Sell and invest or continue to let

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sell and invest or continue to let

Hello. I lived in my property from 1996 to 2003 and it has been let since then to various tenants. The last tenant has been in the property 7 years. She is leaving this week and I am unsure whether to relet or sell. I bought the house for 52,500 and it’s now worth c. £210000. It has been let at £695 and is fully managed as I don’t live locally any more. I’ve just got a new job and I’m now in the 40% tax band. I calculate I will need to pay about £26000 in CGT if I sell now. I would want to invest the money- as my partner and I plan to use the income to help fund retirement in around 10 years time. It sounds like CGT is only going to go up so I’m concerned that if I continue to let, any gain I make over 10 years will end up being used to pay tax. On the other hand, if I sell now, savings rates are appalling. Any thoughts ( I know there is no right answer,).

If the property is worth £210,000, the rent should probably be significantly more than £695 now.
    And the place probably needs some refreshing.

There isn't a right answer, but those are things you should probably factor in.

No one knows what will happen with CGT, so it's essentially a guess.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks. Properties in the area are let now at £725-£750 but are on the market for £230000. The agent told me it didn’t need work prior to readvertising but I’ve set aside money for redecorating. I probably need to weigh up the advantages and disadvantages before letting out again. Thanks for your response

Comment

yields are lower in the south east than oop north

Comment

Yes , The rental yield is low. I agree you should switch to another property with higher rent. .

Comment

Guess it depends on your needs and wants. Seems like you’ve had a decent time letting it so perhaps let sleeping dogs lie. Make some rental profit and don’t forget that CGT is not going to be 100% so say you make an additional £100,000 in capital growth over the next 10 years even if CGT rises to say 40% then allowing for the additional from today’s rates on the current value you are still going to make an additional say £50,000 if selling them.

more clearly if the CGT rate doesn’t increase very much. If it increases at all.

Comment

Why not just leave the current setup, let out to a new person, and don't increase the rent too much - the goal is to reduce/eradicate voids.

Once this is in place then use any "spare" cash each month to feed your ISA..... after that throw is all in a SIPP. Get the government to top up and you can also top up, if still a higher tax payer, on your self assessment form. I have setup a JISA with Nutmeg, fully managed and am achieving 14% without lifting a finger. I'm sure SIPPs wil lbe able to match or beat that, even tracking the S&P should give a decent return over 10 years.

Finally once you take the money out after 10 years, you have zero tax on the ISA and low rates for rthe SIPP as I'm assuming you will not have any main salary to push you into a higher rate.

Spend the 10 years moving funds from growth to income and all will be good!!!

I have nothing against buying another property but sometimes I feel Mr Sunak will be out to reclaim his billions from someone ... and I bet landlords will be easy target..

good luck

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Advice please selling to limited company
                by Stables
                I purchased a small fire damaged storage garage/unit (non residential) last year for £45,000, it was funded via personal savings and personal finance which my wife and I took out, so no outstanding mortgage.

I now wish to set up my own limited company and sell the unit to it. At some time...
                07-08-2020, 11:00 AM
              • Reply to Advice please selling to limited company
                by Gordon999
                I suggest you visit 2 or 3 local shops ( for bookkeeping records and VAT returns for small local businesses ) and ask for quote for supply of "company ltd" and for preparing the annual return to Companies House and ask if the shop can do the transfer of property to company.
                09-08-2020, 09:21 AM
              • Mortgages - Buy 2 Let v. Vacation Rentals
                by Halfbob
                On verge of organising a Buy to Let interest only mortgage at a pretty good rate but had a last minute rethink. May now do vacation Rentals in the property we're buying as the location lends itself to that and there's the Tax Advantage of Mortgage Interest being an allowable deduction from the Taxable...
                08-08-2020, 12:21 PM
              • Reply to Mortgages - Buy 2 Let v. Vacation Rentals
                by loanarranger
                To put your enquiry my database shows the following lenders who indicate that they will consider HolidayLet/AirbnB
                YES LENDERS
                • Harpenden
                • Teachers
                • Vernon BS

REFER LENDERS
                • Furness BS

If you check these lenders out and go to Products & Criteria you will understand the...
                08-08-2020, 15:44 PM
                by jpkeates
                Mortgage products are based on risk profiles which are regulated.

The risks associated with a tenancy - where the occupants are usually long term - and the risks associated with a holiday let (or a mortgagee's residential home) are different.

Nothing in what you have said surprises...
                08-08-2020, 15:24 PM
                by loanarranger
                The advices given by your various brokers is indeed correct, there are a number of lenders who will consider holiday type let’s and the rates are higher reflecting the higher risks associated.
                When you make an application for a conventional Buy to Let you declare that the Letting will be on...
                08-08-2020, 14:47 PM
              • SDLT and purchase reservation fees
                by ritfor
                Hello folks,

For second homes:

Purchasing a property for 33k. Reservation fee 6k. Total 39k = No SDLT.
                Purchasing a property for 35k. Reservation fee 6k. Total 41k = 3% SDLT.

This is correct isn't it?

Thanks.
                20-06-2020, 12:03 PM
                by jpkeates
                Obviously I am not au fait with your situation, but you might benefit from talking to a decent financial advisor if you haven't already done so.

If you could get the property into a pension scheme (some kind of SIPP) the income and any asset growth might be tax effective. Getting the business...
                07-08-2020, 14:32 PM
                by Stables
                There are 3 other units located within the same yard, the owner of which has approached me and has given me first refusal to purchase them, later this year as he is retiring.

Therefore, I intend to set up a limited company which will own the whole site. Both my wife and I work with good...
                07-08-2020, 14:18 PM
                by loanarranger
                This is relatively straight forward, you need a solicitor to deal with the Sale & Purchase of the Property once you have created ideally an SPV company, but before you do this and as per my past postings you should discuss everything with a qualified accountant not a Bookkeeper, you will then understand...
                07-08-2020, 13:16 PM
              Working...
              X