Advice needed on protecting dad’s house from future sister in law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes but you can't just give money away to confound a potential lawsuit which would involve you handing over money.

Your dad is very unlikely to be removed from his home in any even vaguely short timescale under the circumstances you describe when his then ex daughter in law owns half of it. So if that is your SOLE concern I would leave things well alone.

Comment

If there was a solicitor involved when the gift was made, I'd be really surprised that the issue of what happens if your son meets someone etc didn't crop up.
      It's almost a reflex for solicitors - the number of times I've been through the same questions when transferring things to my son is remarkable.
      Perhaps he just looks like someone who's likely to die young, become a drug addict or fall for someone unsuitable.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
        Yes but you can't just give money away to confound a potential lawsuit which would involve you handing over money.

Your dad is very unlikely to be removed from his home in any even vaguely short timescale under the circumstances you describe when his then ex daughter in law owns half of it. So if that is your SOLE concern I would leave things well alone.
        Yes you may be right.

What are your thoughts on this potentially not being a case of a GROB?

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
          If there was a solicitor involved when the gift was made, I'd be really surprised that the issue of what happens if your son meets someone etc didn't crop up.
          It's almost a reflex for solicitors - the number of times I've been through the same questions when transferring things to my son is remarkable.
          Perhaps he just looks like someone who's likely to die young, become a drug addict or fall for someone unsuitable.
          I guess it does depend on the solicitor. All we did was fill out a form starting where the money was coming from and that was pretty much it.

Comment

Originally posted by Madmax86 View Post

Yes you may be right.

What are your thoughts on this potentially not being a case of a GROB?
            It is quite clearly a GROB. It might not have been if full market rate of rent was also paid to your brother.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Government consultation for more leaseholders to own their own buildings.
              by Gordon999
              Leaseholders could find it easier and cheaper to buy the freehold of their building under radical government proposals to create a fairer housing system..

As part of a consultation opening today (11 January 2022), Homeowners and the housing industry are being invited to give their views...
              26-01-2022, 13:30 PM
            • Reply to Government consultation for more leaseholders to own their own buildings.
              by AndrewDod
              Sounds a recipe for disaster. And he has no idea what he is talking about either.

Leaseholders don't control anything - they might have a share in something which might control something -- but they might in fact have far less control than before. Depends who those other leaseholders...
              27-01-2022, 22:14 PM
            • Reply to Property too close to takeaway
              by loanarranger
              Lara, I was interested in one of your comments in your last post” your old broker charges a fee, so does solicitors & accountants but one pays but if at the end of the day the outcome meets your expectations then everyone is happy; by and large clients do not realise the time it takes from receiving...
              27-01-2022, 21:20 PM
            • Property too close to takeaway
              by Lara
              Has anyone had this issue where a lender has declined a BTL mortgage due to the property being too close (2 doors away)? Apparently this affects the re-sale value even though the value on the property has factored this in and if sold today, would achieve that price.
              25-01-2022, 11:08 AM
              by Lawcruncher
              The problem these days is that lenders will not make decisions. Fifty years ago if there was an issue you could call the local branch of a building society and speak to someone you probably knew. They would either say there was no problem or refer it to head office who would come back with an answer....
              27-01-2022, 12:16 PM
              by Lara
              Thank you Loanarranger, that's what I was hoping for. This is a new broker to us and they are indeed looking for a new lender. We may go back to our old broker - he charges us, but his service as been great over the years. Sadly offspring decided to do things her way and we ended up with this new broker....
              27-01-2022, 08:34 AM
            • Financing for Airbnb properties
              by ZEON69
              Hi there,

I am new to the forum and looking to purchase my first rental property. I was hoping to let the property on Airbnb etc for short term rental as the returns seem much better than a standard rental in my area. I had spoken with a mortgage broker who advised that lenders are not...
              26-01-2022, 19:25 PM
            • Reply to Financing for Airbnb properties
              by loanarranger
              First change your broker , clearly doesn’t know the market.
              Contact the following;-
              The following have limits on loan to value but broadly speaking one can secure certainly loans of 70% with some at 75%, a good broker will point out which lenders only deal via the Intermediary sector.
              • Bath
              • Castle
              26-01-2022, 22:30 PM
              by loanarranger
              Lenders rely on the advice of their valuer who in turn will determine whether the Indian/ Chinese / Macdonalds and any other fast food outlet has the necessary piping to ensure that the smells/ aromas do not pervade into property in the immediate vicinity , also is there a possibility of the takeaway...
              26-01-2022, 16:43 PM
              by Section20z
              Flats above takeaways have always been a problem, not sure how they would have known there was one "two doors down" but maybe it's something they ask the valuer to report on specifically.
              Maybe your broker or adviser ought to have known this rule and warned you.
              26-01-2022, 14:09 PM
            Working...
            X