Question about regulations in BMV property sourcing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about regulations in BMV property sourcing

I just wondered if any of you would be able to help me with a query I have.

I'm not an investor myself, my involvence in the property market in the past has purely been at a property sourcing level. I would generate BMV leads for investors and sell them for a price per lead depending on the potential value of the lead.

Now this was all back in the day of sell and rent back not being regulated and before the recession hitting everyone. Eventually, as investors struggled to get mortgages and advertising for the properties became more and more regulated, I stopped generating these leads. I also had a baby, so stopped working for a while. Basically I've been out of 'the scene' for a few years now!

So my question is; can somebody please give me an idea what regulations stand today in this market? Is it ok to advertise that you can 'buy property quickly/within 28 days', so long as you don't offer a sell and rent back service?

Is it ok to say you are able to pass details on to regulated companies if a visitor is interested in sell and rent back? Or is that a complete no no?

Are there any other new regulations I should be aware of before getting back into the BMV lead market? Obviously I will need an information commissioners license, but do I need to think of anything else to be perfectly legal and legit?

All help very gratefully appreciated!

I think it is ok to advertise still but not to rent back to people.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, and also to David for pm'ing me, I tried to send a pm back to thank you, but not allowed as i'm a new member

Comment

No problem - I hope the forum link was useful
        CFA

Comment

Originally posted by hech123 View Post
          I think it is ok to advertise still but not to rent back to people.
          Does this mean: you can buy a property at BMV (distressed sale), but you are not 'allowed' to then rent it back to the sellers?

Comment

Claymore - Only businesses that have full FSA approval can undertake sale and rent back (SARB) arrangements and it would be foolish of anyone looking to buy property to make any mention of it or even get involved in referring the distressed vendor to someone who does - it is a minefield.

Advertising to buy property quickly and coming to an arrangement with a 'motivated' vendor is no problem whatsoever - it is when that 'motivated' seller might be more accurately described as a 'distressed' seller that things tend to get a little more involved and can go awry.
            CFA

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Residential Remortgage, Consent to Let and Purchase of New Build
              ajtaylor
              I have a complex situation I would welcome some advice on. I have stumped my two mortgage broker so far. Any ideas/tips would be most welcome. The scenario is;

My wife and I currently own outright a property worth £410k. We are looking to release equity in order to purchase a new build,...
              15-07-2017, 21:27 PM
            • Reply to Residential Remortgage, Consent to Let and Purchase of New Build
              loanarranger
              I am inclined to agree with Logical.Lean. Lending solutions come from experience and working on a face to face basis with both clients and brokers. Nothing is " Complex" as each case will have its own characteristics and there is normally a mental "Flow Chart" which enables the broker...
              21-07-2017, 14:50 PM
            • is it better to pay off mortgage or buy a few more ?
              craig2222
              I owe £49000 on my btl.I have £70000 in the bank .I could pay off mortgage or I could put down 2 deposits on 2 more buy to let's if I purchased around £80000 and I would still have money left over.Could I have some advise please or what would anyone else do ? .In my opinion buying 2 more would be...
              21-07-2017, 07:22 AM
            • Reply to is it better to pay off mortgage or buy a few more ?
              boletus
              You unfortunately bought close to the market peak but 20% is still a long way from 50% down. And there are still 11 years to go from the over two decades suggestion. Plus it is your residential property, presumably bought for very different reasons than investment property.

(I'm not buying...
              21-07-2017, 12:34 PM
              MrShed
              Not all that unlikely. My personal residence has fallen by comfortably over 20% in real terms over the past 9 years. Remember as well that the general market trend is no good to the individual if the individual is the outlier - and someones property has to be the outlier!!

However I agree...
              21-07-2017, 12:15 PM
              PJackson
              Since you are looking at spending £80k I assume you will be getting decent returns. So if you lost your job your BTL(s) would provide an income.
              I am struggling to imagine what sort of repair could cost £25k on a £80 property and would not be covered by insurance.

First I would...
              21-07-2017, 11:36 AM
              boletus
              He would be paying around £250 pcm, easily covered by the rent. If they went to 10%, he'd still be covered.

Possible but highly unlikely and he doesn't necessarily have to sell then, the mortgage is in nominal terms being paid for by the rent.

Agreed,...
              21-07-2017, 11:29 AM
              AndrewDod
              Exactly right.

Has OP worked out what would happen to him if mortgage rates went up to 6%
              and
              property prices fell 50% in real terms over the next two decades
              and
              we have several more bits of lettings legislation, rent caps and a Corbyn Government who thinks they...
              21-07-2017, 10:24 AM
              MrShed
              Couldnt agree more!! It completely depends on what YOU think is going to happen in the medium term, and what YOUR risk appetite is, as well as your personal circumstances.

For what its worth - I personally would pay it off, as I wouldnt be buying more BTLs in the current market and with...
              21-07-2017, 09:12 AM
              jpkeates
              It depends on what you are trying to achieve and over what time scale and the income and costs involved.

There isn't a right answer to that question.
              21-07-2017, 09:05 AM
            Working...
            X