Doncaster property training debt soldier killed himself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doncaster property training debt soldier killed himself

I hope the Forum moderator will permit me to mention the following and whilst it is an extreme example , I believe it offers a Saluatory lesson to anyone considering responding to the inducements offered by so called property educators .

The article has appeared in the Money section on line of the BBC and is a very sad story of someone who genuinely believed that he could gain a better life for himself and family after he left the army by making lots of money by investing in property but the promises seem not to have materialised despite paying a 5 figure sum for signing up to the course.

As we all know property is not a guaranteed money maker and is indeed a long term investment but with the number of people seeing such investment as a get rich quick investment the risks tend to be quickly forgotten.

If the moderator believes this posting not to be appropriate I fully understand if it is deleted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-51046596

Comment

Thanks Boletus for providing the actual link

Comment

Coming on the back of my posting and For those Forum posters who haven’t seen the tweet from Landlordzone this morning , there is a program on BBC 1 this evening at 7:30 which focuses on one particular Educator who Charges very high fees with the usual guarantees , a definite MUST to view given my experiences with such operations and the problems which arise when clients blindly go into such arrangements believing that they will become rich without any trouble.

Comment

Having seen the program it is disappointing give the manner of the presentation and “ Interview” that people are indeed seduced into parting with such large amounts; having attended several different presentations over recent years on behalf of clients the only comments I can make is that they all boil down to the same message “ Believe me I can make you Rich by following what I teach” , reality however is so very different ,
          I feel very saddened that someone with so much to live for apparently Gave his life in return for spending £15000 to find out the so called secrets of property investment which failed to materialise in any shape or form.
          R.I.P

Comment

I haven't seen the program, so I don't have many details beyond the original story.

The fundamental question that no one seems to ask themselves is why on earth is the company offering the "training" telling me all this?

They've found a way of generating huge sums of money for little to no investment and, instead of keeping quiet about it and becoming vastly rich, they've decided to create a whole shedload of competition for themselves.

It only makes sense if you can make more money from seminars than you can from property investing (or you're selling off-plan property).
            Which undercuts the message somewhat.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hi JP , the program can be found on BBC IPlayer ,it was a crowd thumping display promulgated by the guy who owned the business supported by a multitude of people whipping up a frenzy from the audience, so clearly the mob mentality was intended to say if you don’t join in your aren't interested in making money, very sickening but very reminiscent of other well marketed Free Seminars,all designed to get you to sign up for so called “Master Classes”

Comment

Originally posted by loanarranger View Post
                Hi JP , the program can be found on BBC IPlayer
                Thanks, I'll try and remember next time I'm "streaming" like a young person 8-)
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                  Thanks, I'll try and remember next time I'm "streaming" like a young person 8-)
                  The programme is Inside Out London, available on iPlayer for the next 28 days: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...ondon-20012020

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• S.21 and private landlords
                    by Kryten
                    After a gap of 12 months or so after selling a property that was rented out for 15 years we are thinking of buying another property purely as a BTL. Should we be, or is anybody else concerned about the government's threat to remove or meddle with S.21. We've had no trouble with any of the tenants in...
                    25-02-2020, 17:43 PM
                  • Risk of bridge lender pulling out after exchange
                    by propertyboy
                    Hi all,

I am looking to buy a property in auction.

What does a bridge lender require to give an agreement in principle? Then from here if I was to win the auction, what conditions need to be met to drawdown? Is the offer conditional on the lenders valuation/legal/structural...
                    22-02-2020, 23:04 PM
                  • Reply to Risk of bridge lender pulling out after exchange
                    by loanarranger
                    Absolutely correct, until the money is released nothing can be guaranteed but a decision not to proceed has to be based on a relevant and perhaps undisclosed fact either on the property or indeed the applicant.
                    25-02-2020, 10:37 AM
                    by ATC
                    every proposed loan advance is subject to formal contract. A prospective lender can pull out at any time up to the point of advance; or for that matter, in theory subsequently. All commercial loans can, after all, be called in although there would normally have to be a breach. You are dealing with...
                    24-02-2020, 18:59 PM
                    by loanarranger
                    It is essential that you obtain the legal pack which is available upon request and before the auction and inspected .
                    The valuer would identify situations like Knotweed and if so then clearly you wouldn’t proceed until the matter was investigated.
                    From my experience any issues which can...
                    23-02-2020, 19:46 PM
                    by propertyboy
                    I dont see the valuation as the only obstacle.

What happends if the bridge lenders solicitors pull out any punitive clauses in the lease they are not happy with or the surveyor finds eg japanese knotweed, mold, structural issues (anything really).

What I am trying to ask: is...
                    23-02-2020, 18:56 PM
                  • Transfer of equity
                    by jackboy
                    Hello, I've been trying to sort out my structure for a while and keep hitting dead ends and so i thought i would see if anybody on here has any suggestions. I have a number of properties held jointly with my brother and a number held in a limited company. I want to transfer the personally held properties...
                    19-02-2020, 12:57 PM
                  • Reply to Transfer of equity
                    by jackboy
                    AndrewDod,

Thanks for your reply. I think you are right about the gifting and CGT but in this instance this is unavoidable and manageable. My brother owns a share of multiple properties held within our business and is changing these for one full property which we will then pay CGT on when...
                    23-02-2020, 14:30 PM
                    by loanarranger
                    An enquiry form has to be submitted to the lender who in turn will provide Indicative Terms which includes the terms of the facility , whether it is aRolled up Interest or Monthly Serviced Loan, the fees which will fall due including the valuation costs.

Once you have had your bid accepted...
                    23-02-2020, 09:33 AM
                  • Mortgage query for house purchase that isn't yet an HMO?!
                    by Clulass
                    Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a terraced house which isn't currently an HMO, but I'd like to convert it to an HMO and apply for a licence from the local council (which will be required due to Article 4).

No guarantee that licence will be granted (subj to a consideration on if...
                    14-02-2020, 22:10 PM
                  Working...
                  X