exiting buy to let

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exiting buy to let

after a nightmare tenant who will soon be evicted (i hope), i do not wish to proceed with buy to let. unfortunately i have 22 months left on a fixed mortgage deal and would have to pay 4% to exit ( 3-4k).
    i myself have been living with family but coming close to 40 i need to prioritise getting myself a property to live in.
    i thought about moving into the buy to let but im not that drawn by living there and i think it would be contravening the mortgage terms (?) however the mortgage would still be paid and who would know ? if i did this until 2024 id save paying the redemption fee.
    therefore do i sell the flat and take the hit with the fee, then either rent or buy somewhere for myself to live?

You need to speak with a financial accountant, as you could live there and register yourself as living there, and therefore you may be entitled to getting relief when selling the property as your main residence for the duration you lived there.

But you need to work out the sums in the cost and the selling price and any gains you made, also if this was brought through a Ltd co or not. Speak to agents to see what the property is worth in it's current state vs doing it up and how much it would cost to do it up (if damaged by T).

Or it may be better to just sell it and get any residual profit out as possible. If you do intend on living there then you would need to inform your mortgage provider and they may switch you to a lower interest rate residential mortgage as long as you pass the mortgage criteria as well as your insurance co. You should inform your insurance co if it is empty so that your policy isn't void and your paying for no insurance. Also you would be liable to council tax and utilities now, some water co. offer landlord exempt fees while empty.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Should we start a Ltd Company?
      by Meggs
      Hi All

What is it that pushes people to put their properties into a Ltd Company, should I do this?

So currently, my fiancée has a flat we plan to sell in a year or two for a freehold house. I have just inherited half a house purchasing the other half from my sister. It requires...
      19-04-2021, 08:19 AM
    • Reply to Should we start a Ltd Company?
      by jpkeates
      There isn't really a one size fits all answer to this.
      You probably need to work it through with an accountant, so you can model the alternatives.

One point to consider is that you don't "transfer" property to the company, the company buys it from you (and everyone pays...
      19-04-2021, 10:24 AM
    • Must own 2nd house for BTL acceptance
      by rachel_89
      Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I have a plan and I'm worried there might be a flaw in it. I don't own any property right now and never have. I am planning on buying my first property worth £200,000 in the next two months with a regular residential mortgage and I want to live in it for about...
      18-03-2021, 10:45 AM
    • Reply to Must own 2nd house for BTL acceptance
      by Meggs
      Welcome

I am pretty new here too and into the property world so can only speak from my own (few) experiences.

Is this first property you're buying help-to-buy free? If so check you T&Cs in the mortgage agreement. Myself and my Fiancée managed to rent her property out as...
      19-04-2021, 07:42 AM
    • Leasehold problem
      by dizzymill
      Hi. Trying to buy a flat in a block of 4 in a purpose built block as a BTL. The owner converted the block and has now put 2 flats up for sale. These have not had a lease on them as up to now the original owner had them rented out. We have been told by BM solutions that a lease must be in place before...
      12-04-2021, 18:33 PM
    • Reply to Leasehold problem
      by Lawcruncher
      Just to confirm: The lender is insisting that a lease is actually in place before you apply for a mortgage?
      18-04-2021, 11:16 AM
    • Tenants in common: Individual names and Limited company on one title
      by anilvek
      Hi all

Basically, before I start, I have spoken to accountants and solicitors who think I am frankly absurd and my proposal is something that is unheard of following which I have decided to not to go with this route, given changing landscape of BTL I wanted to ascertain how absurd my fellow...
      08-04-2021, 12:22 PM
    • Reply to Tenants in common: Individual names and Limited company on one title
      by Gordon999
      In post no. 1 , you said :

" Solicitors/Accountant thoughts:
      1. They have never seen this happen and its odd
      2. How will you sort the rental income be sorted between individuals and company
      3. HMRC may not like this"

Your solicitor and accountant may be the odd ones if they...
      18-04-2021, 05:29 AM
    • Reply to Leasehold problem
      by Gordon999
      Its not purpose built block , because its a conversion into 4 flats from an existing freehold house.

Usually flats are sold under leasehold title in UK because mortgage lenders insist on flat having a maintenance agreement for the property as a condition for offering the loan.
      18-04-2021, 05:13 AM
    • Selling with 88 years lease remaining
      by SpringGreen
      First time seller (London) with approximately 88 years lease remaining. I have two questions :
      1. Extend lease 5% of asking price
      2. Agent 'A' said no need to extend lease as the 'leasehold reform' and I should get the asking price if not 1 % less but no lower. Agent 'B' & C' 'now'...
      17-04-2021, 10:19 AM
    Working...
    X