Assured Rental Scheme on New builds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assured Rental Scheme on New builds

Hello, hoping someone with experience may be able to advise!
    I am considering purchasing an off plan apartment with an assured rental for 10 years. What are the potential pitfalls with these purchases please ?

That, like many people who do this, you get ripped off by the developer, who factors the rental costs into the price they sell the property at, which overvalues it significantly and the price adjusts to market levels in the next few years.
    Or they go bust or sell the property on and the assured rental is not available.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

With any new development is on the reputation of the developer, if the project is delivered on time, how snagging is rectified, what the contract states concerning the rental increases over the period or is it the same, how would you be able to get your property back if you wanted to sell. Usually they add other costs to specking out the flooring, worktops etc, from the base level.

The list is long you need to do a lot of homework on :

The development, the purchase, other properties in the area for a similar property so your buying at a premium.

The warranty, the leasehold deed/titles, services charges etc.

The rental agreement

Comment

Thank you for your answers. I guess I expected to be paying slightly over, despite the reduced off plan price ! The assured tenancy is what is attractive attractive and I'm satisfied with the service charges and lease.

Comment

While the rental might be attractive it's not as guaranteed as you might imagine.
          Developments are usually single purpose ventures and, if the developing company simply ceases to exist (due to some hard to predict calamity), what are you going to able to do and to afford to do?

If the developer has a history of decades of happy purchasers, it might be worth a punt.

The main question you should ask yourself is why they're doing this - it's unlikely to be for your benefit.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If you are considering buying with a mortgage, remember that such arrangements do not conform with the type of acceptable letting for any Buy to Let lender and don’t accept any assurances that they do by the White sock brigade marketing the development.

Comment

Pitfalls is not getting the market rent . You may be renting below market value for 10 years.

Comment

The assured rental guaranteed is 8% of purchase price for 10 years. We can give 3 months notice to end.
                I had started the hunt for small houses but the above option allows me not to be involved or have the worries of maintaining the properties.
                I guess I'm banking on an easy sell after 5 years if necessary ........

Comment

Can you please advise if this is a cash purchase?

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley. H View Post
                    The assured rental guaranteed is 8% of purchase price for 10 years. We can give 3 months notice to end.
                    I had started the hunt for small houses but the above option allows me not to be involved or have the worries of maintaining the properties.
                    I guess I'm banking on an easy sell after 5 years if necessary ........
                    I'm afraid that's patently unsustainable, you'd be a lucky landlord to get 8% yield at current time, especially on a new build. You might get this for a year before they fold at which point you will probably suffer a 25% loss if you have to sell.

Comment

Originally posted by loanarranger View Post
                      Can you please advise if this is a cash purchase?
                      I haven't actually decided that yet ?

Comment

If it is a cash purchase you can do exactly what you like but definitely not with the benefit of a mortgage.

Comment

Thanks all for your replies, I'm researching further. We can't be the only ones interested in this ......
                          I wonder who buys all of these properties...

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley. H View Post
                            I wonder who buys all of these properties...
                            People who are soon parted from their money (in my personal opinion).

You have to ask why the developer is doing this kind of deal.
                            It's not to benefit you.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Should we start a Ltd Company?
                              by jpkeates
                              There isn't really a one size fits all answer to this.
                              You probably need to work it through with an accountant, so you can model the alternatives.

One point to consider is that you don't "transfer" property to the company, the company buys it from you (and everyone pays...
                              19-04-2021, 10:24 AM
                            • Should we start a Ltd Company?
                              by Meggs
                              Hi All

What is it that pushes people to put their properties into a Ltd Company, should I do this?

So currently, my fiancée has a flat we plan to sell in a year or two for a freehold house. I have just inherited half a house purchasing the other half from my sister. It requires...
                              19-04-2021, 08:19 AM
                            • Must own 2nd house for BTL acceptance
                              by rachel_89
                              Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I have a plan and I'm worried there might be a flaw in it. I don't own any property right now and never have. I am planning on buying my first property worth £200,000 in the next two months with a regular residential mortgage and I want to live in it for about...
                              18-03-2021, 10:45 AM
                            • Reply to Must own 2nd house for BTL acceptance
                              by Meggs
                              Welcome

I am pretty new here too and into the property world so can only speak from my own (few) experiences.

Is this first property you're buying help-to-buy free? If so check you T&Cs in the mortgage agreement. Myself and my Fiancée managed to rent her property out as...
                              19-04-2021, 07:42 AM
                            • Reply to Leasehold problem
                              by Lawcruncher
                              Just to confirm: The lender is insisting that a lease is actually in place before you apply for a mortgage?
                              18-04-2021, 11:16 AM
                            • Leasehold problem
                              by dizzymill
                              Hi. Trying to buy a flat in a block of 4 in a purpose built block as a BTL. The owner converted the block and has now put 2 flats up for sale. These have not had a lease on them as up to now the original owner had them rented out. We have been told by BM solutions that a lease must be in place before...
                              12-04-2021, 18:33 PM
                            • Reply to Tenants in common: Individual names and Limited company on one title
                              by Gordon999
                              In post no. 1 , you said :

" Solicitors/Accountant thoughts:
                              1. They have never seen this happen and its odd
                              2. How will you sort the rental income be sorted between individuals and company
                              3. HMRC may not like this"

Your solicitor and accountant may be the odd ones if they...
                              18-04-2021, 05:29 AM
                            • Tenants in common: Individual names and Limited company on one title
                              by anilvek
                              Hi all

Basically, before I start, I have spoken to accountants and solicitors who think I am frankly absurd and my proposal is something that is unheard of following which I have decided to not to go with this route, given changing landscape of BTL I wanted to ascertain how absurd my fellow...
                              08-04-2021, 12:22 PM
                            • Reply to Leasehold problem
                              by Gordon999
                              Its not purpose built block , because its a conversion into 4 flats from an existing freehold house.

Usually flats are sold under leasehold title in UK because mortgage lenders insist on flat having a maintenance agreement for the property as a condition for offering the loan.
                              18-04-2021, 05:13 AM
                            • Reply to Selling with 88 years lease remaining
                              by Gordon999
                              The procedure for statutory 90 years lease extension is a legal right given to every leaseholder after 2 years .

The free guides on "statutory 90 years lease extension" and "valuation of cost of lease extension" can be downloaded from LEASE ( www.lease-advice...
                              18-04-2021, 04:00 AM
                            Working...
                            X