Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Risk of bridge lender pulling out after exchange

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a property in auction.

What does a bridge lender require to give an agreement in principle? Then from here if I was to win the auction, what conditions need to be met to drawdown? Is the offer conditional on the lenders valuation/legal/structural due diligence also? If this is the case is there not a big risk I could get agreement in principle bid on idea the funds are there and something come out post exchange and the bridger pulls out and I lose my deposit?

What is the difference in the due diligence a bridger undertakes and a normal lender? Can they just pull out after exchange after undertaking further due diligence or do they do most of it before giving agreement in principle? Eg following exchange if their lawyers dont like a clause in the lease or if the valuer picks up something like (knotweed etc?) is there not a risk they can just pull out? To me this is quite a big risk, surely I am missing something? Otherwise you are effectively held at whim of the bridger and there is lots of uncertainty with 10% deposit at risk

An enquiry form has to be submitted to the lender who in turn will provide Indicative Terms which includes the terms of the facility , whether it is aRolled up Interest or Monthly Serviced Loan, the fees which will fall due including the valuation costs.

Once you have had your bid accepted the clock starts ticking and you would then need to pay the valuation fee and the full application submitted. The lender will then issues a formal offer and instruct its solicitor to act. This will allow sufficient time to enable the transaction to complete before the deadline. Clearly the only obstacle will be the amount of money being provided if the valuer were to down value remembering that the normal basis for a Bridge Facility is for a 90 day valuation to be provided which can be lower than the Open Market Valuation.

Comment

I dont see the valuation as the only obstacle.

What happends if the bridge lenders solicitors pull out any punitive clauses in the lease they are not happy with or the surveyor finds eg japanese knotweed, mold, structural issues (anything really).

What I am trying to ask: is there is a chance the lender can pull out following their full due diligence and inspections. I understand the facility amount may reduce due to valuation but my concern is around lender completely pulling out and what suretys are there?

The lender may say yes upon review of the legal pack but how can I know their lawyers etc wont request they pull out due to findings etc?

Am i then to take this is the risk of auctions?

Comment

It is essential that you obtain the legal pack which is available upon request and before the auction and inspected .
        The valuer would identify situations like Knotweed and if so then clearly you wouldn’t proceed until the matter was investigated.
        From my experience any issues which can ultimately be overcome can be dealt initially by certain indemnities thereby allowing funds to be released to complete. I would also say that if you are prepared to pay the associated fees, the application can be submitted and processed before the auction and allow the solicitors to examine the legal pack.
        Buying at auction can be stressful but equally rewarding but if you are a cautious person then stay clear and buy through the normal channels.
        Your broker if he is experienced in such matters can handle much of the complexities associated with auction purchases.

Comment

every proposed loan advance is subject to formal contract. A prospective lender can pull out at any time up to the point of advance; or for that matter, in theory subsequently. All commercial loans can, after all, be called in although there would normally have to be a breach. You are dealing with secondary/tertiary lenders

Comment

Absolutely correct, until the money is released nothing can be guaranteed but a decision not to proceed has to be based on a relevant and perhaps undisclosed fact either on the property or indeed the applicant.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Mortgage News
              by loanarranger
              The market continues to change and not for the better judging from the following lender announcements.

Lenders who have paused accepting new mortgage applications:
              • Clydesdale Bank are not currently accepting new Purchase applications on either Residential or Buy to Let
              • Virgin Money
              06-04-2020, 20:38 PM
            • Mortgage News
              by loanarranger
              The following article has appeared in one of the Mortgage Trade journals reporting on views expressed by the Association of Mortgage Intermediaries an influential trade body within the mortgage industry.

"Mortgage rates are likely to rise in the first quarter of 2016 as lenders look...
              23-12-2015, 19:43 PM
            • Reply to Mortgage News
              by loanarranger
              HSBC have announced a system of restricting the daily acceptance of new mortgage applications and for the present have stopped the acceptance of maximum LtV applications ( 95%)
              06-04-2020, 18:25 PM
            • Reply to Landlord - Tenant financial hardship due to coronavirus
              by The Secret Landlord
              Have your tenants lost their job? It is not clear why they will be in hardship? Have they done a budget? Gone through all outgoings?

It's important for people to really get a handle on their finances and understand what the real issues are right now.
              06-04-2020, 07:07 AM
            • Landlord - Tenant financial hardship due to coronavirus
              by Matthew_Wilde
              I am really struggling to get any advice so wondered if anyone on here could point me in the correct direction, please?

I have one rental property which has a Barclays buy to let mortgage. The tenants have been in the house since I first let it - over 5 years. They have always paid on time...
              25-03-2020, 14:21 PM
            • Reply to Mortgage News
              by loanarranger
              Here is an extract from a briefing note on amended lending criteria from Nat West and Nationwide for those affected in employment terms ( Furloughed) and who are applying for a mortgage.

Nationwide and NatWest have outlined their affordability criteria for people impacted by the Covid-19...
              03-04-2020, 12:18 PM
            • Reply to Mortgage News
              by loanarranger
              Bluestone Mortgages , a relative new comer to the niche end of lending via the Intermediary channels have this morning withdrawn from accepting any new mortgage applications.

Any existing applications which are either in the course of being processed or pending completion will proceed to...
              03-04-2020, 10:04 AM
            • Bank of England rate drop?
              by Diversity
              Is the BOE going to drop interest rates from 0.25 to 0.1 ? And are all UK banks mandated / legislated to pass onto the drop / savings to mortgage customers?

Is there any difference in the way they are treating home owner vs rental mortgages?
              19-03-2020, 09:46 AM
            • Reply to Bank of England rate drop?
              by loanarranger
              I think that for the next few months , attention should be made regarding what products are indeed available for specific loan to Values irrespective of whether it is a residential mortgage or BtL.
              As I have posted in recent days , lenders have become cautious on the loan to Values , the exclusion...
              03-04-2020, 09:56 AM
            • Reply to Bank of England rate drop?
              by bilbobagg
              You can argue that it's 'technically' negative already if you look at the inflation rate vs the interest rate.
              Bearing in mind that inflation rates are heavily massaged in order to exert downward pressure on them so we don't get too annoyed and start burning things....
              03-04-2020, 08:32 AM
            Working...
            X