Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buy to let in Manchester

Hi everyone,

I am going to do a buy-to-let in Manchester. Planning to have a semidetached or terraced, with refurb. perhaps in the southwest or northwest region. Is it hard to find a tenant?

Usu how long should I expect to have a tenant? And is there any tools online I can use to get some ideas?

Thank you!!

This website may help you:

https://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_...ter_manchester

Comment

Manchester can be a minefield (like all big cities, I guess) - you need to choose your area carefully. Agent-managed or not, you don't want to end up with Frank Gallagher as a tenant !

Fully research how much houses in an area rent for and sell for, and search daily to see how quickly they're renting and selling once listed.

If I were buying, I'd choose an area like Dane Bank or Reddish (yes, technically not Manchester, but still within the M60). Slightly more expensive than nearby Gorton, with a lower yield, but you'll attract a better class of tenant, and generally get a better capital appreciation. I say like, because I'd recommend finding an area near where you live - ideally no more than a 20 minute drive.

Tenants mostly don't even know themselves how long they're going to stay, despite often having plans. Mine usually stay between 1 and 3 years before moving on.

Comment

You should visit the local estate agents and ask what is the waiting time for finding a tenant . I guess a semi-detach house with off -street parking may be quicker than on the road outside a row of terrace house

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Positive News for Landlords
          by loanarranger
          I am detailing an article which has appeared in a leading Trade publication and written by Bob Young C.E.O of Fleet Mortgages which sets out his thoughts and the information gleaned from the recent Capital Economics Report on the Housing Sector. Well worth reading over a cup of coffee

"...
          10-04-2021, 11:23 AM
        • Reply to Positive News for Landlords
          by loanarranger
          You make a fair point and one which I cannot but agree with but as with what I try to do on the Forum I simply report the news and media comment from lenders and other related parties.
          10-04-2021, 15:30 PM
        • Reply to Positive News for Landlords
          by royw
          Sounds like spin to me. There's a stamp duty holiday but the price increase in my area far exceeds the tax saving. Not sure how that benefits Joe Public. Funny how they are completely blind to the problem of evicting non paying tenants, added costs with eicr and EPC and potential removal of S21. I haven't...
          10-04-2021, 13:11 PM
        • Mortgage News
          by loanarranger
          The following article has appeared in one of the Mortgage Trade journals reporting on views expressed by the Association of Mortgage Intermediaries an influential trade body within the mortgage industry.

"Mortgage rates are likely to rise in the first quarter of 2016 as lenders look...
          23-12-2015, 19:43 PM
        • Reply to Mortgage News
          by loanarranger
          Halifax improves the transparency for Non UK Nationals
          Halifax overhauls mortgage criteria for all non-UK national applicants

by: Owain Thomas

Halifax is overhauling its mortgage application criteria for all non-UK nationals following Brexit.

Many lenders have been...
          10-04-2021, 11:28 AM
        • Advice on first purchase
          by Muggy0101
          Hello there. I’m just looking for some advice really. For the longest time I’ve always wanted to do what my father and my family do which is be a landlord for a second income. However I’m quite muddled as to what I need to achieve before I can.

I’m 20 year old working full time...
          07-04-2021, 23:52 PM
        • Reply to Advice on first purchase
          by loanarranger
          Gordon thanks for clarifying what I tried to communicate.

The normal minimum age of an applicant is 21 and sometimes 25 but there are several lenders including Clydesdale who will accept persons having attained 18 years of age
          10-04-2021, 09:40 AM
        • Reply to Advice on first purchase
          by Gordon999
          Muggy0101,

I think what loanarranger means by "Involvement of your father" is to buy the first rental property in joint names with your father; and you can register the buyers as "tenants in common" to take a larger interest in the property.

10-04-2021, 06:23 AM
        • Tenants in common: Individual names and Limited company on one title
          by anilvek
          Hi all

Basically, before I start, I have spoken to accountants and solicitors who think I am frankly absurd and my proposal is something that is unheard of following which I have decided to not to go with this route, given changing landscape of BTL I wanted to ascertain how absurd my fellow...
          08-04-2021, 12:22 PM
        • Reply to Tenants in common: Individual names and Limited company on one title
          by nukecad
          No confusion on my part, I'm just pointing out that rewording your proposal using simpler language may get you further.

I'm not the one having a problem with getting accountants/solicitors to understand a proposed scheme.
          But if I was then I'd try rewording it.
          10-04-2021, 02:19 AM
        Working...
        X