Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you source your BTL mortgage?

Hi there

A few years ago, there was only a handful of BTL mortgages on the market. It got me wondering, is it more important to use a broker now that there is a variety of BTL products out there, or was it more important then, when they were more obscure and hard to find?

What do you guys think, do you always go direct or source a mortgage yourselves? What about other services a broker might offer, like investment advice or conveyancing?

Cheers

I always use these guys and have found there comparisson site very good. http://www.arlamortgages.co.uk/

Comment

A much higher proportion of BTL mortgages (as opposed to residential mortgages) are offered on an intermediaries-only basis (two of the biggest BTL lenders – The Mortgage Works and Birmingham Midshires – lend exclusively via intermediaries), so for this reason alone it’s pretty much essential to use a broker. Also the different lending criteria can be rather arcane, but a decent mortgage broker should be able to take the stress of worrying about that completely off your hands.

Regarding receiving other advice, in general I would rather use a mortgage broker for my mortgage, a decent conveyancing solicitors’ firm for my conveyancing, etc. etc. as opposed to a jack of all trades. If estate agents, mortgage brokers etc. say that they have their own conveyancers or financial advisers, all it usually means is that they will benefit from a kickback for having referred you, and you may well end up with an overpriced substandard service.

Comment

Originally posted by QuestForFreedom View Post
        I always use these guys and have found there comparisson site very good. http://www.arlamortgages.co.uk/
        Seems like a referrers site - if you read the small print - with everyone paying the other one a fee

Comment

Most importantly I didn't have to pay a fee and they have a very good selection of products. Staff on the phones also knowledgeable.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• 90 LTV investment advice?
            diseasex
            HI guys, I'm new to this forum and new landlord.
            I have 1 property I bought few years back at 75 ltv but since moved out and renting it, whilst still at residential mortgage.
            I'm currently buying another house at 90LTV with intention to rent out and seek consent to let in few months....
            22-09-2019, 18:56 PM
          • Reply to 90 LTV investment advice?
            AndrewDod
            Good luck again with the swan
            22-09-2019, 22:34 PM
            diseasex
            Gosh. What is it with these forums
            My strategy is to own 2-3 90 LTV properties at any given time (if that's even possible) and overpay them quickly within 2 year fixed period to 75LTV then turn them to interest only potentially. Comprende? That’s not rocket science jeez. All you do is ‘what...
            22-09-2019, 21:58 PM
            AndrewDod
            Yes, just like that...

You: My strategy is to own 10 properties at 90% LTV
            Mr Bank manager: That sounds like a plan
            You: The properties will be £100K each and I will pay £10K of that. The rental yield will be 4% and all expenses around 1% of V.
            Mr Bank manager: That...
            22-09-2019, 21:50 PM
            diseasex
            Do you know anyone that tried perhaps? Or is this rule written anywhere? I’m not trying to be rude, just looking for information.

​​​​​​​now that is hard to believe to lose property just like that...
            22-09-2019, 21:10 PM
            AndrewDod
            No but lenders will care about that and your first 90% LTV is likely to be your last. Again, the best of luck.

A 50% drop on a few 90% LTVs mean that you are in the red to the tune of 40% of the total value of your portfolio. I'd call that pretty much "ruined" with no way out...
            22-09-2019, 21:01 PM
            diseasex
            Thanks I’ve already done that. Even 50% drop wouldn’t ruin me, I’m placing a bet on certain area and not your business what I’m doing with my money and what’s my risk appetite or strategy to reduce risk

now back to original question: is having multiple 90 LTV mortgages possible...
            22-09-2019, 20:54 PM
            AndrewDod
            Good luck with that small irrelevancy...... you might want to go and study a little economics and history as leaseholder64 suggests...
            22-09-2019, 20:49 PM
            diseasex
            Yes. Then seek consent to let in 3 months.

If it's a car crash, tell me how.

I was actually thinking of buying half repayment , half interest only portfolio, but actually have more properties faster than saving for huge deposit and SDLT for BTL each time...
            22-09-2019, 19:31 PM
            leaseholder64
            It was highly leveraged investment, not so much the actual stock market fall, that bankrupted people the great Wall Street crash.

Also, have I misunderstood you, or are you pretending to buy as owner occupier?
            22-09-2019, 19:28 PM
          Working...
          X