Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my property now on credit blacklist?

Hello,

My property is blacklisted. This is mainly due to the fact that a tenant of the property (prior to me taking landlord ownership of the property) has incurred multiple parking fines, with his vehicle still registed to the property address.

Despite my numerous attempts to get the DVLA to send me a letter of confirmation that his vehicle is not registered to this address, the claiming councils have blacklisted the property and sent baliffs around to hassle my existing tenants.

Has anyone here experienced a similar scenario, and can anyone give any advice on how to rectify this situation? Many thanks.
    Kind Regards,

If the Council are the cause of the hassle, do the tenants understand that it's not your fault?
    Why not do a credit ref. on the baddie and then ask the credit referee (eg Experian, Equifax, etc.) to add a note of clarification to its records?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Credit Checks

Thanks Jeffrey - would I be able to do a credit check on a past tenant?

Problem is I don't have his current address or contact details, only his name and passport photocopy from the former landlord.

And would a clarification by a credit agency actually remove the blacklisting from the property?

My existing tenants understand the situation and are being very good about it, fortunately for me.
      Kind Regards,

Comment

I didn't think properties were blacklisted any longer - only people.
        ASSUME NOTHING - QUESTION EVERYTHING!

Comment

Originally posted by AtullGupta View Post
          Thanks Jeffrey - would I be able to do a credit check on a past tenant?

Problem is I don't have his current address or contact details, only his name and passport photocopy from the former landlord.

And would a clarification by a credit agency actually remove the blacklisting from the property?

My existing tenants understand the situation and are being very good about it, fortunately for me.
          Do a credit check on the ex-tenant's name but at your property's address. This should reveal the problem entries.
          The Co. will not delete the entries, since it is itself not a creditor of the ex-tenant, but it will add (on your request) a note of clarification.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

paragon - i too thought the same? We sometimes have problems when tenants leave and they have incurred large debts and have collection agencies at the door. Therefore the new tenants do get a bit of hassle but as soon as they show the collections people their TA they they get left alone.

Comment

Send the council an email telling them the people they are looking for no longer live at that address and, for sure, the property itself didn't commit any driving offences.
              ASSUME NOTHING - QUESTION EVERYTHING!

Comment

I had this trouble in my flat, I would keep a copy of my AST at the door along with a copy of my passport! Any letters that come in the name of the bad guy return to sender.. mark as gone away. Do the same when the bailiff comes knocking.. its an issue but nothing you can do about it.
                GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Tenant disappeared - banks chasing ME

Hi, Im new to the Forum.
                  I had a couple as tenants in one of my Buy-to-lets. They left in Feb 2008, when the tenancy agreement ended owing me no money. All was fine - or so I thought. I started to receive a LOT of mail for the couple, most of which I returned marked "no longer at this address". New tenants moved in (lovely couple), still the mail arrives for the old tenants. The new couple have just been away for 10 weeks (they are in the Navy). Whilst they were away, their relatives were checking in on the house to make sure all was OK. They opened one of the letters from a bank because it had asked to be opened and not returned. Apparently HSBC is saying that the old tenants had made purchases, and taken out loans using MY house as security, and if they can not trace the old tenants, the debt becomes the propertys responsibility, hence, MINE!
                  Im panicking becasue they owed tens of thousands, and I have no forward address for them!
                  Can the banks & shops do this?
                  Any help or advice appreciated,
                  Regards
                  Lee

Comment

It sounds like the fault of the banks for lending money against property that the person did not own. I can’t see any way that you would be liable. I would also double check that the letters are valid and not some form of scam.
                    I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

Please clarify. Are these
                      • secured loans or
                      • personal loans?

Do you understand the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Mars Mug View Post
                        It sounds like the fault of the banks for lending money against property that the person did not own. I can’t see any way that you would be liable.
                        Hi Mars Mug, and thanks for the quick reply.

This was my thoughts, and I hope we are right. Im waiting for a solicitor to call me back. Im just trying to get as much thoughts and advice that I can.
                        A lot of the debt is from BrightHouse, and apparently they were particularly lapse with details and info required in their credit application forms.

Cheers
                        Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy View Post
                          Please clarify. Are these
                          • secured loans or
                          • personal loans?

Do you understand the difference?
                          Hi Poppy, Thanks for your quick reply. I do understand the difference bewteen secured and personal. As far as I can make out, some of the loans were apparently secured agains the property. But how can this be done? I am the sole owner, they were merely tenants?
                          If they had managed to secure the loans, surely its fraud, and its down to the banks to find the tenants, and not down to me to foot the bill?
                          Cheers
                          Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Southcoast Landlord View Post
                            Hi Poppy, Thanks for your quick reply. I do understand the difference bewteen secured and personal. As far as I can make out, some of the loans were apparently secured agains the property. But how can this be done? I am the sole owner, they were merely tenants?
                            If they had managed to secure the loans, surely its fraud, and its down to the banks to find the tenants, and not down to me to foot the bill?
                            Cheers
                            Lee
                            It would be similar to identity theft (if not the same). If someone secures a loan using my house as security, i.e. what most people understand to be identity theft, then I do not become liable for repaying the loan. Surely names and signatures on forms carry more weight than an address?
                            I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

Originally posted by Mars Mug View Post
                              It would be similar to identity theft (if not the same). If someone secures a loan using my house as security, i.e. what most people understand to be identity theft, then I do not become liable for repaying the loan. Surely names and signatures on forms carry more weight than an address?
                              What you are saying obviously makes sense, and I hope you are right Mars Mug.
                              I'll keep you updated once i hear back form the solicitor.
                              Cheers
                              Lee

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X