Sell part of a residential property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sell part of a residential property

Can I sell 50% of my flat in London? Its leasehold with share in freehold through a management company with mortgage which is less than 50%.
    There is a guy I know personally who might buy it that way because he wont need to raise as much money as buying 100%.
    Whats the correct legal name of such procedure? (I saw something called shared ownership but it seems to me its about buying out a council flat or something which is not applicable here)..

You are unlikely to find a buyer interested in buying 50% share because there will be much friction if disagreement arises.

The shared ownership scheme is offered to key workers who buy a quarter share or half share and pay rent on the other share to a Housing Association.

Comment

PMSL - so you sell 50% of the property and the mortgage company effectively lend 100% on the 50% they have left?
      My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

Originally posted by maxima View Post
        Can I sell 50% of my flat in London? Its leasehold with share in freehold through a management company with mortgage which is less than 50%.
        There is a guy I know personally who might buy it that way because he wont need to raise as much money as buying 100%.
        Whats the correct legal name of such procedure? (I saw something called shared ownership but it seems to me its about buying out a council flat or something which is not applicable here)..
        Yes, of course, you'd simply be transferring to joint ownership but you'd need to redeem your mortgage (or get their consent) and best get a cast iron agreement signed in case of future disagreement.

Comment

Youll find it very hard to get someone to do the conveyancing, because on completion, you'll both own a property that's worth very little to you, because you can't sell it.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

It is very possible for an application to be made to the current lender, assuming that the property is a BtL and not a Regulated home ownership mortgage. On the former basis the lender will require the potential acquiree to be underwritten in the normal way, only then can the legal be satisfactorily completed; BUT if this is your primary residence then forget it no lender will give any consent for a third part ownership .

Comment

not primary residence. and not anything regulated. I actually found how it is called - "tenancy in common" (there is also joint ownership but its not suitable for me). it is pretty viable except one thing unfortunately - the mortgage payments and responsibility for the mortgage are shared also.. which defies the main point - to rid off of the mortgage

Comment

That's not how it works.
                If the buyer buys 50% of the property and the mortgage is <50% of the property value, you use the sale proceeds to pay off the mortgage at the same time as the sale is confirmed.
                You end up with 50% of the property mortgage free and the buyer ends up with their 50% of the property.

The problem is that neither of your 50%'s are worth anything, because no one would want to buy them.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Maxima it is important to note that where a mortgage loan is concerned , the responsibility for ensuring the mortgage payments are made rests 100% on each party to the loan even if as in the conventional manner of say husband and wife having a joint mortgage but the payments are made by the husband, so any missed payments the lender will reach out to both entities for any arrears to be paid.
                  Unfortunately you can’t have your cake and eat it in the manner described.

Comment

Read your lease .
                    It will proably say, not to part with "Part of your demise"
                    in other words, you must sell up and move out, and cannot sell half your flat.

Comment

I own a some properties jointly with a sibling. It works because of complete trust. Whenever I want to sell he doesnt, and vice versa, so the arrangement just goes on decade after decade. But I don't know whether it would work with a stranger.

Comment

flyingfeehold,

Likewise, I own several properties with a total stranger (or he was 20 years ago anyway) , no written contract, we sold one once and review every year or so.
                        Not a problem for normal humans and certainly no breach of lease or mortgage.

Comment

Are the properties held in joint names?

Comment

in my case yes

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Joint landlord advice
                              by Lumox11
                              Hi all,

has anyone on here done a BTL with a friend, I’ve been looking for a while but now have a friend who is keen to get on board. We’ve seen a property were preparing to make a bid on. I understand about the joint mortgage and split income tax etc, I was just after any advice...
                              25-11-2021, 14:57 PM
                            • Reply to Joint landlord advice
                              by loanarranger
                              I agree with JPKeates that holding property in an SPV ensures that both directors provide 100% guaranteees for the payment of all associated costs, not least the mortgage, and even if there is a breakdown in the relationship, the liability on each continues until the assets are sold, debts repaid and...
                              27-11-2021, 10:08 AM
                            • Landlord in hospital - family business continuity
                              by Flashback1966
                              I am trying to help a family. (and perhaps a a warning to those landlord who say property is their pension!).

The father ran a business, which he sold when he retired. He re-invested the proceeds in property. He has a property portfolio which he incorporated into a limited company. There...
                              26-11-2021, 15:05 PM
                            • Reply to Landlord in hospital - family business continuity
                              by Neelix
                              Speaking from very recent personal experience and hope that people take note of this as its extremely relevant to many families.

My brother died suddenly and unexpectedly in July. Not married, no children - so I'm his NOK - and a visit from the police at 3am delivered the sad news
                              27-11-2021, 09:05 AM
                              by Neelix
                              If the father passes away all his accounts will be probably be frozen, so no money in and no money out

this sounds like a disaster about to happen whether the father improves or dies

Who is the fathers accountant ?

change is required asap

the family...
                              26-11-2021, 20:25 PM
                              by Hudson01
                              I cannot answer all of it but the banking side i may be able to shed some light, if he passes away then the bank are duty bound to stop all activity on the accounts if he is the only signatory, a Ltd company is looked upon in a similar way as a person, if he is the sole director and only signatory then...
                              26-11-2021, 19:31 PM
                              by ash72
                              First of all the banks would put a freeze on his bank accounts as soon as they are notified that he has died, unless there is a named person they would not be able to get access until probate or the executors have been instructed (if there was a will). The best thing at the moment is probably add named...
                              26-11-2021, 19:29 PM
                            • Reply to Limited company mortgage refused
                              by Gordon999
                              If the properties are held under your personal names, the limited company will have to purchase the properties from you. Its not a remortgage situation of properties in your name.

I suggest you approach Nat-West Commercial Bank or Barclays and ask for information about "mortgages...
                              26-11-2021, 14:03 PM
                            • Reply to Joint landlord advice
                              by jpkeates
                              I would do it formally as a company and I'd take some legal advice (both of you separately).

The only thing that kills an existing friendship faster than doing business together is screwing their partner.
                              25-11-2021, 15:15 PM
                            • Setting up a ltd for rental property articles of memo
                              by Nick constable
                              Iv set up a limited company for a investment rental property
                              my financial advisor has told me that banks what to see article of memorandum for the ltd
                              has anyone had any dealings with this and where did you get this written up by and what detail did they want...
                              22-11-2021, 16:47 PM
                            Working...
                            X