Do valuers "punish" you if you ask for an excessively high valuation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do valuers "punish" you if you ask for an excessively high valuation?

I am thinking of remortgaging a property in order to extract equity.

For various reasons, it is difficult to assess the market value of this particular property. Given that I want to extract as much equity as I can, would there be any harm in putting in for the highest valuation I could possibly justify, albeit expecting a down-valuation? Or is there a risk that that would just annoy the valuer and he/she would "punish" me by being a bit tighter on the valuation than would have otherwise been the case?

Edit: perhaps a better way of asking this question would be whether valuers become more on-guard and conservative in their approach if they fear they're being asked for an excessively high valuation, rather than suggesting they would take a vindictive approach!

The surveyor works for the mortgage lender and he is required to provide his "valuation". You should look for mortgage lenders offering 70 % or 75% loans or higher %. But you may find the interest rate charged will be higher for higher % loans..

Comment

Get a Rics surveyor to value your house. May cost £500 or more buy this is small in relation to sums involved. Then place your value at high end of forecast.

Comment

Your question pre supposes that a high valuation is a 'good' thing for you and in fact may help you to get what you want at this point in time. However if you were to get an unrealistically high valuation and property values fell you theoretically could find yourself in a negative equity situation.

In the past I borrowed on a portfolio basis which allowed the total value of my portfolio to support any individual property and even then the lender gave what they thought was a current market valuation on an individual property I wished to buy. I was grateful for a lower valuation ( £10,000 below asking price) at that time (early 2008) because it made me pull out of a transaction which would have been financially disastrous.

To answer your question - I don't think you are able to influence a valuer's decision as they are valuing the property for the lender, not you.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post

To answer your question - I don't think you are able to influence a valuer's decision as they are valuing the property for the lender, not you.
          I hope that that is now true - it certainly wasn't 20 years ago when one could haggle with the valuer as although they were reporting to the lender, they were being instructed and paid by us.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Can I supply a mortgage?
            by Lawcruncher
            What makes you think that that is the case?...
            29-06-2022, 08:33 AM
          • Can I supply a mortgage?
            by blueash
            I have a tenant that would like to buy the flat he rents from me, I own it outright there is no mortgage on it. Can we make it so that he carries on paying me so that I still receive an income rather than him getting a mortgage from somewhere else? If I sell it outright and invest they money it will...
            23-06-2022, 11:15 AM
          • Reply to Can I supply a mortgage?
            by jpkeates
            You can have the same kind of charge, but you can't, for example, repossess if the payments aren't forthcoming, which a "proper" lender can....
            28-06-2022, 15:18 PM
          • Reply to Next recession?
            by gnvqsos
            It is quire acceptable to expand the supply of money in harmony with expanding economic activity, but if the expansion of money is too quick inflation is likely.. However the principal cause of inflation is increasing commodity prices(gas ,fertilisers, grain) and an expanding money supply accommodates...
            27-06-2022, 19:49 PM
          • Next recession?
            by SouthernDave
            So, I would be interested to hear what / when the next recession might be. There are a lot of professionals predicting one. They say there’s been one every 17 years, making the next one around 2025.
            we have just taken out rent guarantee on half of our properties that we consider to be risky...
            18-04-2022, 19:43 PM
            by Neelix
            FWIW most of the inflation now has been created by the printing of money by the central banks.

Inflation rising has been talked about for a few years and finally its hit the developed countries.

creating money out of thin air was never going be at no cost
            27-06-2022, 17:49 PM
            by Gordon999
            The Sunday Telegraph ( 19 June 2022) Liam Halligan reported " BOE still has its head in the sand."

Last wednesday, the Fed ( USA) jacked up US rates by 0.75% . Thats why the dollar strengthened and made imports cheaper.
            Its astonishing that the Monetary Policy Committee...
            27-06-2022, 16:14 PM
          • first time buyer - need a lawyer
            by sixunforced
            I need a recommendation please. First time buyer in London.... so many options, however there are many firms and solicitors that aren't taking on any new clients....
            20-11-2020, 14:21 PM
          • Reply to first time buyer - need a lawyer
            by loanarranger
            Earlier in the OP’s I enquired where they lived as I know solicitors in various locations whom I would have no hesitation in recommending but to help I would suggest a call to TWM in Guildford, they act for several lenders and recently acted for a client purchasing in Nottingham but who was delighted...
            27-06-2022, 15:14 PM
          • Reply to first time buyer - need a lawyer
            by Gordon999
            Best to choose a local solicitor firm for conveyancing work ( easier to show your identity document ). You can find their adverts in the yellow pages or telephone directory at your public library .

Check out the firm's website for solicitor for property conveyancing. Give solicitor a telephone...
            27-06-2022, 10:50 AM
          Working...
          X