Extend currently let large 3 bed to add a 1 bed unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extend currently let large 3 bed to add a 1 bed unit

Has anyone any experience of this? I'm trying to think of ways to maximise income from this property. It is a large 3 bed semi with a side extension and a garage. Presently the side extension is not developed enough to be any use other than for a place to dry clothes and the garage is too thin to fit a modern car.

I am thinking of extending a little more and renovating the existing side extension and garage into a 1 bed flat.
    This would be 4 rooms:
    Entrance/kitchen/bathroom 2.5mx5m (not sure how i would split this up presently)
    Bedroom: 2.5mx5m
    Living room: 3.5x5m.

This is a total of 42m2 which is slightly smaller than the uk average for a 1 bed house (46m2).

I think the conversion would likely cost about £15k (some parts done by me, some by trades). Likely income in the area is around 500/month. The house as a whole gets 800/month now.

I would expect the building cost for a flat with 42m2 floor area = 500 sq ft at £100 /sq ft = £50,000.

Your estimate £15K seems to be too low.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to BTL mortgage while currently living at property
      by Paddysreturn
      Thank you very much for the detailed response. I certainly wouldn’t want to defraud the bank, just to move out as soon as the mortgage is approved.

If I request consent to let from my current provider I will still be in the same situation in that I can’t move out/rent it out until...
      22-01-2021, 23:47 PM
    • BTL mortgage while currently living at property
      by Paddysreturn
      Hi,

I would like to rent out my home and move away from london to rent another property. Can I obtain a BTL mortgage while still living in my own property and what is the normal period of grace allowed to move out once obtaining the mortgage?

Obviously I could move out before...
      22-01-2021, 23:09 PM
    • Reply to BTL mortgage while currently living at property
      by loanarranger
      If yourproperty is in Mortgage and you genuinely need to move away from yourpresent base , firstly contact your lender and seek a Consent to Let, this if granted can be allowed for 12 months or indeed open ended, but if granted you will need an AST and for your Insurers to be notified of the situation....
      22-01-2021, 23:22 PM
    • Mortgage News
      by loanarranger
      The following article has appeared in one of the Mortgage Trade journals reporting on views expressed by the Association of Mortgage Intermediaries an influential trade body within the mortgage industry.

"Mortgage rates are likely to rise in the first quarter of 2016 as lenders look...
      23-12-2015, 19:43 PM
    • Reply to Mortgage News
      by loanarranger
      You may indeed be correct , but it is evident that arrears are impacted by a failure to deal with individual unsecured debts which have proliferated due to a “ low interest rate “ environment, these are additionally compounded by PCP contracts on vehicles which in the main are standing idle because...
      22-01-2021, 23:14 PM
    • Reply to Mortgage News
      by Beswick
      I'm not convinced. I think these experts are working on a worst case scenario.

Many people have saved money during the pandemic. 80% salary on furlough, after tax at 20% (for some it will be 40%) and NI at 11% works out at a reduction in take home pay of around 14%. Those people won't...
      22-01-2021, 06:49 AM
    • Reply to Mortgage News
      by loanarranger
      Lenders are expecting an increase in mortgage payment defaults during 2021

High street banks are expecting more mortgage payment defaults at the start of this year, as demand is set to fall for home purchase lending.

The end of mortgage payment holidays, as the economic impact...
      21-01-2021, 16:19 PM
    • Buy a investment property for my niece
      by dip
      Hi,

Is it possible to buy a Buy To Let property for my niece?

My situation - I am a UK citizen and reside in the UK and pay all my taxes in the UK. I want to buy a property for my niece but she is a non-resident in the UK. We do not require to take a mortgage as I would be...
      10-01-2021, 17:33 PM
    • Reply to Mortgage News
      by loanarranger
      Nationwide are due to increase the maximum mortgage term to 40 years for lending at 90% LtV.
      With affordability under pressure for 1st time buyers the extension to 40 years will give positive assistance.
      20-01-2021, 23:11 PM
    • Affordability checks and buying 4th property
      by Landlord Dave
      Hi All

Two questions:

Affordability Checks (Remortgage)
      When remortgaging BTLs, to what extent do savings contribute to a positive outcome with affordability checks, or do lenders not factor them in at all? Say you're in full-time secure employment, have a residential...
      18-01-2021, 01:43 AM
    Working...
    X