Residential mortgage; can L sub-let without consent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Residential mortgage; can L sub-let without consent?

Dear All,
    I let out my property 4 months ago after it failed to sell. I called my bank to inform them that the property was being put on the market as a let and they said I should call when the property is actually let out and from that date I would be given 12 months of grace to stay on my tracker mortgage and then I would have to switch to a BTL. My problem is that my tenant (a reputable company) wants the property for a foreign manager for 2 years and I have no concerns about their ability to pay. The rent payment is double my total repayment mortgage as my interest rate is almost zero so obviously I would prefer to stay put on the tracker as I cannot see any dramatic rise in rates for the next 2 years. Am I better keeping quiet and paying HMRC tax on the whole amount of yearly rental income less expenses (except mortgage interest) or is their a way of calculating the annual interest without alerting the bank. I have read on the forums that you can request an annual statement detailing the interest and repayment portions of your mortgage payments but I am worried that this would "remind" the bank that the house has been let. How can I get round this. I am pretty miffed at having to further enrich a bank which would have gone to the wall if it had not been bailed out by tax payers. Thanks for any advice offered.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Unfair competition
    by Codger
    The private rented sector faces unfair competition from subsidised public housing. We are also more stringently policed by local authorities.
    When i pay taxes some of it is spent on putting me out of business.
    And the rules keep changing during contracts not just for new investments...
    06-08-2022, 14:41 PM
  • Reply to Unfair competition
    by jpkeates
    Just the people to have empathy with the customers of social housing.

Not for profit doesn't mean that there's a lot of money being made....
    08-08-2022, 12:37 PM
    by theartfullodger
    Then you'll be getting a job as one, the logical action if you really believed this.

May I 'umbly assert you have zero evidence for your assertion....
    08-08-2022, 11:59 AM
    by jpucng62
    There is room for everybody in the rental sector and more! What we need to do is build more affordable housing so that everyone can afford to buy or rent a home.
    08-08-2022, 10:28 AM
    by Ted.E.Bear
    Social housing was introduced in order to clear the slums that were created when private landlords had free reign.
    I think that paying benefits so that private landlords can profit is not a particularly good use of public money, it would be more efficient to build homes that don't need to provide...
    08-08-2022, 08:57 AM
    by DoricPixie
    Go and set up a housing association and appoint yourself CEO if you think it’s that kooshdie....
    08-08-2022, 04:12 AM
    by gnvqsos
    What is a housing CEO? How can you comment on their role in such an uninformed manner. Any tenants reading your comments would lose any respect they have for landlords. You should sell up and let another person run your properties ,with a little humility and less self-pity.
    07-08-2022, 19:42 PM
    by Codger
    Being a housing ceo is a doddle compared with being a btl landlord.
    Lots of professional help, newbuild properties to rent out government subsidies, no phone calls from tenants......
    I should be getting the whopping salary not them!
    07-08-2022, 19:24 PM
    by boletus
    I agree. My DSS tenants have to pay 40% income tax on my rents. Plus 20% section 24 tax on my loans....
    07-08-2022, 11:26 AM
  • Is now the time to sell up?
    by humptydumpty
    This feels very much like 2006 to me but worse. I got outbid at auction last month in style. I set a sensible price and wasn't even close. Two maniacs duelled it out £50,000 over the odds on a fire damaged property!

I wasn't even excited to get my teeth into it at the price I bid anyway....
    11-07-2022, 23:11 PM
Working...
X