Should i remortgage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should i remortgage?

About to complete on a btl remortgage (currently on a resi tracker with extra interest charged due to it being tenanted). Difference in interest rate of around 0.7% and fixed for 5 years plus i get to release quite a bit of equity.

Trouble is i am not so sure what to do with the funds (was thinking of buying more properties outside SE). And i am on a tracker currently and i think BOE likely to lower rates soon. So am thinking it may be worthwhile staying on a resi to keep my options open. I am worried about an impending recession and rates turning even lower or even negative. I got a 5 year fixed deal at 2% so would look like a right muppet if rates do go lower and we end up in a recession.

I got a whilst before the mortgage offer expires and I do not need the equity release. Gross yield is 3.6-3.8% (yes London).

What would you do?

A recession is only an issue if you plan to sell while it's happening.
    Anyone who bought a property before 2008 who still owns it hasn't suffered during that period of lower property prices.

I've remortgaged everything with a five year fixed deal - I can't see rates going down (although, as it happened if I'd waited until today I could have got a marginally cheaper deal) and I can see them going up over 5 years.

There's no point increasing your debt for no reason.
    Although holidays, cars, eating out and tech can be fun to buy.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• buying btl next to my other btl
      by Berlingogirl
      I wasn't going to invest in another BTL but one has come up for sale next to one I already have and it's at a reasonable price.

I have spoken to my mtg advisor who said there might be a problem buying a property next to one I already have because mtg lenders think I might knock through...
      18-09-2020, 11:54 AM
    • Reply to buying btl next to my other btl
      by jpkeates
      The DSS doesn't exist anymore, never paid housing benefits when it did exist and, unless it's defined in the agreement I'd suggest that there's no way it could be enforced.

As a term of art in the letting industry, I would say it means any recipient of benefits at all, working or not....
      22-09-2020, 17:09 PM
      by loanarranger
      I believe it would be a fair statement if you were to state that You are indeed very sorry but a Condition of my Mortgage Lender and NOT Myself precludes the property being let to anyone who receives Benefit. Can you explain even by PM who the lender is and what the USP is for possibly selecting them...
      22-09-2020, 16:17 PM
      by Berlingogirl
      My mtg arranger found several lenders who would be ok. However, one of them specifies 'no DSS'. I asked if they had a definition of DSS in the small print but it wasn't mentioned in the 'forbidden' tenants list.

If my mtg is approved I can't let to DSS. I would define DSS as somebody, of...
      22-09-2020, 16:11 PM
    • Reply to Yields going forward
      by gnvqsos
      You are probably right in all aspects.Although I agree with you

"Yield is the income returned on an investment, such as the interest received from holding a security. The yield is usually expressed as an annual percentage rate based on the investment's cost, current market value, or...
      21-09-2020, 18:00 PM
      by loanarranger
      Subsequent to my last posting I can confirm that there are a number of lenders whose criteria indicates a willingness to consider such application with a few making it a condition that the property will not be migrated into the adjoining property. Sorry for the delay but I had time on my hands whilst...
      21-09-2020, 14:49 PM
      by jpkeates
      There are lots of different ways of calculating "yield".
      Based on a return on capital employed, the yield would be 25%.

If you based it on today's value, let's say it's worth £400,000, you could argue that the yield is 2.5%, which is probably useful if you want to think...
      21-09-2020, 14:45 PM
    • Yields going forward
      by gnvqsos
      As letting becomes more difficult with new restrictions and removal of subsidies and tax breaks,will opportunist landlords exit,sell properties and precipitate higher rents and yields?what is a good yield in these circumstances
      17-09-2020, 07:45 AM
      by BTL investor
      Yes it’s 25% if you base the calculation on the historic purchase price, but you can make the yield appear even better if you purchased the property with a 25% deposit of £10,000 and base your calculation on that, now your yield becomes 100% 👍...
      21-09-2020, 14:28 PM
      by gnvqsos
      You can calculate yields in a variety of ways but an economist always compoares the yield against the next best alternative.To do this you have to imaginen the value of an asset is realised contemporaneously,not on original price.I bought a house 25 years ago and its price was £40000.The rent is £10,000...
      21-09-2020, 13:32 PM
    Working...
    X