Assured Rental Scheme on New builds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assured Rental Scheme on New builds

Hello, hoping someone with experience may be able to advise!
    I am considering purchasing an off plan apartment with an assured rental for 10 years. What are the potential pitfalls with these purchases please ?

That, like many people who do this, you get ripped off by the developer, who factors the rental costs into the price they sell the property at, which overvalues it significantly and the price adjusts to market levels in the next few years.
    Or they go bust or sell the property on and the assured rental is not available.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

With any new development is on the reputation of the developer, if the project is delivered on time, how snagging is rectified, what the contract states concerning the rental increases over the period or is it the same, how would you be able to get your property back if you wanted to sell. Usually they add other costs to specking out the flooring, worktops etc, from the base level.

The list is long you need to do a lot of homework on :

The development, the purchase, other properties in the area for a similar property so your buying at a premium.

The warranty, the leasehold deed/titles, services charges etc.

The rental agreement

Comment

Thank you for your answers. I guess I expected to be paying slightly over, despite the reduced off plan price ! The assured tenancy is what is attractive attractive and I'm satisfied with the service charges and lease.

Comment

While the rental might be attractive it's not as guaranteed as you might imagine.
          Developments are usually single purpose ventures and, if the developing company simply ceases to exist (due to some hard to predict calamity), what are you going to able to do and to afford to do?

If the developer has a history of decades of happy purchasers, it might be worth a punt.

The main question you should ask yourself is why they're doing this - it's unlikely to be for your benefit.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If you are considering buying with a mortgage, remember that such arrangements do not conform with the type of acceptable letting for any Buy to Let lender and don’t accept any assurances that they do by the White sock brigade marketing the development.

Comment

Pitfalls is not getting the market rent . You may be renting below market value for 10 years.

Comment

The assured rental guaranteed is 8% of purchase price for 10 years. We can give 3 months notice to end.
                I had started the hunt for small houses but the above option allows me not to be involved or have the worries of maintaining the properties.
                I guess I'm banking on an easy sell after 5 years if necessary ........

Comment

Can you please advise if this is a cash purchase?

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley. H View Post
                    The assured rental guaranteed is 8% of purchase price for 10 years. We can give 3 months notice to end.
                    I had started the hunt for small houses but the above option allows me not to be involved or have the worries of maintaining the properties.
                    I guess I'm banking on an easy sell after 5 years if necessary ........
                    I'm afraid that's patently unsustainable, you'd be a lucky landlord to get 8% yield at current time, especially on a new build. You might get this for a year before they fold at which point you will probably suffer a 25% loss if you have to sell.

Comment

Originally posted by loanarranger View Post
                      Can you please advise if this is a cash purchase?
                      I haven't actually decided that yet ?

Comment

If it is a cash purchase you can do exactly what you like but definitely not with the benefit of a mortgage.

Comment

Thanks all for your replies, I'm researching further. We can't be the only ones interested in this ......
                          I wonder who buys all of these properties...

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley. H View Post
                            I wonder who buys all of these properties...
                            People who are soon parted from their money (in my personal opinion).

You have to ask why the developer is doing this kind of deal.
                            It's not to benefit you.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Mortgage loan management
                              by broodly
                              Hi,
                              Kindly help me I am stuck in a big problem. I face a big loss in business and because of that many of my property has been sold. I have to pay a loan of bank and don't have much money. I got only 10000$ in my account right now and no one here to guide me. My friend suggest me to contact truthinequity...
                              16-04-2021, 05:51 AM
                            • Reply to Mortgage loan management
                              by loanarranger
                              Broodly I am sorry to learn of your plight but I fear that you need advice closer to home as Truthinequity is an organisation operating in the USA and from my research does not operate in the U.K.
                              Clearly their web site and promo seems tantalising good but I cannot make any comments n its pro...
                              16-04-2021, 06:53 AM
                            • Reply to Leasehold problem
                              by Gordon999
                              Insist on a leasehold title with peppercorn ground rent and the legal ownership of the building will collectively belong to the leaseholders.
                              14-04-2021, 13:42 PM
                            • Leasehold problem
                              by dizzymill
                              Hi. Trying to buy a flat in a block of 4 in a purpose built block as a BTL. The owner converted the block and has now put 2 flats up for sale. These have not had a lease on them as up to now the original owner had them rented out. We have been told by BM solutions that a lease must be in place before...
                              12-04-2021, 18:33 PM
                              by loanarranger
                              And to add to JPKeats response , check the Service & Ground Rent Charges , how much is already in reserve for the maintenance and redecoration of the common parts , selling off units is perfectly ok but As there are no leases in place ,the vendor may have an ulterior motive so YES get the lease...
                              13-04-2021, 21:26 PM
                              by jpkeates
                              Nothing to do with the mortgage, but you'd be nuts to try and review and agree a lease at completion.
                              You're buying the leasehold interest, you need to know what you're about to pay a huge sum of money for.
                              13-04-2021, 11:32 AM
                              by loanarranger
                              I regret to say that this is normally a pre-requisite of all lenders not just BM Solutions but may differ for Scotland. I am surprised that the vendor hasn’t done this prior to marketing the two flats.
                              To understand here is the published criteria from BM which fully explains their policy to...
                              12-04-2021, 21:43 PM
                            • Reply to Positive News for Landlords
                              by loanarranger
                              You make a fair point and one which I cannot but agree with but as with what I try to do on the Forum I simply report the news and media comment from lenders and other related parties.
                              10-04-2021, 15:30 PM
                            • Positive News for Landlords
                              by loanarranger
                              I am detailing an article which has appeared in a leading Trade publication and written by Bob Young C.E.O of Fleet Mortgages which sets out his thoughts and the information gleaned from the recent Capital Economics Report on the Housing Sector. Well worth reading over a cup of coffee

"...
                              10-04-2021, 11:23 AM
                            • Reply to Positive News for Landlords
                              by royw
                              Sounds like spin to me. There's a stamp duty holiday but the price increase in my area far exceeds the tax saving. Not sure how that benefits Joe Public. Funny how they are completely blind to the problem of evicting non paying tenants, added costs with eicr and EPC and potential removal of S21. I haven't...
                              10-04-2021, 13:11 PM
                            Working...
                            X