM
            by jpucng62
            I have several mortgaged BTLs and some owned outright. The numbers have not been a problem to date with mortgages although I have to use different providers as often a mortgage holder will only allow a certain number of properties from one LL. eg I think Birmingham Midshires only allow you 3 mortgages...
            18-01-2021, 12:36 PM
            by Landlord Dave
            Thanks. I reckon the LTV will be in the region of 65-70% depending on valuation at the point of remortgage. Given I've just started toying with the idea, I reckon you're right. Hang fire until remortgage complete then look to purchase thereafter....
            18-01-2021, 10:52 AM
          Working...
          X