My unexpected tale of selling my BTL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My unexpected tale of selling my BTL

Some months ago I decided to sell my Manchester BTL terraced after 8 years owning.Tenants left 1 week before lockdown in March a week later it happened & thought well thats it for selling.
    Anyway spend the last 3 months a few hours weekly decorating,new flooring,carpets etc.It went up for sale monday afternoon this week & the response has been staggering.Currently at 130 viewing requests & 15 offers to buy 6 without viewing 4 of which are from Hong Kong.I am totally happy but stunned.

Properties in my area have been selling quickly and most at asking price. There has been a surge of new rentals coming onto the market also. Many rooms advertised on Spareroom currently in my area are £50 to £100 per month more than I am charging and most don't even have living rooms, rents seem to have gone up considerably over the past year, which I expect is attracting new landlords now. I have good tenants and don't plan to put up rents. Demand seems to be very good from buyers and renters, at least where I am, seems to be the same where you are also.

Comment

Manchester is a big place. Where abouts is your terrace?

Comment

I bet I can guess why the poor people in Hong Kong are trying to buy UK property.

Comment

I own property in North Reddish (not far from Manchester), so I'm always checking out what's selling/renting in the area. Houses are renting in a matter of days, and are sometimes selling just as quickly. I spoke to a friend who told me that houses for sale in South Reddish are going to sealed bids, the demand is that strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Logical.Lean View Post
            Manchester is a big place. Where abouts is your terrace?
            Ethid Stadium overlooking City's training complex

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
              I bet I can guess why the poor people in Hong Kong are trying to buy UK property.
              Manchester has a big Chinatown.

Comment

I advertised a property in the south east during lockdown and had 47 enquiries. It rented very quickly.

Comment

I have just accepted an offer on my property in Beeston, Nottingham. The market here is moving really fast too, with lots of viewings and several offers.

If you remember, before coronavirus the market was really strong and it seems to have picked up where it left off.

So much for all the doom-mongers predicting a crash!

Comment

Glad that worked out for you. A bad recession coming followed by Brexit - the impact on housing will be felt over the next year as people lose their jobs and their homes.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
                      Glad that worked out for you. A bad recession coming followed by Brexit - the impact on housing will be felt over the next year as people lose their jobs and their homes.
                      I'm not convinced a bad recession is coming, possibly a short one or a shallow one. I also doubt the housing market would be affected too badly anyway.

OP mentioned buyers from Hong Kong. Given the current situation there I could imagine many people wanting to find a new home for their invested money, and the UK property market is always a popular place for that. The UK Government has also offered sanctuary to people from HK - that would create extra demand on UK housing.

Hong Kong has the second highest number of millionaires per head of population in the world (second only to Switzerland). That's a lot of properties they could possibly buy to rent out.

On the home front, there's probably a lot of strained relationships being taken to breaking point after being cooped up together in lockdown, resulting in couples now needing two properties, rather than one.

I reckon both rents and property prices could rise despite any possible recession. The housing market is largely governed by supply & demand, whatever the 'weather'.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
                        With the amount of money being pumped into the economy the recession will not hit everyone hard. I think it will be a very unequal picture, with some people hardly affected and a lot of hospitality workers etc hit hard. But none of that changes the fact that there are not enough houses for sale or to rent.

After the 2008 financial crash the money pumped into the economy supported a 10 yr bull market - my money's on the same again.

Comment

Well still going strong with offers above my expectation 2 front runners are both cash buyers similar amount 1 from HK who's provided funds proof,identity docs & local solicitor to me etc & 1 from a big Manchester Housing Association dont know which way to jump & which one will be quickest completion.

Comment

Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
                            After the 2008 financial crash the money pumped into the economy supported a 10 yr bull market - my money's on the same again.
                            It took until 2018 for house prices to, broadly, recover to their 2008 level.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by feederking View Post
                              Well still going strong with offers above my expectation 2 front runners are both cash buyers similar amount 1 from HK who's provided funds proof,identity docs & local solicitor to me etc & 1 from a big Manchester Housing Association dont know which way to jump & which one will be quickest completion.
                              Don't do the housing association - legals will be slow.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Selling a flat with planning permission to build another floor
                                by smitchell
                                Hello everyone.

I have a flat that's worth £900k - £1m. I will shortly have planning permission to extend upwards (adding a floor). The new value is likely be about £1.5m, and less building and other costs of £250k, might net £250k profit.

My question is... I really don't...
                                25-09-2020, 07:14 AM
                              • Reply to Selling half of portfolio
                                by Logical.Lean
                                As others have said, take a long term view.

Power up excel, and for each property you have do some real sums. Best, worst case and most likely case. Really understand the amount of tax you will pay in every scenario.

Personally, I'd rather have a £160k 3 bed in L23 with...
                                24-09-2020, 22:53 PM
                              • Selling half of portfolio
                                by Marty115
                                Hi all,

I got into the market all at once between 2017-2018, paid a fair amount in stamp duty. I got into this as a long investment but looking into all the facts and figures and it just doesn't seem good enough. Stamp duty payments have pretty much cancelled out my appreciation. I get...
                                09-09-2020, 21:44 PM
                              • Reply to Is it a good time to buy a buy to let?
                                by gnvqsos
                                You are right about the £8000-just an approx.All your reasoning relies on guesswork and you could be right.The fall in prices in my view wll be 5pc,but there will be a fall in transactions.You have to think long-term with houses.I will be looking to buy some properties under £100,000,which will rent...
                                24-09-2020, 19:32 PM
                              • Is it a good time to buy a buy to let?
                                by Irisirene
                                Hi, I am new to the btl. What does everyone think about a buy to let on the current economic situation?

We have 75% equity in our property and we are thinking about doing a buy to let, the uncertainty in the current market does worry us but it seems like a waste if we don’t make use...
                                23-09-2020, 19:54 PM
                                by BTL investor
                                This stamp duty holiday has been introduced at the wrong time as well, it should’ve been introduced as an incentive to help bring us out of the impending recession not introduced before the recession has started to manifest itself. It will probably end up either being extended or re-introduced at...
                                24-09-2020, 19:29 PM
                                by BTL investor
                                What’s the £8,000 tax figure that you quote is payable by delaying? Do you mean the stamp duty that will have to be paid after the stamp duty holiday ends?
                                The stamp duty calculator I’m using tells me that an additional property bought today for £190,000 would incur a £5,700 stamp duty...
                                24-09-2020, 18:19 PM
                                by gnvqsos
                                Because the forecasts you make are speculative,and a delay in purchasing means a house costing say £190000 incurs at least £8000 tax,reducing the illustrated loss....
                                24-09-2020, 17:48 PM
                                by BTL investor
                                Prices are predicted to drop by up to 14% in 2021, personally I think it’ll take a bit longer than that for prices to bottom out because the government are really dragging out this Coronavirus and continuing to prop up the economy. Could be more or less than 14% but even if we go with a conservative...
                                24-09-2020, 17:39 PM
                              • Reply to Selling half of portfolio
                                by Chester Perry
                                The very place I am at. Currently starting a top to bottom refurb of trashed empty property Ive just got back and undecided whether to sell, re let or just leave empty on completion....
                                24-09-2020, 13:42 PM
                              Working...
                              X