Extend currently let large 3 bed to add a 1 bed unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extend currently let large 3 bed to add a 1 bed unit

Has anyone any experience of this? I'm trying to think of ways to maximise income from this property. It is a large 3 bed semi with a side extension and a garage. Presently the side extension is not developed enough to be any use other than for a place to dry clothes and the garage is too thin to fit a modern car.

I am thinking of extending a little more and renovating the existing side extension and garage into a 1 bed flat.
    This would be 4 rooms:
    Entrance/kitchen/bathroom 2.5mx5m (not sure how i would split this up presently)
    Bedroom: 2.5mx5m
    Living room: 3.5x5m.

This is a total of 42m2 which is slightly smaller than the uk average for a 1 bed house (46m2).

I think the conversion would likely cost about £15k (some parts done by me, some by trades). Likely income in the area is around 500/month. The house as a whole gets 800/month now.

I would expect the building cost for a flat with 42m2 floor area = 500 sq ft at £100 /sq ft = £50,000.

Your estimate £15K seems to be too low.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• S.21 and private landlords
      by Kryten
      After a gap of 12 months or so after selling a property that was rented out for 15 years we are thinking of buying another property purely as a BTL. Should we be, or is anybody else concerned about the government's threat to remove or meddle with S.21. We've had no trouble with any of the tenants in...
      25-02-2020, 17:43 PM
    • Reply to Risk of bridge lender pulling out after exchange
      by loanarranger
      Absolutely correct, until the money is released nothing can be guaranteed but a decision not to proceed has to be based on a relevant and perhaps undisclosed fact either on the property or indeed the applicant.
      25-02-2020, 10:37 AM
    • Risk of bridge lender pulling out after exchange
      by propertyboy
      Hi all,

I am looking to buy a property in auction.

What does a bridge lender require to give an agreement in principle? Then from here if I was to win the auction, what conditions need to be met to drawdown? Is the offer conditional on the lenders valuation/legal/structural...
      22-02-2020, 23:04 PM
      by ATC
      every proposed loan advance is subject to formal contract. A prospective lender can pull out at any time up to the point of advance; or for that matter, in theory subsequently. All commercial loans can, after all, be called in although there would normally have to be a breach. You are dealing with...
      24-02-2020, 18:59 PM
      by loanarranger
      It is essential that you obtain the legal pack which is available upon request and before the auction and inspected .
      The valuer would identify situations like Knotweed and if so then clearly you wouldn’t proceed until the matter was investigated.
      From my experience any issues which can...
      23-02-2020, 19:46 PM
      by propertyboy
      I dont see the valuation as the only obstacle.

What happends if the bridge lenders solicitors pull out any punitive clauses in the lease they are not happy with or the surveyor finds eg japanese knotweed, mold, structural issues (anything really).

What I am trying to ask: is...
      23-02-2020, 18:56 PM
    • Transfer of equity
      by jackboy
      Hello, I've been trying to sort out my structure for a while and keep hitting dead ends and so i thought i would see if anybody on here has any suggestions. I have a number of properties held jointly with my brother and a number held in a limited company. I want to transfer the personally held properties...
      19-02-2020, 12:57 PM
    • Reply to Transfer of equity
      by jackboy
      AndrewDod,

Thanks for your reply. I think you are right about the gifting and CGT but in this instance this is unavoidable and manageable. My brother owns a share of multiple properties held within our business and is changing these for one full property which we will then pay CGT on when...
      23-02-2020, 14:30 PM
      by loanarranger
      An enquiry form has to be submitted to the lender who in turn will provide Indicative Terms which includes the terms of the facility , whether it is aRolled up Interest or Monthly Serviced Loan, the fees which will fall due including the valuation costs.

Once you have had your bid accepted...
      23-02-2020, 09:33 AM
    • Reply to Mortgage query for house purchase that isn't yet an HMO?!
      by bob369
      I am in a similar position, but am on bridging - which has been extended once, absolute deadline to move off is mid May - so 2 3/4 months away.

I am already an HMO landlord of many years, with one licensed HMO under my belt.

Property is being converted to two flats, for which...
      22-02-2020, 12:32 PM
    Working...
    X