Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New build student apartments

I am looking at getting my first BTL.

I see quite a few student apartments that are new builds up north, they seem to be fairly cheap i.e 50-60k starting prices, with apparently 8% yield guaranteed for 3 years?, quite a lot of websites suggest how these are a "good investment" but at the end of the day, they are trying to sell you them. Because I live in Essex, it isn't something I would be able to manage or even go and visit often, so would be relying on a management company for 99% of the time.

Basically are these a good investment for a first BTL, or am I better of getting something residential at potentially 3x the value but somewhere localish? I'm concerned that student flats are more likely to get trashed and have a lot more wear and tear and therefore need a lot more maintenance?

I would be wary about buying something at the other end of the country and I got ourmt of ghe student market a few years ago as there was too much management for the returns. Most student landlords at the moment probably wish they had done the same.

Comment

This market is ideally targeted at those who have the requisite amount of money to buy outright as there is no appetite amongst lenders for lending on such units. Take into account Service Charges / Ground Rents maintainance cost and management fees on student turnover will make the economics somewhat challenging with restricted potential for capital growth.
      Keep your money for good quality two/three bed properties which have appeal to both homeowners as well as good family lettable units.

Comment

And when politicians start realising (as they will do) that only 10% of the population should be getting decent degrees, instead of 75% getting nonsense degrees -- and when the Chinese students stop arriving -- the whole student lettings market will be radically changed.

Comment

Originally posted by dan223 View Post
          with apparently 8% yield guaranteed for 3 years?
          They wouldn't offer this if they thought the flats would sell readily without

Comment

Originally posted by loanarranger View Post
            This market is ideally targeted at those who have the requisite amount of money to buy outright as there is no appetite amongst lenders for lending on such units. Take into account Service Charges / Ground Rents maintainance cost and management fees on student turnover will make the economics somewhat challenging with restricted potential for capital growth.
            Keep your money for good quality two/three bed properties which have appeal to both homeowners as well as good family lettable units.
            Agree 100%

Quick search and I found some in Sheffield. Website specifically says cash purchase. If the lenders won't lend on it, there's a good reason.

Comment

I suspect they can't give them away at the moment.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys, I will stay clear of them then! For 50kish a cash purchase is possible, but even then it sounds like it is probably not the best idea.

Comment

dan223 , remember Fools and their money are soon parted. This is a type of investment which should be avoided just like Covid19

Comment

Originally posted by Beswick View Post

Agree 100%

Quick search and I found some in Sheffield. Website specifically says cash purchase. If the lenders won't lend on it, there's a good reason.
                    Sheffield is one of those places that is going to be particularly hard hit. They have catered heavily for the overseas market, and have built a mass of pokey nasty city apartments that families and more sophisticated students hate. For not much extra non-boozy students want to move to the leafy suburbs.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Anyone Buying At Present?
                      by amy131
                      I own a 4 bed property in Bristol. Cost £195k in 2016, now worth £230-240k, all rooms very good sizes, ex. LA. The house has two reception rooms so I use one as the fourth bedroom. My rental yield currently is 8% with all bedrooms rented based on purchase price which is now on the low side for the...
                      10-08-2020, 23:14 PM
                    • Anyone Buying At Present?
                      by woodbine66
                      Wondering if BTL investors are buying at the moment, taking into account property prices and uncertainty over Corona, jobs and the economy? Property prices still seem to be holding up near me and lots still selling. Anyone care to predict what's going to happen to prices and demand in near future....
                      04-08-2020, 12:27 PM
                      by hech123
                      Look further North. You can much better yields and the market is only getting going there. Lots of interest and competition...
                      10-08-2020, 18:30 PM
                    • Reply to Mortgage News
                      by loanarranger
                      Gatehouse Bank have announced their withdrawal from accepting mortgage applications on New Build Flats citing an increased volume of application for both Homeownership but also BtL investors. I suspect that they like other lenders are taking cover for the present until certification of Fire Safety compliance...
                      10-08-2020, 09:41 AM
                    • Mortgage News
                      by loanarranger
                      The following article has appeared in one of the Mortgage Trade journals reporting on views expressed by the Association of Mortgage Intermediaries an influential trade body within the mortgage industry.

"Mortgage rates are likely to rise in the first quarter of 2016 as lenders look...
                      23-12-2015, 19:43 PM
                    • Reply to Mortgages - Buy 2 Let v. Vacation Rentals
                      by Halfbob
                      Interesting, thanks for that. It would very much be a "summer season" and other School Holiday type Vacation Property, so that wouldn't be disastrous. Other than the fact that if it's available to Let for less than 210 days per year you can't claim Mortgage Interest Tax Relief. But then...
                      09-08-2020, 18:53 PM
                    • Mortgages - Buy 2 Let v. Vacation Rentals
                      by Halfbob
                      On verge of organising a Buy to Let interest only mortgage at a pretty good rate but had a last minute rethink. May now do vacation Rentals in the property we're buying as the location lends itself to that and there's the Tax Advantage of Mortgage Interest being an allowable deduction from the Taxable...
                      08-08-2020, 12:21 PM
                      by doobrey
                      Yields seem fairly horrendous. £850 pcm on a £220k property is 4.6% gross with no voids.

Rental return is low, compliance requirements and risk are high.

I don't see much of a case for buying unless you can do something clever or find something genuinely underpriced.
                      09-08-2020, 16:05 PM
                      by Section20z
                      Don't forget that London already restricts holiday letting to 90 days a year (without planning consent) and it is likely other areas will follow with similar restrictions.
                      09-08-2020, 14:45 PM
                      by loanarranger
                      Thanks for replying in such a professional manner.

If the short term lender indicates limited or zero demand having paid valuation and possibly non refundable applications fees, then your broker will need to research the BtL market and source a conventional lending option.
                      Please...
                      09-08-2020, 12:20 PM
                    Working...
                    X