Burnley investments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all this is my first time posting here, coincidently I signed up to ask pretty much the same thing as Hech123.
    In general I have been looking at properties in the £30K region, when I’ve searched for rental prices for similar properties they tend to be around £300 per month. I guess the question is how long do these stay vacant? Presumably there is also a large risk of getting non-desirable tenants at this end of the market.
    Hech123 if you find out any more useful information I would be interested to hear it, I have mailed a few agents to so I will be happy to pass on anything of use.

Comment

Originally posted by hech123 View Post
      Gordon, thanks for the history lesson, very interesting. Pony, great news thanks, what do you pay for properties in Burnley and what are the returns? Claymore, you ever want any advice or are interested in joint venture feel free to message me.

My update on Burnley is currently - I spoke to the manager of 500+ units there, he said yes you can get houses for £15,000 but most of these are in bad areas and tenants will be constantly moving and trashing the place. His advice was to buy at possibly £40k-£50k in much better areas, this I may look at but I was hoping for lower prices and higher returns to be honest.

One idea would to be to try and buy a full street in a bad area or the outskirts of one and refurb the full lot changing the name etc... Obviously we may need a few investors working together in this. I do not mind LHA tenants but understand there seems to be an over supply in Burnley and the local population has been in decline.

Pony is it possible to get things for £20k-£30k that would rent out ok? Let me know your thoughts and I may be interested in meeting up/talking
      It is possible, the problem is finding the right area. It's not unusual to drive down a street of 50 houses and 40 of them are "To Let", and have been for the past two months.

An area I would recommend looking at would be Bacup (10 minute drive from burnley) you won't find as many house for sale in that price range, but a few do pop up (I am planning on buying a few this year). The demand is a lot higher in this area, it's not unusual for us to let a 3 bedroom property within hours of the landlord signing our contract.

Feel free to send me a message if you need any more help.

Comment

Hi Pony, any further?

Comment

I was up north this past weekend. Burnley definitely not for me. Have spoken to some local people who feel Darwin could be up and coming. You can pick places up at auction for about 40K. I think Darwin has a good train link to Manchester (for working tenants).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• is it better to pay off mortgage or buy a few more ?
            craig2222
            I owe £49000 on my btl.I have £70000 in the bank .I could pay off mortgage or I could put down 2 deposits on 2 more buy to let's if I purchased around £80000 and I would still have money left over.Could I have some advise please or what would anyone else do ? .In my opinion buying 2 more would be...
            21-07-2017, 07:22 AM
          • Residential Remortgage, Consent to Let and Purchase of New Build
            ajtaylor
            I have a complex situation I would welcome some advice on. I have stumped my two mortgage broker so far. Any ideas/tips would be most welcome. The scenario is;

My wife and I currently own outright a property worth £410k. We are looking to release equity in order to purchase a new build,...
            15-07-2017, 21:27 PM
          • Reply to Residential Remortgage, Consent to Let and Purchase of New Build
            Logical.Lean
            Sometimes, you get the feeling that some brokers sometimes, use smoke and mirrors, to make it more complicated than it seems so you are happy to pay their fees, because they have been able to turn your 'difficult' situation around....
            20-07-2017, 20:41 PM
          • After much procrastination I need to ask some questions about Loans.
            Logical.Lean
            Sometime ago I posted something along similar lines, but it's now clearer to me what we want to do.

My wife and I live in Merseyside where we have paid off our residential mortgage about 4 years ago.

We have a Buy to Let with a 70% loan at £90K

I work as a Consultant...
            20-07-2017, 18:27 PM
          • Reply to After much procrastination I need to ask some questions about Loans.
            Logical.Lean
            Does the fact that I will "almost" definitely want to let it out at some point in the future, (just not sure on the timescale) impact the answer to question 1 ?...
            20-07-2017, 19:03 PM
          • Reply to After much procrastination I need to ask some questions about Loans.
            MrShed
            2 simple answers!!

1 - yes
            2 - wholly dependant upon lender
            20-07-2017, 18:32 PM
          • Paying off my BTL
            dotcotton999
            Evening all,

What are people's thoughts on paying off a BTL mortgage early... especially seeing as mortgage interest is no longer seen as a 100% deduction.

I currently have 18 years left on my mortgage but I was thinking of reducing my term to get it paid off especially because...
            19-07-2017, 19:09 PM
          • Reply to Paying off my BTL
            Logical.Lean
            Can you use excel?

You might be able check different scenarios, and see what your return on (Your) investment after tax is.

And you can compare different levels of borrowing, interest rate, and taxation.

Note I say your investment because

Say...
            20-07-2017, 18:11 PM
            PJackson
            To be pedantic, the amount you can deduct is reducing to zero but you get 20% tax relief on what isn't deducted....
            20-07-2017, 15:19 PM
            loanarranger
            Heads you win , Tails you win.
            have you considered putting aside more of the rental surplus and once you have a £1000 plus to make a Capital Payment off of your mortgage or indeed request the loan to be converted to a Capital & Interest loan and make progressive reductions and if there were...
            20-07-2017, 13:42 PM
          Working...
          X