Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fractional ownership... new 'in thing'?

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster here...!

I've got a couple of BTLs but time/cash constraints are preventing me from expanding my portfolio as much as I should be. I've seen a few "fractional ownership" startups appearing in the US (lofty.ai, realt.co) and found the concept interesting, but without FCA regulation and any knowledge of the US market I'm reluctant to put any cash their way.

I like the handsoff management piece and being able to select specific properties, and I especially like the (supposed) liquidity and lack of lock-in. Does anyone know of anything similar in the UK? If not, am I missing something about why it doesn't exist here?

I know that there's PropertyPartner etc but think their model is quite different to what these guys in the US are doing...

Thanks!

Too far away to sort out problems, when the tenant stops paying the rent.

Comment

I can see an advantage in cgt if i could half sell and then sell the other half in a different tax year. But i expect tax people would argue.

Comment

You could sell part share below £40K value in a BTL property to family members who you trust.

Rather risky selling part share to strangers

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Sell part of a residential property
          by maxima
          Can I sell 50% of my flat in London? Its leasehold with share in freehold through a management company with mortgage which is less than 50%.
          There is a guy I know personally who might buy it that way because he wont need to raise as much money as buying 100%.
          Whats the correct legal name...
          21-10-2021, 14:40 PM
        • Reply to BTL loan with bad credit issue - please help
          by leasee123
          A bad credit record just for being overdrawn by £100 and paying it back soon after? What a joke. Which bank is this so I and others can avoid them with a bargepole?

OP - if you missed out on this property I wouldn't be so disappointed with such low yield. Capital appreciation, even...
          17-10-2021, 11:31 AM
        • BTL loan with bad credit issue - please help
          by trippyvibes
          Hello, I am new to the forum and would appreciate your help.

Back in November 2018 we had a loss in the family and it affected me. I lost interest in most things and neglected my responsibilities. I have a minor bank account which I use mainly as backup for Paypal payments on eBay and...
          01-01-2021, 18:05 PM
        • All change... Plan number 2...
          by Bonehead33
          So the previous flat sold before I could get my hands on it.

So another quick plan for your collective scrutiny please. Don't know how feasible it is.

We're moving to new build in march with new mortgage and savings. New build purchase not dependant on current residential sale....
          16-10-2021, 16:15 PM
        • Reply to All change... Plan number 2...
          by landlord-man
          Wow, a £300k mortgage is going to take a sizeable monthly rental to service - and then the tenants decides not to pay - ouch.

I would sell and use the £100k to buy 1 or 2 BTLs at £100k-£120k each with mortgages, spreading the risk.

It may mean buying away from where you...
          17-10-2021, 09:20 AM
          by Gordon999
          If you can sell your former home for £400K with £300K mortgage to pay off , you would receive £100K and no capital gains tax to pay.

Before you decide to rent out the property, you should check the rental demand for houses in your area and the current rents.
          17-10-2021, 09:07 AM
          by jpkeates
          If the mortgage is joint, the ownership will have to be joint.

Moving the property to a limited company is going to be difficult because of the timing - your limited company would require personal guarantees for a mortgage and you would need to be a property owner to be able to use the...
          17-10-2021, 08:16 AM
          by doobrey
          Yes, you would....
          16-10-2021, 21:23 PM
        • Tenant used to own property
          by dizzymill
          Hi all. We have owned a property for 16 years which we bought off the person who is and has been the tenant all this time. It has been mortgaged with TMW but now when we come to remortgage back to them as mortgage term has expired they are saying it doesn't meet their criteria as it's a sale and rent...
          15-10-2021, 09:20 AM
        • Reply to Tenant used to own property
          by theartfullodger
          & Beware you may already now be on the National "Hunter" system that records persons with loans/credit deals that were... err.. based on might appear to be "iffy" info.

Designed to flag warning red flags to any lender when later approached.

See......
          16-10-2021, 14:52 PM
        Working...
        X