Government grant and 80% wages being paid due to Corona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Government grant and 80% wages being paid due to Corona

I know Boris and co said this days ago but my accountant seems to think its all lies?

He is telling all his clients that eventually all employers will have to pay back the 80% over time and the grant eventually anyone who takes it will have to pay it back and that my wife doesn't qualify because she has money in the bank?

I don't know how he thinks he knows all this because when I spoke to HMRC on Tues they said now I registered my wifes business she will be given the details along with everyone else in 2-3 weeks time.

Its not like business is slow or an expected problem cropped up. The whole planet is effected so if she can't open her business for 3 months or even if she could punters are not allowed to her place of business. Same for me i'm off work as I work in retail it's not like the work wasn't there because it was and I can't see how my wife, boss and other business can pay this money back if we can't open and earn money?

I just thought long term in a few years time taxes would go up or by the time I hit pension age in 20 years the state pension would be worthless so worry about it then.

Does my accountant know something I don't? What does everyone else think?

Since the crisis hit I knew deep down we would have to raid our savings and maybe have to pay it into her business if needs must but not everyone is that lucky.

I think I'd change your accountant.
    Whatever else they are, they're extremely unsupportive.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• The beginning
      by JoshyT
      How will landlords on here react to houseprice declines and renters with lower disposable incomes?

What strategies do you have in place?

Are there any landlords to be waiting to pick up some bargains in the short to medium term?

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/m...
      01-06-2020, 12:12 PM
    • Reply to The beginning
      by jpkeates
      Some people are always forced to sell (the three D's, death, debt and divorce are traditional estate agent's friends).
      But I think most people simply won't do anything - buy or sell
      There's been a plague, people are worried about a recession (and the future of their jobs) and we hard Brexit...
      02-06-2020, 16:32 PM
    • Reply to The beginning
      by Kape65
      Unfortunately for the housing market it often talks itself into a slide. Buyers who may be already wary are going to consider delaying their purchase now in case of a drop, hoping to bag a bargain. Anybody that HAS to sell may well be forced into accepting lower prices which then re-sets ceiling prices....
      02-06-2020, 15:41 PM
    • Reply to The beginning
      by hech123
      Wow I am amazed people are forecasting massive falls in house prices. I actually had to read the article to believe it. It just goes to show how thick most of these so called experts are. I mean you have to be some kind of thick to believe that there is going to be some kind of huge sell off when...
      02-06-2020, 14:18 PM
    • Reply to The beginning
      by doobrey
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52847319...
      02-06-2020, 07:59 AM
    • Reply to Buying a refurb project as a BTL
      by leasee123
      Thanks a lot for the useful comments and sorry it took a bit of time to get back to you on this. I did view the house and indeed it required a full refurb. All the carpets were removed, kitchen gutted out except for the sink and some dated units and bathroom that had the sink, toilet and bath but...
      01-06-2020, 14:54 PM
    • Buying a refurb project as a BTL
      by leasee123
      Quick question - is it possible to buy a house that needs a complete refurb (but nothing structural or anything major) on a buy to let mortgage? Looking at a house that requires a full refurb to let out. Plan is to refurb straight away after completion and then let out. I know you can do this via...
      24-05-2020, 20:36 PM
    • Reply to The beginning
      by jpkeates
      Houseprices only matter when someone is buying, selling or borrowing money on a property.

I don't expect people to have lower disposable incomes.
      In a recession people tend to either have the same income or have a huge change in living standards.
      I'd expect the demand for rental...
      01-06-2020, 13:11 PM
    • Reply to The beginning
      by BTL investor
      It’ll effect different people in different ways, Landlords that are highly leveraged may struggle just like homeowners may struggle if they work in a sector that has been put on hold due to lockdown.
      Some Landlords will be hoping to pick up a bargain as will some first time buyers with deposits...
      01-06-2020, 12:28 PM
    • Is it worth me getting a mortgage? And would I get the tax benefit in this scenario?
      by mlod42
      I am looking to buy my first home to live in, and I have over £200,000 in savings. I am considering a house which costs about £200,000. I could buy it outright, however my view has been that it would make sense to get a mortgage for as much as I can and then use the rest of my savings as deposits...
      28-05-2020, 11:08 AM
    Working...
    X