Can I supply a mortgage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I supply a mortgage?

I have a tenant that would like to buy the flat he rents from me, I own it outright there is no mortgage on it. Can we make it so that he carries on paying me so that I still receive an income rather than him getting a mortgage from somewhere else? If I sell it outright and invest they money it will not give me the income I get now. In the USA this is common I am told but I have no idea how to structure it or if it is even legal.

If you own the property, you can rent it and receive the income.

If you sell, you do not own the property and cannot demand rental income. If you sell, you may also become liable to capital gains tax .

You can consider applying the proceeds from sale to buy another property in a better location.

Comment

If you are in the UK, mortgage lending is a regulated activity, so no you can't provide a mortgage.

You could loan the person the money to buy your property, but it would be a loan and not a mortgage.
      And you wouldn't have the direct claim on the property that a mortgage lender would have.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

There is nothing in what you propose for the tenant - why should he keep paying you rent and getting nothing back when he could buy it from you and 'own' the property (subject to any mortgage he gets from a regulated mortgage lender)?

If you are not willing to sell then say so, and he'll most likely buy somewhere else and you'll need to find a new tenant.

Comment

nukecad,

What is in it for the tenant is that he does not have to find a deposit - anyway it turns out I would not be able to give him a mortgage anyway since it is a regulated industry.

Comment

Thanks everyone - not happening then!

Comment

I think you meant, was that you sell your property to your T, instead of them paying you rental income (which your not entitled to as you no longer own the property) the T pays you an agreed amount in the form of capital and interest instead of rent. I'm sure a carefully drafted contract could be created, you would need to be able to make a charge on the property in the event the T sells it without you knowing and running away.

Comment

Does the tenant know that as the owner of the flat, that he would have to pay service charges and ground rent, on top of his payments to you?

Comment

Originally posted by blueash View Post

What is in it for the tenant is that he does not have to find a deposit - anyway it turns out I would not be able to give him a mortgage anyway since it is a regulated industry.
                  It is a regulated industry but that doesn't stop individuals loaning money in the situation you describe and you can have the same charge over the property that a bank would have. You do however have to follow certain regulations that you can see online.

Having said that you have 2 issues:

a) you have to be happy that the return you are getting is enough for you bearing in mind that you obviously don't get any capital growth
                  and
                  b) if the tenant has no deposit, if they don't pay the mortgage for a year for example, by the time you repossess and pay fees to do so and sell, you may lose capital.

Comment

Originally posted by Sydaton View Post
                    It is a regulated industry but that doesn't stop individuals loaning money in the situation you describe and you can have the same charge over the property that a bank would have.
                    You can have the same kind of charge, but you can't, for example, repossess if the payments aren't forthcoming, which a "proper" lender can.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                      You can have the same kind of charge, but you can't, for example, repossess if the payments aren't forthcoming, which a "proper" lender can.
                      What makes you think that that is the case?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Can I supply a mortgage?
                        by blueash
                        I have a tenant that would like to buy the flat he rents from me, I own it outright there is no mortgage on it. Can we make it so that he carries on paying me so that I still receive an income rather than him getting a mortgage from somewhere else? If I sell it outright and invest they money it will...
                        23-06-2022, 11:15 AM
                      • Reply to Can I supply a mortgage?
                        by Lawcruncher
                        What makes you think that that is the case?...
                        29-06-2022, 08:33 AM
                      • Reply to Can I supply a mortgage?
                        by jpkeates
                        You can have the same kind of charge, but you can't, for example, repossess if the payments aren't forthcoming, which a "proper" lender can....
                        28-06-2022, 15:18 PM
                      • Reply to Next recession?
                        by gnvqsos
                        It is quire acceptable to expand the supply of money in harmony with expanding economic activity, but if the expansion of money is too quick inflation is likely.. However the principal cause of inflation is increasing commodity prices(gas ,fertilisers, grain) and an expanding money supply accommodates...
                        27-06-2022, 19:49 PM
                      • Next recession?
                        by SouthernDave
                        So, I would be interested to hear what / when the next recession might be. There are a lot of professionals predicting one. They say there’s been one every 17 years, making the next one around 2025.
                        we have just taken out rent guarantee on half of our properties that we consider to be risky...
                        18-04-2022, 19:43 PM
                        by Neelix
                        FWIW most of the inflation now has been created by the printing of money by the central banks.

Inflation rising has been talked about for a few years and finally its hit the developed countries.

creating money out of thin air was never going be at no cost
                        27-06-2022, 17:49 PM
                        by Gordon999
                        The Sunday Telegraph ( 19 June 2022) Liam Halligan reported " BOE still has its head in the sand."

Last wednesday, the Fed ( USA) jacked up US rates by 0.75% . Thats why the dollar strengthened and made imports cheaper.
                        Its astonishing that the Monetary Policy Committee...
                        27-06-2022, 16:14 PM
                      • first time buyer - need a lawyer
                        by sixunforced
                        I need a recommendation please. First time buyer in London.... so many options, however there are many firms and solicitors that aren't taking on any new clients....
                        20-11-2020, 14:21 PM
                      • Reply to first time buyer - need a lawyer
                        by loanarranger
                        Earlier in the OP’s I enquired where they lived as I know solicitors in various locations whom I would have no hesitation in recommending but to help I would suggest a call to TWM in Guildford, they act for several lenders and recently acted for a client purchasing in Nottingham but who was delighted...
                        27-06-2022, 15:14 PM
                      • Reply to first time buyer - need a lawyer
                        by Gordon999
                        Best to choose a local solicitor firm for conveyancing work ( easier to show your identity document ). You can find their adverts in the yellow pages or telephone directory at your public library .

Check out the firm's website for solicitor for property conveyancing. Give solicitor a telephone...
                        27-06-2022, 10:50 AM
                      Working...
                      X