My unexpected tale of selling my BTL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My unexpected tale of selling my BTL

Some months ago I decided to sell my Manchester BTL terraced after 8 years owning.Tenants left 1 week before lockdown in March a week later it happened & thought well thats it for selling.
    Anyway spend the last 3 months a few hours weekly decorating,new flooring,carpets etc.It went up for sale monday afternoon this week & the response has been staggering.Currently at 130 viewing requests & 15 offers to buy 6 without viewing 4 of which are from Hong Kong.I am totally happy but stunned.

Properties in my area have been selling quickly and most at asking price. There has been a surge of new rentals coming onto the market also. Many rooms advertised on Spareroom currently in my area are £50 to £100 per month more than I am charging and most don't even have living rooms, rents seem to have gone up considerably over the past year, which I expect is attracting new landlords now. I have good tenants and don't plan to put up rents. Demand seems to be very good from buyers and renters, at least where I am, seems to be the same where you are also.

Comment

Manchester is a big place. Where abouts is your terrace?

Comment

I bet I can guess why the poor people in Hong Kong are trying to buy UK property.

Comment

I own property in North Reddish (not far from Manchester), so I'm always checking out what's selling/renting in the area. Houses are renting in a matter of days, and are sometimes selling just as quickly. I spoke to a friend who told me that houses for sale in South Reddish are going to sealed bids, the demand is that strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Logical.Lean View Post
            Manchester is a big place. Where abouts is your terrace?
            Ethid Stadium overlooking City's training complex

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
              I bet I can guess why the poor people in Hong Kong are trying to buy UK property.
              Manchester has a big Chinatown.

Comment

I advertised a property in the south east during lockdown and had 47 enquiries. It rented very quickly.

Comment

I have just accepted an offer on my property in Beeston, Nottingham. The market here is moving really fast too, with lots of viewings and several offers.

If you remember, before coronavirus the market was really strong and it seems to have picked up where it left off.

So much for all the doom-mongers predicting a crash!

Comment

Glad that worked out for you. A bad recession coming followed by Brexit - the impact on housing will be felt over the next year as people lose their jobs and their homes.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
                      Glad that worked out for you. A bad recession coming followed by Brexit - the impact on housing will be felt over the next year as people lose their jobs and their homes.
                      I'm not convinced a bad recession is coming, possibly a short one or a shallow one. I also doubt the housing market would be affected too badly anyway.

OP mentioned buyers from Hong Kong. Given the current situation there I could imagine many people wanting to find a new home for their invested money, and the UK property market is always a popular place for that. The UK Government has also offered sanctuary to people from HK - that would create extra demand on UK housing.

Hong Kong has the second highest number of millionaires per head of population in the world (second only to Switzerland). That's a lot of properties they could possibly buy to rent out.

On the home front, there's probably a lot of strained relationships being taken to breaking point after being cooped up together in lockdown, resulting in couples now needing two properties, rather than one.

I reckon both rents and property prices could rise despite any possible recession. The housing market is largely governed by supply & demand, whatever the 'weather'.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
                        With the amount of money being pumped into the economy the recession will not hit everyone hard. I think it will be a very unequal picture, with some people hardly affected and a lot of hospitality workers etc hit hard. But none of that changes the fact that there are not enough houses for sale or to rent.

After the 2008 financial crash the money pumped into the economy supported a 10 yr bull market - my money's on the same again.

Comment

Well still going strong with offers above my expectation 2 front runners are both cash buyers similar amount 1 from HK who's provided funds proof,identity docs & local solicitor to me etc & 1 from a big Manchester Housing Association dont know which way to jump & which one will be quickest completion.

Comment

Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
                            After the 2008 financial crash the money pumped into the economy supported a 10 yr bull market - my money's on the same again.
                            It took until 2018 for house prices to, broadly, recover to their 2008 level.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by feederking View Post
                              Well still going strong with offers above my expectation 2 front runners are both cash buyers similar amount 1 from HK who's provided funds proof,identity docs & local solicitor to me etc & 1 from a big Manchester Housing Association dont know which way to jump & which one will be quickest completion.
                              Don't do the housing association - legals will be slow.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Mortgages - Buy 2 Let v. Vacation Rentals
                                by Halfbob
                                Interesting, thanks for that. It would very much be a "summer season" and other School Holiday type Vacation Property, so that wouldn't be disastrous. Other than the fact that if it's available to Let for less than 210 days per year you can't claim Mortgage Interest Tax Relief. But then...
                                09-08-2020, 18:53 PM
                              • Mortgages - Buy 2 Let v. Vacation Rentals
                                by Halfbob
                                On verge of organising a Buy to Let interest only mortgage at a pretty good rate but had a last minute rethink. May now do vacation Rentals in the property we're buying as the location lends itself to that and there's the Tax Advantage of Mortgage Interest being an allowable deduction from the Taxable...
                                08-08-2020, 12:21 PM
                              • Anyone Buying At Present?
                                by woodbine66
                                Wondering if BTL investors are buying at the moment, taking into account property prices and uncertainty over Corona, jobs and the economy? Property prices still seem to be holding up near me and lots still selling. Anyone care to predict what's going to happen to prices and demand in near future....
                                04-08-2020, 12:27 PM
                              • Reply to Anyone Buying At Present?
                                by doobrey
                                Yields seem fairly horrendous. £850 pcm on a £220k property is 4.6% gross with no voids.

Rental return is low, compliance requirements and risk are high.

I don't see much of a case for buying unless you can do something clever or find something genuinely underpriced.
                                09-08-2020, 16:05 PM
                                by Section20z
                                Don't forget that London already restricts holiday letting to 90 days a year (without planning consent) and it is likely other areas will follow with similar restrictions.
                                09-08-2020, 14:45 PM
                                by loanarranger
                                Thanks for replying in such a professional manner.

If the short term lender indicates limited or zero demand having paid valuation and possibly non refundable applications fees, then your broker will need to research the BtL market and source a conventional lending option.
                                Please...
                                09-08-2020, 12:20 PM
                                by Halfbob
                                Absolutely no problem with that, and thank you for taking the time to reply in such detail.

I'm comfortable with regard to the surveyor acting for any lender confirming that the property is in an area where there is a strong demand for such accommodation. If there wasn't I would, and still...
                                09-08-2020, 11:31 AM
                              • Reply to Advice please selling to limited company
                                by flyingfreehold
                                if the sign a TR1 to transfer the property into a limited company the consideration (ie value of the property) is owed to you. It would be possible to grant a mortgage over the property in your favour. There are advantages of owning property in a limited liability company especially in relation to personal...
                                09-08-2020, 10:42 AM
                              • Advice please selling to limited company
                                by Stables
                                I purchased a small fire damaged storage garage/unit (non residential) last year for £45,000, it was funded via personal savings and personal finance which my wife and I took out, so no outstanding mortgage.

I now wish to set up my own limited company and sell the unit to it. At some time...
                                07-08-2020, 11:00 AM
                              • Reply to Advice please selling to limited company
                                by Gordon999
                                I suggest you visit 2 or 3 local shops ( for bookkeeping records and VAT returns for small local businesses ) and ask for quote for supply of "company ltd" and for preparing the annual return to Companies House and ask if the shop can do the transfer of property to company.
                                09-08-2020, 09:21 AM
                              Working...
                              X