Halifax- unfair terms for consenting to sublet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Halifax- unfair terms for consenting to sublet?

I have my residential mortgage with Halifax on 5 yr fixed. Property is worth about 200k with mortgage about 180k. Current mortgage payments are approx £1150.

I have been offered a position abroad.

I would like to take said position and have contacted Halifax for consent to lease.

I would be lucky to raise £700 rent on property and I would subsidise rest.

Halifax want to change my mortgage rages to 6.94% (currently 5.49/5.99) and charge £500 for the priviledge. Would be an extra £200 more per month that I really can't afford.

Would have to pay approx £8k early repayment fee.

I would only want agreement for 1 year to see if job works out but now am in catch 22. Can't afford increased mortgage (subsidised £500 per month), don't want to sell property, to change lenders would be £8k fee.

Halifax stinks! I am really annoyed. Most lenders I have looked at do a one-off fee up to 3 years. How do Halifax get away with this? Is there anyway it can be negotiated? Advice greatfully appreciated. The job abroad isn't for money - but to trial a new lifestyle - I don't earn loads and have two little ones under 4 so having to worry about being taken to the cleaners by my mortgage lender where I wouldn't be making a profit anyway is hard to swallow.

Many thanks for reading and for any advice.

Sorry cant help you myself but if you Post the above at http://www.consumercorner.co.uk

And

http://http://www.penaltycharges.co.uk/

Should get some more advice from there aswell as here regarding your situation

Comment

Originally posted by davedarave01uk View Post
      sorry Cant Help You Myself But If You Post The Above At http://www.consumercorner.co.uk

And

http://http://www.penaltycharges.co.uk/

Should Get Some More Advice From There Aswell As Here Regarding Your Situation
      do Not Use Above Links To Sites>>they Have Just Made My Firewall Go Mental
      What i write is what i think....If you need solid info PAY A SOLICITOR!!

Comment

Originally posted by starlettings View Post
        do Not Use Above Links To Sites>>they Have Just Made My Firewall Go Mental

Are you mad or something there is nothing wrong with the sites above and my Firewall is ok.
        You probably have a virus or something on your comp if your going to sites like that and its stopping you from seeing them.

Both sites have alot of help and free advice from people in the know and have been running for awhile now and have aload of members
        Probably more members on one of those sites than here.

Comment

You are changing the status of your mortgage therefore Halifax will change you from a residential rate to a BTL rate. Rates are affected by risk. That is what they do to the rest of us landlords.

They don't have to give you consent to let.

6.94% is not bad at the moment.

You'll either have to let, taking the chance they won't find out or you'll have to go onto the BTL rate.

Welcome to the wonderful world of landlording.

Comment

When I got the consent to let, they didn't try to hit me with a redemption penalty, as I was switching to a higher rate mortgage...seems harsh to charge £8k when they are retaining the business.

Comment

Originally posted by davedarave01uk View Post
              Are you mad or something there is nothing wrong with the sites above and my Firewall is ok.
              You probably have a virus or something on your comp if your going to sites like that and its stopping you from seeing them.

Both sites have alot of help and free advice from people in the know and have been running for awhile now and have aload of members
              Probably more members on one of those sites than here.
              No i am not mad. The sites are....guess you a a nigerian scammer.
              What i write is what i think....If you need solid info PAY A SOLICITOR!!

Comment

Dont know if youve noticed but by renting your house out for £700 a month you will likley to go over your personal allowance for this year and be liable for income tax here in the UK.

Comment

The sites are fine but you've got http twice on one of the links - just needs deleting.

Comment

Originally posted by starlettings View Post
                    No i am not mad. The sites are....guess you a a nigerian scammer.
                    Lol what an idiot.
                    There uk sites helping people out with all sorts of problems though mainly reclaiming bank charges.

I suggest you update your computer with better software if you cant access uk sites.
                    Oh and my name is dave and I live in the uk and Im English born and bred
                    So get your facts right before spouting out rubbish

The sites are fine but you've got http twice on one of the links - just needs deleting.
                    I cannot edit the post so cannot remove the extra 'http'

Comment

Ignore starlettings ... he is a starpratt!
                      GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Originally posted by Planner View Post
                        Dont know if youve noticed but by renting your house out for £700 a month you will likley to go over your personal allowance for this year and be liable for income tax here in the UK.
                        Doesn't this depend on your outgoings in terms of mortgage, fees, wear and tear etc?

