Extend currently let large 3 bed to add a 1 bed unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extend currently let large 3 bed to add a 1 bed unit

Has anyone any experience of this? I'm trying to think of ways to maximise income from this property. It is a large 3 bed semi with a side extension and a garage. Presently the side extension is not developed enough to be any use other than for a place to dry clothes and the garage is too thin to fit a modern car.

I am thinking of extending a little more and renovating the existing side extension and garage into a 1 bed flat.
    This would be 4 rooms:
    Entrance/kitchen/bathroom 2.5mx5m (not sure how i would split this up presently)
    Bedroom: 2.5mx5m
    Living room: 3.5x5m.

This is a total of 42m2 which is slightly smaller than the uk average for a 1 bed house (46m2).

I think the conversion would likely cost about £15k (some parts done by me, some by trades). Likely income in the area is around 500/month. The house as a whole gets 800/month now.

I would expect the building cost for a flat with 42m2 floor area = 500 sq ft at £100 /sq ft = £50,000.

Your estimate £15K seems to be too low.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Ltd Company BTL Mortgage Rates vs, Personal BTL Mortgage Rates
      by Jammy99
      Hi all, so I'm weighing up whether to go down the Ltd Company BTL route vs. the Personal BTL route. However, I'm struggling to find descent mortgage interest rates. I'm aware that personal BTL interest rates are lower eg 2.3% vs Ltd company at 4.71%. So, my question is what is the best Company BTL interest...
      16-02-2020, 19:19 PM
    • Reply to Ltd Company BTL Mortgage Rates vs, Personal BTL Mortgage Rates
      by loanarranger
      No problems, your question had validity and justified every assistance. In terms of updated rates as and when you need them just let us know.
      Important to note that not all lenders offer loyalty rates , I know for a fact that as many of the relative newbies to this sector have warranty agreements...
      19-02-2020, 21:58 PM
      by Jammy99
      Taking on-board your replies jpkeates and loanarranger.

My going in point was to compare overall mortgage costs between Company and Personal BTL mortgages (not just going for the lowest rate). I was just taken back a bit by the seemingly significant difference and wanted to check if the...
      19-02-2020, 21:34 PM
    • Transfer of equity
      by jackboy
      Hello, I've been trying to sort out my structure for a while and keep hitting dead ends and so i thought i would see if anybody on here has any suggestions. I have a number of properties held jointly with my brother and a number held in a limited company. I want to transfer the personally held properties...
      19-02-2020, 12:57 PM
    • Reply to Transfer of equity
      by loanarranger
      I can confirm that from a lenders point of view , they will not allow the current mortgage structure to be amended. To do what you wish then a new application would need to be made and underwritten accordingly and on what rates are presently available. If there are any ERC's in place you will have to...
      19-02-2020, 18:49 PM
      by jpkeates
      You're not talking about changing the beneficial owner, you're talking (as far as I can understand it) about changing the title on the properties.

But to answer the question asked, your mortgage terms and conditions almost certainly do stop you changing the beneficial ownership of your...
      19-02-2020, 18:26 PM
      by loanarranger
      I say this respectfully but you are making the mistake in believing that the lowest rate is the best , take account of the Mortgage Completion fee which using the 1.64% 5 year deal carries a Fee of £2500 , there are rates slightly higher than this but with either a zero fee or markedly reduced fee...
      19-02-2020, 15:10 PM
      by jpkeates
      You plan to never hit the reversionary rate, so you jump every 5 years (until that stops being an option because of changes in interest or law or something else unknown).

The mortgage cost is only one element to consider.
      Your personal tax relief on the mortgage lending is restricted...
      19-02-2020, 14:41 PM
      by AndrewDod
      You can't prevent CGT by transferring to a limited company (that is a CGT event),
      nor can you prevent CGT via barter or via gifting.

The CGT is payable by you (and brother) when you transfer, not by the company.

There is also the small issue of stamp duty given the mortgages....
      19-02-2020, 13:45 PM
      by Jammy99
      Hi loanarranger
      Thank you for your reply, yes it does help.

I’ve had another look at mortgage comparisons on-line :-

My scenario
      BTL house purchase £250k
      Borrow £125k over 22 years

For Company BTL
      2yr fixed 2.94% then 5.76% variable...
      19-02-2020, 13:44 PM
    Working...
    X