Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student BTL - timing issues

Hi everyone

I don't often post here, having joined due to leasehold issues around two years ago.

I'm looking at the different options for my next BTL and wondered if any of you care sharing your thoughts.

The nearest higher yield properties to me are about 5 miles away and serve two large universities.

It's 10 years since I left uni, so I would appreciate some advice on:

1) When people normally sign up
    2) When they usually move in
    3) What's the latest you could leave it...
    4) Finally, what do I do with the void if I buy in April but they don't move in until Sept?

Many thanks in advance!!

BB

Really all the questions you ask will be determined by how the local student market works, for example students in different cities will start looking for accommodation at different times.

The key will be to do your research in the city you're looking to buy in to get a feel for how the local market works.

Comment

Ok - I'll work on the assumption that it's April/May for signing up at the latest and that they move in at best in August/Sept.

Can you help out with Q4?

Tbh, I was pretty sure of Qs 1-3, but Q4 is the main problem!

Comment

Best not to assume! All our student accommodation is already fully let for the 2013/14 acdemic year, we started signing people up in Oct/Nov last year!

Also all our tenancies run for 52 weeks so our tenants move in in June/July but as said it all depends on how it works your specific location.

Really all you can do with the void if you end up completing on th epurchase in April is either use the time to gat the property up to standard or try to let on a tenancy that starts earlier.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Joint-Mortgage friend not paying their half
          louisck
          Hi. Wasn't sure where to post this. I have tried to use google but almost all the information regarding joint-mortgage is between couples. I am wondering, if you have a joint-mortgage, but one person refuses to pay, leaving you with all the payments; can you get their name removed from the title-deeds...
          23-07-2017, 10:21 AM
        • Reply to Joint-Mortgage friend not paying their half
          loanarranger
          It is entirely down to the lender as to whether party B can be allowed to be discharged from the mortgage and that as I pointed out is 100% dependent on where Party A can satisfy them of his ability to meet the mortgage payments using his financial data using the prevailing loan affordability matrix....
          23-07-2017, 14:22 PM
          leaseholder64
          Loanarranger: I think we actually agree. I was trying to keep the posting short as it is basically saying there is no simple way of doing it, and possibly didn't make it clear that you would both permission from the other party to buy them, and to arrange new mortgage terms. (I believe the mortgagee...
          23-07-2017, 13:09 PM
          loanarranger
          leasehold64 , unfortunately one cannot just start a new mortgage or transfer the mortgage into a sole name until the other party has given agreement to relinquish their share of the property or sell their interest at an agreed price, then one has to approach the lender and establish if their own income...
          23-07-2017, 12:49 PM
          leaseholder64
          I don't believe that being a couple makes any difference here, except, possibly, for tax. England v Scotland might and, using English terms, tenants in common versus joint tenants probably does.

You can't force them to sell their share to you, and you will probably need to start a new...
          23-07-2017, 10:45 AM
          jpkeates
          The ownership on the title and the mortgage aren't connected.

The beneficial ownership may be affected, but it would take a court to determine that (and depriving a property owner of the entire property for not paying some of a loan secured against it would be a huge step).

23-07-2017, 10:36 AM
          MrShed
          Not without the other persons permission, no.

You would have to sue the other person for their share of the mortgage.

Whats the situation here, do both parties still live in the property? Some context may be helpful as to options.

(PS - "couples" are...
          23-07-2017, 10:29 AM
        • nalogbuhgalter.ru - оптимизация налогов, бухгалтерский учет Санкт-Петербург..
          ejuokersf
          Вам не выгодно содержать штатного бухгалтера? Вы не хотите доверять бухгалтерский учет вашей компании случайным людям? Вы хотите, чтобы бухгалтерский учет велся с...
          22-07-2017, 17:33 PM
        • Residential Remortgage, Consent to Let and Purchase of New Build
          ajtaylor
          I have a complex situation I would welcome some advice on. I have stumped my two mortgage broker so far. Any ideas/tips would be most welcome. The scenario is;

My wife and I currently own outright a property worth £410k. We are looking to release equity in order to purchase a new build,...
          15-07-2017, 21:27 PM
        • Reply to Residential Remortgage, Consent to Let and Purchase of New Build
          loanarranger
          I am inclined to agree with Logical.Lean. Lending solutions come from experience and working on a face to face basis with both clients and brokers. Nothing is " Complex" as each case will have its own characteristics and there is normally a mental "Flow Chart" which enables the broker...
          21-07-2017, 14:50 PM
        Working...
        X