first time buyer - need a lawyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first time buyer - need a lawyer

I need a recommendation please. First time buyer in London.... so many options, however there are many firms and solicitors that aren't taking on any new clients.

Where are you located in London?

Comment

Why are n't they taking on new clients? That sounds odd?

Comment

Further to my earlier response , there is a potential problem in just picking a firm to act for you, lenders have specific requirements on who is elibible and invariable have a panel of approved solicitors , if the firm selected isn’t on the panel then they would have to apply for appointment which under the current problems associated with Covid19 could prove time consuming and ultimately delay the processing of an application.

Comment

They don't like sole practitioners. The mass market firms work like sausage machines, with a different team attending to each stage of the work and that isn't very satisfactory either. The ideal firm to go to is a smallish partnership of ten or so partners. Don't choose based on price because cheap can be dear where it comes to legal advice.

Comment

Flyingfreehold makes a constructive comment , Lenders who offer “ free conveyancing” often use such types of conveyancing firms and it is rare that one can speak with the same person, this leads to delays and frustrationson everyone’s part.

Comment

Why would any organization/corporation refuse to take new clients?

Comment

Originally posted by sixunforced View Post
                I need a recommendation please. First time buyer in London.... so many options, however there are many firms and solicitors that aren't taking on any new clients.
                Do you have a friend ,relative or workmate who has used a solicitor in the last year or so who would be able to recommend one to you? Bear in mind that your solicitor does not have to be located right next to the property you wish to buy. I would be careful when comparing on price alone as much of the costs in buying will be for searches and fees which will be the same for all
                Last edited by AlexR; 27-06-2022, 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Samsontryn View Post
                  Why would any organization/corporation refuse to take new clients?
                  Because they can't process their business.
                  For most legal firms a new client is someone who has a pressing need for some work to be done, now.

There is a huge shortage of solicitors and other legally trained people.

Much of which is due to how much it is possible for a newly qualified solicitor to earn in the large legal firms, particularly in London.

The starting salary for a newly qualified solicitor with an international legal firm in London in 2022 can be £95k plus bonuses.
                  Smaller legal firms in London can't afford to pay staff that much and there is a significant trend of people moving from smaller to larger firms.
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Best to choose a local solicitor firm for conveyancing work ( easier to show your identity document ). You can find their adverts in the yellow pages or telephone directory at your public library .

Check out the firm's website for solicitor for property conveyancing. Give solicitor a telephone call and ask for quotation for conveyancing ( buying property with mortgage, registration at Land Registry and serving notice on freeholder for leasehold property ). Ask how many years experience the solicitor has for property conveyancing work and how busy they are ?. Ask what charges are applied if the property is withdrawn before exchange of sale contracts ?.

Make this enquiry to 3 conveyancing firms to find a favourable price.

Just realised this is an old thread , started nearly 2 years ago..

Comment

Earlier in the OP’s I enquired where they lived as I know solicitors in various locations whom I would have no hesitation in recommending but to help I would suggest a call to TWM in Guildford, they act for several lenders and recently acted for a client purchasing in Nottingham but who was delighted with the professional manner they dealt with the conveyance, also the client himself lived in Nottingham.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Current mortgage dilemma
                        by Gordon999
                        The inflation rate at end of July has risen to 10.1%. This is bound to push up interest rates if you are re-mortgaging .

One newspaper is forecasting another rise in interest rate by BOE next month , up by 0.5% to 2.25%

But I noticed that some petrol stations have reduced...
                        18-08-2022, 09:05 AM
                      • Reply to Freehold purchase
                        by Section20z
                        If you both exercise the right to buy then you would share the freehold, otherwise none (unless the freeholder informally agrees to sell to you)...
                        15-08-2022, 21:15 PM
                      • Freehold purchase
                        by landing
                        Hello

What are the advantages of freehold vs leasehold for a house (not flat)?

I can only see disadvantages in the leasehold:
                        - property depreciates as lease passes
                        - have to pay service charges and ground rent
                        - need to renew after several years...
                        12-08-2022, 00:25 AM
                        by gnvqsos
                        I bet this is on leasehold to local authority, and they will not sell....
                        15-08-2022, 18:23 PM
                        by landing
                        Thanks!
                        If I buy a leasehold maisonette and there is a flat above that, am I entitled to buy the freehold of both or only the share of freehold or none?
                        15-08-2022, 15:52 PM
                        by Gordon999
                        1. If you buy a leasehold house and hold for two years, you will be qualified to make compulsory purchase of the freehold title.
                        2. Buying the freehold title is better than extending the lease.
                        3. The freehold costs will depend on the years on lease and the annual ground rent.
                        4. A...
                        15-08-2022, 13:07 PM
                        by doobrey
                        Agreed. I wouldn't consider buying a leasehold house....
                        12-08-2022, 12:36 PM
                        by Gordon999
                        If you purchase a house under leasehold title, you become the leaseholder and subject to the terms of the lease. ( paying annual ground rent , building insurance and service charges etc).

But leaseholders also have right to enfranchisement ( purchase of freehold title) under the...
                        12-08-2022, 12:33 PM
                        by gnvqsos
                        Hope that is OK
                        12-08-2022, 12:31 PM
                      • Current mortgage dilemma
                        by blinko
                        the current situation will have sorted itself out, in 2 to 3 years unfortunately my mortgage comes off it's fixed Jan 2023

Base rate likely to be 0.23% higher Jan 2023 worst case 0.75% in the middle 0.5% (also looking at the recent US rate movement)

My options are I think...
                        31-07-2022, 12:35 PM
                      Working...
                      X