The Labour Party wants Landlords excluded from the Stamp Duty incentive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Labour Party wants Landlords excluded from the Stamp Duty incentive

I am submitting an article which appeared in a mortgage trade briefing note which once again shows the lack of understanding of the positive contribution which Private Landlords make in providing rental accommodation.

" Labour calls for landlords to be excluded from £1.3bn stamp duty cut

by: Lana Clements

Second homeowners and landlords should not benefit from the stamp duty holiday announced this week by chancellor Rishi Sunak, according to Labour.

In an open letter to housing minister Robert Jenrick, the party has said the tax cut is worth £1.3bn to property investors.

The cash could fund the gap in local councils’ finances, Labour argued.

In the summer statement this week, Sunak axed stamp duty on homes worth up to £500,000 for all buyers until 31 March 2021.

Second homebuyers are still subject to the three per cent stamp duty surcharge.

In 2019/20 more than a third of homes bought were second properties, according to Labour.

Shadow housing minister Thangam Debbonaire said: “It is unacceptable that the chancellor tried to sneak out this huge bung to second homeowners and landlords while millions of people are desperate for support.

“He should be targeting support to those who need it, not helping people invest in buy-to-let properties and holiday homes.

“An unnecessary subsidy for second home-owners will only worsen the housing crisis by reducing the supply of homes overall.

“We need a credible plan from Tory ministers to build the homes our country needs and get people on to the housing ladder. We didn’t see that this week.”

A Treasury spokesperson said: “The housing market has been hit hard by the outbreak with 175,000 missing sales – so we are doing everything we can to get the country moving again.

“Our cut in stamp duty will help drive growth and support jobs across the housebuilding and property sectors.

“Those buying second homes or buy-to-let properties will continue to pay an additional three per cent on top of the standard SDLT rates.”

The conservatives have made a bad enough job of how they’ve financially dealt with the Coronavirus issue but I feel so relieved that we weren’t under a labour government throughout all of this.
    Anyone with half a brain knows that the only thing the stamp duty cut achieves is to keep the house price bubble inflated because instead of paying a stamp duty bill every potential buyer either adds that money on to the offer they make on a house or adds it to their deposit to allow them to borrow a bit more (assuming they can afford the increase in repayments).
    Landlords are still paying the surcharge so I don’t see how they are benefiting from the stamp duty cut any more than a main residence buyer, they’ll still be paying the same amount of money out of their pocket just that it’ll be paid in the form of a slightly higher price for the house to make up for the cut in the standard stamp duty rate that has been cut for everybody. The only people I see benefitting from it are people who are selling a house but not buying another one because the money that would normally be paid in stamp duty will instead go in the sellers pocket.
    Ive got money set aside for deposits on 2 or 3 more properties but as a landlord this stamp duty cut doesn’t encourage me one little bit to go out and buy because I’m not stupid enough to think that it financially benefits me or any other buyers. I’m more worried about possible negative equity in the future than getting excited about a stamp duty cut.

Comment

My views exactly BTL investor.

Another way to put it is that the SD cuts are a transfer of wealth from the taxpayer to the sellers of property (who do not go on to buy). I imagine the amount spent on the virus will make the lost stamp duty revenue feel like peanuts (the lost revenue was inevitable anyway given the collapse in transactions), hence why it was done as it keeps the voters happy for pretty much no additional cost.

I was going to buy a few properties for BTL outside of my home city of London. The pandemic caused an abrupt end to this (at least for a while) and now I imagine I will be competing with others given the demand has been brought forward somewhat. Not something I want to compete with TBH. So now I have a nice problem of what to do with my cash savings which are slowly eroding by inflation. Asset prices, both financial and property, are in demand and it is near impossible to find good value assets.

Comment

leasee123

Best thing to do is leave it in the bank and wait for the inevitable crash in prices, not sure exactly how big a crash it will be but i think that by this time next year the prices will come down by more than what I would make in a years rental income on a single property if I was to buy today.
        The stamp duty cut can only inflate the bubble for a limited amount of time.

Comment

But it is a very good opportunity to move a sub £500,000 property into a limited company; or out of it, or into a different limited company's ownership. This does not diminish the supply of housing for first time buyers etc. I wonder if the stamp duty on lease extensions is also abated? it's normally 0% up to £40,000 thereafter 4%.

Comment

Are you sure the sdlt applies to lease extension ? There is no change of ownership.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Anyone Buying At Present?
              by amy131
              I own a 4 bed property in Bristol. Cost £195k in 2016, now worth £230-240k, all rooms very good sizes, ex. LA. The house has two reception rooms so I use one as the fourth bedroom. My rental yield currently is 8% with all bedrooms rented based on purchase price which is now on the low side for the...
              10-08-2020, 23:14 PM
            • Anyone Buying At Present?
              by woodbine66
              Wondering if BTL investors are buying at the moment, taking into account property prices and uncertainty over Corona, jobs and the economy? Property prices still seem to be holding up near me and lots still selling. Anyone care to predict what's going to happen to prices and demand in near future....
              04-08-2020, 12:27 PM
              by hech123
              Look further North. You can much better yields and the market is only getting going there. Lots of interest and competition...
              10-08-2020, 18:30 PM
            • Mortgage News
              by loanarranger
              The following article has appeared in one of the Mortgage Trade journals reporting on views expressed by the Association of Mortgage Intermediaries an influential trade body within the mortgage industry.

"Mortgage rates are likely to rise in the first quarter of 2016 as lenders look...
              23-12-2015, 19:43 PM
            • Reply to Mortgage News
              by loanarranger
              Gatehouse Bank have announced their withdrawal from accepting mortgage applications on New Build Flats citing an increased volume of application for both Homeownership but also BtL investors. I suspect that they like other lenders are taking cover for the present until certification of Fire Safety compliance...
              10-08-2020, 09:41 AM
            • Reply to Mortgages - Buy 2 Let v. Vacation Rentals
              by Halfbob
              Interesting, thanks for that. It would very much be a "summer season" and other School Holiday type Vacation Property, so that wouldn't be disastrous. Other than the fact that if it's available to Let for less than 210 days per year you can't claim Mortgage Interest Tax Relief. But then...
              09-08-2020, 18:53 PM
            • Mortgages - Buy 2 Let v. Vacation Rentals
              by Halfbob
              On verge of organising a Buy to Let interest only mortgage at a pretty good rate but had a last minute rethink. May now do vacation Rentals in the property we're buying as the location lends itself to that and there's the Tax Advantage of Mortgage Interest being an allowable deduction from the Taxable...
              08-08-2020, 12:21 PM
              by doobrey
              Yields seem fairly horrendous. £850 pcm on a £220k property is 4.6% gross with no voids.

Rental return is low, compliance requirements and risk are high.

I don't see much of a case for buying unless you can do something clever or find something genuinely underpriced.
              09-08-2020, 16:05 PM
              by Section20z
              Don't forget that London already restricts holiday letting to 90 days a year (without planning consent) and it is likely other areas will follow with similar restrictions.
              09-08-2020, 14:45 PM
              by loanarranger
              Thanks for replying in such a professional manner.

If the short term lender indicates limited or zero demand having paid valuation and possibly non refundable applications fees, then your broker will need to research the BtL market and source a conventional lending option.
              Please...
              09-08-2020, 12:20 PM
            Working...
            X