Halifax- unfair terms for consenting to sublet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I was in your shoes, I would rent out the flat and don't tell the bank.

However, make sure your buildings insurance covers you for renting out your property. Also, make sure you get good tenants, see references personaly. And find an agents that charges you on a monthly basis for managing the property rather then takes the money up front, otherwise they will not be motivated to finding you a good tenant.

Comment

Originally posted by rajeshk4u View Post
      If I was in your shoes, I would rent out the flat and don't tell the bank.
      If I were in your shoes, rajeshk4u, I would never advise commission of:
      a. a breach of contract; nor
      b. fraud on the mortgagee.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I agree with you, but she has tried the honest approach. And the bank has tried to screw her. She will only get into trouble, if she can't repay the mortgage.

Banks don't really care, so long as the mortgage is being paid (that is why I suggest get good tenants).

I was in a similar situation and the bank gave me permission and no penalties... So her bank is being unfair...

Comment

Originally posted by rajeshk4u View Post
          I agree with you, but she has tried the honest approach. And the bank has tried to screw her. She will only get into trouble, if she can't repay the mortgage.

Banks don't really care, so long as the mortgage is being paid (that is why I suggest get good tenants).

I was in a similar situation and the bank gave me permission and no penalties... So her bank is being unfair...
          Remind me: how many rights do two wrongs make?
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
            Letting a property that was once your residential home would be a breach of your mortgage terms and conditions.

I can't see the fraud which, as far as I understood, would mean obtaining money by deception ie obtaining the mortgage by claiming you were going to live there when in fact your intention was to let the property. As your application to obtain the mortgage was truthful, I don't see that you have committed the criminal offence of fraud.

Breaching your mortgage terms and conditions would be a matter between you and your lender, not a criminal matter.

Comment

Originally posted by silvercar View Post
              Letting a property that was once your residential home would be a breach of your mortgage terms and conditions.

I can't see the fraud which, as far as I understood, would mean obtaining money by deception ie obtaining the mortgage by claiming you were going to live there when in fact your intention was to let the property. As your application to obtain the mortgage was truthful, I don't see that you have committed the criminal offence of fraud.

Breaching your mortgage terms and conditions would be a matter between you and your lender, not a criminal matter.
              I never alleged a criminal offence, punishable by fine/imprisonment. Fraud is also a tort (civil wrong), compensatable by damages.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• BTL - LTD Company Money
                by VPatel2707
                Hi There,

Please can someone help me with a query?

I am looking to purchase a BTL property through a LTD Company - but I am slightly confused how the money element works.

I’ve read online that the Director can pay themselves a salary and as long as that’s...
                07-07-2020, 06:57 AM
              • Reply to BTL - LTD Company Money
                by Gordon999
                The Ltd company is a separate tax entity . If the company buys a property , the company pay tax on its annual rental income minus the annual expenses. These allowable expenses can include letting agent, property maintenance and mortgage loan interest. The annual rental income less allowable expenses...
                09-07-2020, 19:14 PM
              • Reply to BTL - LTD Company Money
                by ash72
                You should talk with an accountant, as it depends upon a number of questions, are you intending on buying more properties? Are you going to finance the purchase through a mortgage or from cash?...
                09-07-2020, 10:08 AM
              • Mortgage News
                by loanarranger
                The following article has appeared in one of the Mortgage Trade journals reporting on views expressed by the Association of Mortgage Intermediaries an influential trade body within the mortgage industry.

"Mortgage rates are likely to rise in the first quarter of 2016 as lenders look...
                23-12-2015, 19:43 PM
              • Reply to Mortgage News
                by loanarranger
                Virgin Money gets tough on Lending Criteria

Tomorrow, Thursday 9 July, we will update our lending policy for customers who have County Court Judgements (CCJs) or who have defaulted on an item of credit.

We will no longer accept cases where a CCJ or defaulted account remains...
                09-07-2020, 04:16 AM
              • My unexpected tale of selling my BTL
                by feederking
                Some months ago I decided to sell my Manchester BTL terraced after 8 years owning.Tenants left 1 week before lockdown in March a week later it happened & thought well thats it for selling.
                Anyway spend the last 3 months a few hours weekly decorating,new flooring,carpets etc.It went up for...
                03-07-2020, 22:03 PM
              • Reply to My unexpected tale of selling my BTL
                by boletus
                I'm sure there were, a small minority of areas still haven't recovered.
                But on average, it was 2014....
                08-07-2020, 11:11 AM
                by jpkeates
                There were a load of newspaper articles in 2018 which announced that prices had returned to pre-crash levels....
                08-07-2020, 08:49 AM
                by buzzard1994
                The government "strategy", if it can be called that, is indeed to import millionaires but after the incompetence they have shown in the last few months will they want to come here. There will be other pandemics, there will be climate change - New Zealand is looking pretty good right now..
                08-07-2020, 05:11 AM
              Working...
              X