Buy to let mortgage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy to let mortgage

Now I’ve got my property back it needs some work but shouldn’t take too long.
    I enquired with virgin mortgages and if I sell or change to residential then there’s a fee of 4% which is £3600.
    I can port the mortgage but I think they expect me to rent it out again. Doesn’t look like they would allow me to move into the new property.
    I need a property to live in myself but I am done with the flat I have and want it gone.
    Is my only option to sell pay the fee and start again as a owner occupier?
    Or to save the fee could I get away with porting and being my own tenant?

You can't be your own tenant

Comment

You can't get a buy to let and rent it to yourself you will see the T&C's wont allow this. Also it's not financially good to do it as BTL is a commercial mortgage and your paying more in the interest rates so it's not good. Also buying it again will mean you will have to potentially pay stamp duty.

Comment

Originally posted by Neelix View Post
        You can't be your own tenant
        Actually what law says this? There are some practical scenarios where this is potentially useful - for example A+B+C who own a property jointly might want to sign a tenancy agreement involving ABC vs C alone. Or a company owned by A might be the landlord or tenant of A as an individual.

Virgin finance seems to be charging massive fees while giving their savers 0.1% interest - all courtesy of the government who is bankrolling banks whilst savers get shafted.

Comment

I suppose you'd need to look at what interest rate you'd be paying when it switches to a residential mortgage & weigh up the costs? I suspect that the residential mortgage interest rate will offer a substantial long-term saving (depending on the mortgage length of course) & Virgin are trying to deter you & retain some nice profit. If you see yourself living there for a while & are saving a lot of money in the long run then it's worth switching but only if you're pretty certain that you won't want to switch it back to a buy to let again.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post

for example A+B+C who own a property jointly might want to sign a tenancy agreement involving ABC vs C alone. Or a company owned by A might be the landlord or tenant of A as an individual.
            In both of those examples the LL and T are not the same legal person.

Comment

Think I’ll just sell it and take the hit , wash my hands of buy to let.
              could rent it out again for the remainder of the mortgage fix (2.5 years) but what’s to say I don’t get another bad tenant?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X