Remortgaging Advice

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Remortgaging Advice

    Hi everyone,

    I run a small limited company that wholly owns a rental property with no mortgage.

    We are looking to expand our portfolio and would like to do this by remortgaging our existing property. This property was inherited and has no outstanding mortgage.

    We'd like to remortgage for about 50% of the value of the property.

    My question is, do we need a deposit to remortgage? I can't seem to find a clear answer on this and this is our first time dealing with mortgages etc.

    Any advice would be really appreciated!

    Thank you.

    #2
    When you say you want to remortgage your existing property do you mean the existing property you rent out that is owned by your Ltd Co or the existing property that you live in?
    Either way you won’t need a deposit, the equity you leave in the property is effectively the deposit.

    Comment


      #3
      I am assuming that your Ltd Company is a Trading concern and not a Single Purpose Company set up exclusively to buy , letvand hold residential property for investment. If I am correct it is important to note that not every lender within the BtL sector grants mortgages to Trading Concerns therefore you might need to establish from a broker who will lend and what terms might be available.
      As BTL Investor has correctly stated , remortgaging an unencumbered property does not require any funding on your part, the loan will indeed be based on the strength of the rental income using the lenders criteria for Ltd Co’s , which tends to be lower than if it is held in a personal capacity. The terms can be at least 25 years although in most cases the mortgage incentive rate will normally be up to 5 years thereafter reverting to its Standard Variable rate or maybe a loyalty switch rate.
      One word of caution if the company has shareholders who are not directors and have a shareholding between 20% b 25% then they too will usually be required to provide their Personal Guarantees and be underwritten in the same manner as the Directors. Also if it is indeed a Trading Co the lending might insist on registering a floating charge across the company’s assets not just the rental property.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by BTL investor View Post
        When you say you want to remortgage your existing property do you mean the existing property you rent out that is owned by your Ltd Co or the existing property that you live in?
        Either way you won’t need a deposit, the equity you leave in the property is effectively the deposit.
        Hello, thanks for your reply! We would be remortgaging the property that we rent out, owned by the limited company. Thanks for the info, that's what I had suspected.

        Comment


          #5
          Amazing. Ltd company inherits house.

          Could happen, but not common.
          I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by loanarranger View Post
            I am assuming that your Ltd Company is a Trading concern and not a Single Purpose Company set up exclusively to buy , letvand hold residential property for investment. If I am correct it is important to note that not every lender within the BtL sector grants mortgages to Trading Concerns therefore you might need to establish from a broker who will lend and what terms might be available.
            As BTL Investor has correctly stated , remortgaging an unencumbered property does not require any funding on your part, the loan will indeed be based on the strength of the rental income using the lenders criteria for Ltd Co’s , which tends to be lower than if it is held in a personal capacity. The terms can be at least 25 years although in most cases the mortgage incentive rate will normally be up to 5 years thereafter reverting to its Standard Variable rate or maybe a loyalty switch rate.
            One word of caution if the company has shareholders who are not directors and have a shareholding between 20% b 25% then they too will usually be required to provide their Personal Guarantees and be underwritten in the same manner as the Directors. Also if it is indeed a Trading Co the lending might insist on registering a floating charge across the company’s assets not just the rental property.

            Thankfully we are set up as an SPV! That’s good, thanks for the info! We have some money set aside but would rather use this to add value to a property or cover mortgage payments if tenants don’t pay. Shareholders is something we’d have to look at as my 7 year old brother is a shareholder and obviously doesn’t have any income.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post
              Amazing. Ltd company inherits house.

              Could happen, but not common.
              Haha, we inherited the house but transferred ownership to a limited company.

              Comment


                #8
                Haha , I doubt if 7 year old brother can be asked to give personal guarantee for the loan.

                Comment


                  #9
                  The solution is to keep his share to below 20% and the lenders won’t make it an issue

                  Comment

                  Latest Activity

                  Collapse

                  • Reply to Anyone Buying At Present?
                    by amy131
                    I own a 4 bed property in Bristol. Cost £195k in 2016, now worth £230-240k, all rooms very good sizes, ex. LA. The house has two reception rooms so I use one as the fourth bedroom. My rental yield currently is 8% with all bedrooms rented based on purchase price which is now on the low side for the...
                    10-08-2020, 23:14 PM
                  • Anyone Buying At Present?
                    by woodbine66
                    Wondering if BTL investors are buying at the moment, taking into account property prices and uncertainty over Corona, jobs and the economy? Property prices still seem to be holding up near me and lots still selling. Anyone care to predict what's going to happen to prices and demand in near future....
                    04-08-2020, 12:27 PM
                  • Reply to Anyone Buying At Present?
                    by hech123
                    Look further North. You can much better yields and the market is only getting going there. Lots of interest and competition...
                    10-08-2020, 18:30 PM
                  • Reply to Mortgage News
                    by loanarranger
                    Gatehouse Bank have announced their withdrawal from accepting mortgage applications on New Build Flats citing an increased volume of application for both Homeownership but also BtL investors. I suspect that they like other lenders are taking cover for the present until certification of Fire Safety compliance...
                    10-08-2020, 09:41 AM
                  • Mortgage News
                    by loanarranger
                    The following article has appeared in one of the Mortgage Trade journals reporting on views expressed by the Association of Mortgage Intermediaries an influential trade body within the mortgage industry.

                    "Mortgage rates are likely to rise in the first quarter of 2016 as lenders look...
                    23-12-2015, 19:43 PM
                  • Reply to Mortgages - Buy 2 Let v. Vacation Rentals
                    by Halfbob
                    Interesting, thanks for that. It would very much be a "summer season" and other School Holiday type Vacation Property, so that wouldn't be disastrous. Other than the fact that if it's available to Let for less than 210 days per year you can't claim Mortgage Interest Tax Relief. But then...
                    09-08-2020, 18:53 PM
                  • Mortgages - Buy 2 Let v. Vacation Rentals
                    by Halfbob
                    On verge of organising a Buy to Let interest only mortgage at a pretty good rate but had a last minute rethink. May now do vacation Rentals in the property we're buying as the location lends itself to that and there's the Tax Advantage of Mortgage Interest being an allowable deduction from the Taxable...
                    08-08-2020, 12:21 PM
                  • Reply to Anyone Buying At Present?
                    by doobrey
                    Yields seem fairly horrendous. £850 pcm on a £220k property is 4.6% gross with no voids.

                    Rental return is low, compliance requirements and risk are high.

                    I don't see much of a case for buying unless you can do something clever or find something genuinely underpriced.
                    09-08-2020, 16:05 PM
                  • Reply to Mortgages - Buy 2 Let v. Vacation Rentals
                    by Section20z
                    Don't forget that London already restricts holiday letting to 90 days a year (without planning consent) and it is likely other areas will follow with similar restrictions.
                    09-08-2020, 14:45 PM
                  • Reply to Mortgages - Buy 2 Let v. Vacation Rentals
                    by loanarranger
                    Thanks for replying in such a professional manner.

                    If the short term lender indicates limited or zero demand having paid valuation and possibly non refundable applications fees, then your broker will need to research the BtL market and source a conventional lending option.
                    Please...
                    09-08-2020, 12:20 PM
                  Working...
                  X