Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collection of questions from a new investor

Hi All,

I have been reading these forums with enthusiasm and am looking for some answers(if possible) to my probably basic questions. I have £300000 to invest in property, we live in London and would like to buy a property near to our house and let and maintain it ourselves, working to maximise rental income. So the questions;

Is it better to spend what we have on a property or get a mortgage and buy a more expensive property? I am cautious about taking out a mortgage but don't want to seriously reduce our returns due to being nervous!

For 300000 we could get a 12year old 2 bed or a 1 year old 1 bed (considerably smaller), both seem to rent for about 1400, can you offer any guidance as to which may be better as the financials seem the same.

Is it better to offer furnished or unfurnished?

What sort of insurance would you recommend (if any?)

Do you all market on rightmove via an agent? Would it be harder to rent out/achieve a reasonable rental price if we advertised on free rental websites only and not rightmove?

In terms of tax, what happens if the preperty is owned jointly, does 40% tax level come into play when either or both the owners are over the income threshold?

I would be interested to see what someone's typical monthly outgoings are for a similar rental.

The managing agents fees seem very steep ~£3000, does this seem a lot to you? Presumably this is the landlords responsibility and include building insurance, but it will certainly dent our rental income.

I think that is it for now, thanks so much for taking the time to read (and hopefully reply!) All insights are welcome, no matter how small.

Best wishes

1. You should consult 3 local letting agents about buying BTL property - about the strength of the rental demand for 1 and 2 bed units , waiting time for a tenant , rental levels and whether furnished or unfurnished etc.

2. Best to use a local letting agent for first year until you really understand the "rental business". The LA will charge fee for finding a tenant and extra for managing the tenancy agreement.

3. For jointly owned property, each person must make annual tax return for 50% of the rental income, claim 50% rental expenses and pay tax on the 50% rental profit - calculated after deducting allowable expenses.

4. If you buy a leasehold flat in a block of flats , there is usually annual ground rent and service charge for building maintenance to pay. If you choose a block with porter then you may well be paying over $3K for service charge.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Joint-Mortgage friend not paying their half
      louisck
      Hi. Wasn't sure where to post this. I have tried to use google but almost all the information regarding joint-mortgage is between couples. I am wondering, if you have a joint-mortgage, but one person refuses to pay, leaving you with all the payments; can you get their name removed from the title-deeds...
      23-07-2017, 10:21 AM
    • Reply to Joint-Mortgage friend not paying their half
      loanarranger
      It is entirely down to the lender as to whether party B can be allowed to be discharged from the mortgage and that as I pointed out is 100% dependent on where Party A can satisfy them of his ability to meet the mortgage payments using his financial data using the prevailing loan affordability matrix....
      23-07-2017, 14:22 PM
      leaseholder64
      Loanarranger: I think we actually agree. I was trying to keep the posting short as it is basically saying there is no simple way of doing it, and possibly didn't make it clear that you would both permission from the other party to buy them, and to arrange new mortgage terms. (I believe the mortgagee...
      23-07-2017, 13:09 PM
      loanarranger
      leasehold64 , unfortunately one cannot just start a new mortgage or transfer the mortgage into a sole name until the other party has given agreement to relinquish their share of the property or sell their interest at an agreed price, then one has to approach the lender and establish if their own income...
      23-07-2017, 12:49 PM
      leaseholder64
      I don't believe that being a couple makes any difference here, except, possibly, for tax. England v Scotland might and, using English terms, tenants in common versus joint tenants probably does.

You can't force them to sell their share to you, and you will probably need to start a new...
      23-07-2017, 10:45 AM
      jpkeates
      The ownership on the title and the mortgage aren't connected.

The beneficial ownership may be affected, but it would take a court to determine that (and depriving a property owner of the entire property for not paying some of a loan secured against it would be a huge step).

23-07-2017, 10:36 AM
      MrShed
      Not without the other persons permission, no.

You would have to sue the other person for their share of the mortgage.

Whats the situation here, do both parties still live in the property? Some context may be helpful as to options.

(PS - "couples" are...
      23-07-2017, 10:29 AM
    • nalogbuhgalter.ru - оптимизация налогов, бухгалтерский учет Санкт-Петербург..
      ejuokersf
      Вам не выгодно содержать штатного бухгалтера? Вы не хотите доверять бухгалтерский учет вашей компании случайным людям? Вы хотите, чтобы бухгалтерский учет велся с...
      22-07-2017, 17:33 PM
    • Residential Remortgage, Consent to Let and Purchase of New Build
      ajtaylor
      I have a complex situation I would welcome some advice on. I have stumped my two mortgage broker so far. Any ideas/tips would be most welcome. The scenario is;

My wife and I currently own outright a property worth £410k. We are looking to release equity in order to purchase a new build,...
      15-07-2017, 21:27 PM
    • Reply to Residential Remortgage, Consent to Let and Purchase of New Build
      loanarranger
      I am inclined to agree with Logical.Lean. Lending solutions come from experience and working on a face to face basis with both clients and brokers. Nothing is " Complex" as each case will have its own characteristics and there is normally a mental "Flow Chart" which enables the broker...
      21-07-2017, 14:50 PM
    Working...
    X