Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTL mortgage while currently living at property

Hi,

I would like to rent out my home and move away from london to rent another property. Can I obtain a BTL mortgage while still living in my own property and what is the normal period of grace allowed to move out once obtaining the mortgage?

Obviously I could move out before the application but I would be losing money while the flat sits empty.

Thanks
    Paddy

If yourproperty is in Mortgage and you genuinely need to move away from yourpresent base , firstly contact your lender and seek a Consent to Let, this if granted can be allowed for 12 months or indeed open ended, but if granted you will need an AST and for your Insurers to be notified of the situation.
    You cannot secure a Buy to Let Mortgage where you intend to remain in situ, such borrowings are NonRegulated and the applicant has to declare that neither they or their family will occupy the property, make a false declaration and the consequences are considerable including at the very least the loan being call in and your name being placed on the Hunter Register which alerts other participating lenders know of what you have done.

Comment

Thank you very much for the detailed response. I certainly wouldn’t want to defraud the bank, just to move out as soon as the mortgage is approved.

If I request consent to let from my current provider I will still be in the same situation in that I can’t move out/rent it out until they approve but if I wait until they approve there will be a lag of a couple of weeks while I vacate the place.

Comment

Unfortunately the horse comes before the cart, You cannot jump the gun by letting in advance of the Consent being granted, furthermore if you are letting via a Letting Agent , they have a legal obligation to obtain either the formal consent to Let approval from the clients lender or proof that the current mortgage is indeed a Buy to Let facility. This is to protect themselves and importantly the prospective tenants in the event that if you defaulted on your loan and they sought possession, the tenant would be allowed to remain for the period of the Unexpired term of the AST, but if Consent were not granted you would be at risk of being sued by the tenant, not a risk worth taking.
        From my experience, and this depends on who your lender is, an application is normally considered and responded to withinone/ two weeks, if however there are any questions the lender requires clarification on then the time line will naturally take longer; also bear in mind that many staff working for lenders are working remotely and therefore there can be slight delays in the stated time lines.
        I appreciate the quandary you might find yourself in but to do the process correctly you do need to abide by what I have indicated.

Comment

We did this years back and obtained a consent to let by the current BDG society - we obtained quotes and advice from a local letting agency . The BDG society set out their requiremnts for the let ie only to let to working people and so on and so forth - When we left the property we gave the keys to the letting agency who then found tenants - There was some paperwork to do but it was straighforward and our reasons were that my husbands work had re-located

Comment

Alice123 is spot on , if the case is plausible then I have yet to have a lender decline a Consent to Let request , unfortunately for some The plausibility and credibility doesn’t hold water and are surprised to be rejected but these are in the minority fortunately.

Comment

Becoming a landlord is not as easy as it used to be. Why not sell and make life simpler.

Comment

Life does not get simpler after selling your BTL property. Its a hard life if you rely on the state pension of £140 p.w

The cash deposited in the bank only earns around 1% compared to 5% - 6% from rental property.

Comment

Is it not the case that a Consent To Let would work differently to a BTL? Surely a CTL doesn't mean that you have to let it. I don't see that remaining in the property after a CTL has been agreed would be illegal.

Comment

Perhaps apply for consent to let ( due to possible job change ) for one year and change to BTL mortgage later .

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Positive News for Landlords
                      by loanarranger
                      I am detailing an article which has appeared in a leading Trade publication and written by Bob Young C.E.O of Fleet Mortgages which sets out his thoughts and the information gleaned from the recent Capital Economics Report on the Housing Sector. Well worth reading over a cup of coffee

"...
                      10-04-2021, 11:23 AM
                    • Reply to Positive News for Landlords
                      by loanarranger
                      You make a fair point and one which I cannot but agree with but as with what I try to do on the Forum I simply report the news and media comment from lenders and other related parties.
                      10-04-2021, 15:30 PM
                    • Reply to Positive News for Landlords
                      by royw
                      Sounds like spin to me. There's a stamp duty holiday but the price increase in my area far exceeds the tax saving. Not sure how that benefits Joe Public. Funny how they are completely blind to the problem of evicting non paying tenants, added costs with eicr and EPC and potential removal of S21. I haven't...
                      10-04-2021, 13:11 PM
                    • Mortgage News
                      by loanarranger
                      The following article has appeared in one of the Mortgage Trade journals reporting on views expressed by the Association of Mortgage Intermediaries an influential trade body within the mortgage industry.

"Mortgage rates are likely to rise in the first quarter of 2016 as lenders look...
                      23-12-2015, 19:43 PM
                    • Reply to Mortgage News
                      by loanarranger
                      Halifax improves the transparency for Non UK Nationals
                      Halifax overhauls mortgage criteria for all non-UK national applicants

by: Owain Thomas

Halifax is overhauling its mortgage application criteria for all non-UK nationals following Brexit.

Many lenders have been...
                      10-04-2021, 11:28 AM
                    • Reply to Advice on first purchase
                      by loanarranger
                      Gordon thanks for clarifying what I tried to communicate.

The normal minimum age of an applicant is 21 and sometimes 25 but there are several lenders including Clydesdale who will accept persons having attained 18 years of age
                      10-04-2021, 09:40 AM
                    • Advice on first purchase
                      by Muggy0101
                      Hello there. I’m just looking for some advice really. For the longest time I’ve always wanted to do what my father and my family do which is be a landlord for a second income. However I’m quite muddled as to what I need to achieve before I can.

I’m 20 year old working full time...
                      07-04-2021, 23:52 PM
                    • Reply to Advice on first purchase
                      by Gordon999
                      Muggy0101,

I think what loanarranger means by "Involvement of your father" is to buy the first rental property in joint names with your father; and you can register the buyers as "tenants in common" to take a larger interest in the property.

10-04-2021, 06:23 AM
                    • Tenants in common: Individual names and Limited company on one title
                      by anilvek
                      Hi all

Basically, before I start, I have spoken to accountants and solicitors who think I am frankly absurd and my proposal is something that is unheard of following which I have decided to not to go with this route, given changing landscape of BTL I wanted to ascertain how absurd my fellow...
                      08-04-2021, 12:22 PM
                    • Reply to Tenants in common: Individual names and Limited company on one title
                      by nukecad
                      No confusion on my part, I'm just pointing out that rewording your proposal using simpler language may get you further.

I'm not the one having a problem with getting accountants/solicitors to understand a proposed scheme.
                      But if I was then I'd try rewording it.
                      10-04-2021, 02:19 AM
                    Working...
                    X