Buy to Let for First time buyer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• geosword
    started a topic Buy to Let for First time buyer?

Buy to Let for First time buyer?

Hi Everyone.
    I own a house, but having inherited it, have never had a mortgage on it or indeed any other property. Now I want to invest in property, and buy a house with the view to letting it out. However I see that most of the mortgage lenders insist on you having had a mortgage before you get a buy to let mortgage. Does anyone else have experience of this and if so, how did you get around it?
    I have enough money saved that I would only need 70-75% mortgage.
    Thanks
    Dylan

• Gordon999
    replied
    If you have had a mortgage before, the mortgage lender can check your monthly re-payment record as they don't want to lend to any person who is proven to be an "unreliable payer". It may help you if you have bank statements to show you are a good consistent saver.

Even if you can raise the 25% -30% initial deposit, you still need to keep some savings in reserve in case (1) your tenant stops paying you - such that you can still meet your monthly mortgage re-payments (2) rental demand in your neighbourhood is poor and taking a long time to find tenant.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• If you were just starting out
    Propertygoesup
    Just interested in how to advise a 20 year old who is just starting out in the real world. They have left school and got an average full time job and can still live at the parents rent free for as long as they like.
    What would your first financial aim be? Would all your savings go into a deposit...
    12-02-2019, 16:29 PM
  • Reply to If you were just starting out
    hech123
    I am not sure about this one. For the last 400 years property has always went up. There have been ups and downs but there has never been a consistent fall in property for a sustained period of time...
    17-02-2019, 11:42 AM
  • Getting into buy to let before 21
    jack_dickinson
    I've been looking at getting into letting properties as a SPV would this be possible at 19 as some lenders are picky on age as it would be under a business which i'm a director of would this make it more likely to obtain a btl mortgage. The LTV would be around 70%. If anyone could shed any light on...
    15-02-2019, 22:21 PM
  • Reply to Getting into buy to let before 21
    loanarranger
    I have done some research to try and help you in your quest to become a Landlord. The following lenders indicate a preparedness to accept an applicant with a minimum age of 18;-
    Family Building Soc (BS)
    Ipswich BS
    Skipton BS
    Kent Reliance
    Furness BS
    Leeds BS
    16-02-2019, 21:47 PM
  • Reply to If you were just starting out
    PJackson
    When I started I was going to work on a scooter and spending most of what I earned. But as my salary went up I started saving for a car, then a pension, then a deposit for a house.
    I bought my first flat for £65k in 1989 and lost £25k on it which put me off investing in property for a long time....
    16-02-2019, 14:53 PM
  • Reply to Getting into buy to let before 21
    loanarranger
    Borrowing via a Ltd Co will require a person to provide a Personal Guarantee which in itself requires that person to earn a satisfactory level of income to meet the liabilities of the company , a normal condition is being a homeowner and certainly irrespective of whether the funding is via a Ltd Co...
    16-02-2019, 09:16 AM
  • Buy to let and re mortgage ... please advise..
    Uselesswithmoney
    Hello All

I am a first time poster so please be kind .. I know most of you lot are probably seasoned professionals but my dilema is .

In 2013 i inherited a property , i did it up and rented it out , it is still being rented at present ..(No Mortgage) current value about 275000....
    14-02-2019, 19:28 PM
  • Reply to Buy to let and re mortgage ... please advise..
    loanarranger
    If you let your present property because the market is against you but you buy a new primary residence , you will initially pay the 3% SDLT premium but if yourformer home is subsequently sold within a specific period ( I think it is 36 months) you are entitled to a rebate.

Inherited property...
    15-02-2019, 20:35 PM
  • portfolio landlord struggling for lenders
    cornishlad
    hi thanks in advance for response all advice appreciated
    I have four in num properties currently all on btl, all with borrowing of 50- 75% I have a fith property currently being built with 0 borrowing , im hoping once completed to mortgage on btl [ after 6 months ] with the funds being used to...
    15-02-2019, 19:43 PM
  • Reply to portfolio landlord struggling for lenders
    loanarranger
    You seem to have misunderstood the criteria of BM & TMW , as you have 4 properties as BtL’s you fall under a much stricter affordability regime which does carry an assessment of each property meeting their Portfolio rental assessment, have an adequate level of income BM for example require a minimum...
    15-02-2019, 20:30 PM
Working...
X