How do you assess BTL opportunities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you assess BTL opportunities?

Hi, I’m starting my BTL journey and want to understand how everyone goes about assessing multiple BTL opportunities.

Some people seem to work on a 7%+ gross yield basis, while others drill down into net ROI which gets pretty complex when comparing lots of properties.

What’s the best approach? How do you assess your investments?

Thanks folks

You need to look beyond your nose at the wider political and legislative landscape.

Hardly anything except high risk student lets gets a 7% yield (unless you are calculating that using some stupid method like rent vs loan value).

The way to assess is whether (after taking all risks and the amount of your labour into account, and capital losses or gains) you can beat a building society savings deposit account or a stockmarket mixed fund. Doing that in the real world, in 2020 (when properly calculated) is not as easy as you might think.

You might be more highly leveraged though - but that is about risk and magnification of risk (or potential gains) only - nothing to do with whether the investment is a good one (albeit magnified risk can be bad).

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
      The way to asses is whether (after taking all risks and the amount of your labour into account, and capital losses or gains) you can beat a building society savings deposit account or a stockmarket mixed fund. Doing that in the real world, in 2020 (when properly calculated) is not as easy as you might think.
      Or a personal pension (tax free) or buying your own home / pay down your own mortgage.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Mortgage News
        by loanarranger
        The following article has appeared in one of the Mortgage Trade journals reporting on views expressed by the Association of Mortgage Intermediaries an influential trade body within the mortgage industry.

"Mortgage rates are likely to rise in the first quarter of 2016 as lenders look...
        23-12-2015, 19:43 PM
      • Reply to Mortgage News
        by loanarranger
        Updated correction re The Mortgage Lender
        This lender has announced the withdrawal of the 80% LtV across its mortgage range limiting to 75%, additionally they have announced an increase of 0.3% across its entire mortgage product range. Before anyone questions the rationale of rates increasing...
        07-04-2020, 21:24 PM
      • Reply to Mortgage News
        by loanarranger
        Here are the following changes announced today , in the main they relate to residential home loans, the criteria indicated by HSBC for those persons furloughed is being replicated by some other lenders so if remortgaging or purchasing , I would advocate speaking with your broker or trying to called...
        07-04-2020, 20:41 PM
      • Reply to Mortgage News
        by loanarranger
        The market continues to change and not for the better judging from the following lender announcements.

Lenders who have paused accepting new mortgage applications:
        • Clydesdale Bank are not currently accepting new Purchase applications on either Residential or Buy to Let
        • Virgin Money
        06-04-2020, 20:38 PM
      • Reply to Mortgage News
        by loanarranger
        HSBC have announced a system of restricting the daily acceptance of new mortgage applications and for the present have stopped the acceptance of maximum LtV applications ( 95%)
        06-04-2020, 18:25 PM
      • Reply to Landlord - Tenant financial hardship due to coronavirus
        by The Secret Landlord
        Have your tenants lost their job? It is not clear why they will be in hardship? Have they done a budget? Gone through all outgoings?

It's important for people to really get a handle on their finances and understand what the real issues are right now.
        06-04-2020, 07:07 AM
      • Landlord - Tenant financial hardship due to coronavirus
        by Matthew_Wilde
        I am really struggling to get any advice so wondered if anyone on here could point me in the correct direction, please?

I have one rental property which has a Barclays buy to let mortgage. The tenants have been in the house since I first let it - over 5 years. They have always paid on time...
        25-03-2020, 14:21 PM
      • Reply to Mortgage News
        by loanarranger
        Here is an extract from a briefing note on amended lending criteria from Nat West and Nationwide for those affected in employment terms ( Furloughed) and who are applying for a mortgage.

Nationwide and NatWest have outlined their affordability criteria for people impacted by the Covid-19...
        03-04-2020, 12:18 PM
      • Reply to Mortgage News
        by loanarranger
        Bluestone Mortgages , a relative new comer to the niche end of lending via the Intermediary channels have this morning withdrawn from accepting any new mortgage applications.

Any existing applications which are either in the course of being processed or pending completion will proceed to...
        03-04-2020, 10:04 AM
      • Reply to Bank of England rate drop?
        by loanarranger
        I think that for the next few months , attention should be made regarding what products are indeed available for specific loan to Values irrespective of whether it is a residential mortgage or BtL.
        As I have posted in recent days , lenders have become cautious on the loan to Values , the exclusion...
        03-04-2020, 09:56 AM
      Working...
      X