Kind regards,

John

Comment

Thanks for all responses everyone...but I am still no where near a solution and the Halifax can't be bothered to call me back!

So, here I am - stuck.

Can't move to a job I'd like to. If I sell I am in negative equity due to get out charges and I can't rent it through consent to let because i won't be able to afford the increased payments. They have me well and truly stuck!!

Surely they'd rather I continue with the mortgage payments as they are? I'm not happy with the Halifax and I'll certainly be moving all business from them when I am "free" to.

Comment

Originally posted by Liose View Post
                            Thanks for all responses everyone...but I am still no where near a solution and the Halifax can't be bothered to call me back!

So, here I am - stuck.

Can't move to a job I'd like to. If I sell I am in negative equity due to get out charges and I can't rent it through consent to let because i won't be able to afford the increased payments. They have me well and truly stuck!!

Surely they'd rather I continue with the mortgage payments as they are? I'm not happy with the Halifax and I'll certainly be moving all business from them when I am "free" to.
                            Post #5 sumarises the position. There is no easy solution, nor (sadly) is there forced to be one.
                            If Halifax refuses to reply, demand its Complaints Procedure and, thereafter, try the Banking Ombudsman to which scheme it subscibes.
                            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

The change to a BTL mortgage rate seems fair - but not the enforced redemption penalty.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• BTL - LTD Company Money
                                by VPatel2707
                                Hi There,

Please can someone help me with a query?

I am looking to purchase a BTL property through a LTD Company - but I am slightly confused how the money element works.

I’ve read online that the Director can pay themselves a salary and as long as that’s...
                                07-07-2020, 06:57 AM
                              • Reply to BTL - LTD Company Money
                                by Gordon999
                                The Ltd company is a separate tax entity . If the company buys a property , the company pay tax on its annual rental income minus the annual expenses. These allowable expenses can include letting agent, property maintenance and mortgage loan interest. The annual rental income less allowable expenses...
                                09-07-2020, 19:14 PM
                              • Reply to BTL - LTD Company Money
                                by ash72
                                You should talk with an accountant, as it depends upon a number of questions, are you intending on buying more properties? Are you going to finance the purchase through a mortgage or from cash?...
                                09-07-2020, 10:08 AM
                              • Reply to Mortgage News
                                by loanarranger
                                Virgin Money gets tough on Lending Criteria

Tomorrow, Thursday 9 July, we will update our lending policy for customers who have County Court Judgements (CCJs) or who have defaulted on an item of credit.

We will no longer accept cases where a CCJ or defaulted account remains...
                                09-07-2020, 04:16 AM
                              • Mortgage News
                                by loanarranger
                                The following article has appeared in one of the Mortgage Trade journals reporting on views expressed by the Association of Mortgage Intermediaries an influential trade body within the mortgage industry.

"Mortgage rates are likely to rise in the first quarter of 2016 as lenders look...
                                23-12-2015, 19:43 PM
                              • My unexpected tale of selling my BTL
                                by feederking
                                Some months ago I decided to sell my Manchester BTL terraced after 8 years owning.Tenants left 1 week before lockdown in March a week later it happened & thought well thats it for selling.
                                Anyway spend the last 3 months a few hours weekly decorating,new flooring,carpets etc.It went up for...
                                03-07-2020, 22:03 PM
                              • Reply to My unexpected tale of selling my BTL
                                by boletus
                                I'm sure there were, a small minority of areas still haven't recovered.
                                But on average, it was 2014....
                                08-07-2020, 11:11 AM
                                by jpkeates
                                There were a load of newspaper articles in 2018 which announced that prices had returned to pre-crash levels....
                                08-07-2020, 08:49 AM
                                by buzzard1994
                                The government "strategy", if it can be called that, is indeed to import millionaires but after the incompetence they have shown in the last few months will they want to come here. There will be other pandemics, there will be climate change - New Zealand is looking pretty good right now..
                                08-07-2020, 05:11 AM
                              Working...
                              X