Retrospective sub-division of a HMO and financing/refinancing strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retrospective sub-division of a HMO and financing/refinancing strategy

I have 5 self-contained bedsits and 1 x 1 bedroom self-contained flat all contained within a single HMO property. There is a shared kitchen and lounge and I have a HMO license and certificate of lawful development (change of use C3 to C4). My strategy is to wait 3 more years and get retrospective planning permission so that all of the units can be registered with the land registry as separate C3 dwellings. I then hope to sell the 1 bedroom flat whilst keeping the 5 bedsits as a multi-unit building. How would I approach this with the mortgage lender? I take it they will have to be informed. Would I then get them to re-value the remaining 5 units and hope that there would be enough equity in to keep the current deal or take a new deal. Any shared experience would be much welcomed as I am about to refinance this HMO property in it's entirety and want to avoid any future pitfalls or expensive ERC's.

The lender will want to be more than informed!
    Your mortgage lender won't allow the conversion and you'll have to pay the mortgage off before you make the changes.

You can't change the property acting as the lender's security.
    Hopefully, if there's current funding, it was taken out on the basis that the property was going to be an HMO.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

JPKeates is indeed correct, any structural changes to a property has to be approved by the lender and clearly what is being proposed will necessitate the current loan having to be repaid and once consent and implementation of the changes have been made then you would need to secure new financing on the basis of a possible multiunit Freehold Building.
      To engineer the first stage you will need to obtain short term financing to repay the current borrowings which depending on the LtV will carry an interest rate of between 0.7 & 1% per month with a standard lenders fee of circa 2%. There are of course other associated fees but for the present this is the route you would need to go down with your plans , very doable in principal but expensive in its undertaking.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. In order to facilitate this sub-division no structural changes or building work will be necessary. The units are currently acting as stand alone self-contained units. The retrospective certificate of lawfulness will legitimise this in 2022 at which point I would hope to sell the 1 x 1 bedroom flat. If I switch to another lender surely the same issue will arise?

Comment

Not requiring any structural changes doesn't really change anything.

Your lender has a large loan secured on a property, let's call it #1 the street.
          You're planning to split that property up into 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d, 1e and 1f, and then sell 1f.

Your lender won't be able to accommodate switching from a product secured on a single property to one secured on multiple properties, planning permission or not.
          Too many things need to happen at once, so they'll just say no.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If the mortgage lender has registered a charge against the freehold title for security of the loan, you will not be able to move any flats to separate leasehold title.

Comment

Can I make a slight correction Gordon to your last post and without wishing to sound clever;you are indeed correct regarding the possibility of the lender not allowing any flats to be extracted from the title but the possible exception is if the value of the Freehold plus the value of the remaining flats still affords sufficient equity against criteria then consent “might” consider the release. This is the situation when an investor intends to do a flat breakup .A long shot but just possible.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Notice served , rent arrears increasing
                by Propertygoesup
                I have had a solicitor serve s21 notice for me on a tenant who is now 3000 in arrears (over 3 months) . Notice asks tenant to leave early Feb.
                ​​​​​​I have asked solicitor whether I can offer tenant any kind of deal on waiving rent , which they said I can in writing.
                I'm here...
                16-12-2019, 10:15 AM
              • Reply to Equity release
                by loanarranger
                Equity Release loans do not extend to Buy to Let Mortgages given that such borrowings are deemed Non Regulated by the FCA Whilst Residential Homeowner Loans are Strictly Regulated and why only Brokers with the relevant qualifications are permitted to advise and arrange such facilities with lenders.
                12-12-2019, 04:41 AM
              • Equity release
                by Bricko7
                Hi everyone.

So I have a house with about 90,000 of equity in it, which is about 70% of the value. One option I have is to release the equity as it is rented out and I don't want to selll.

I am half way through a 2 year fixed term on the mortgage. So if I release equity will...
                10-12-2019, 04:22 AM
                by Gordon999
                If you are part way through an existing fixed term mortgage, you should want till nearer the end of the term before re-mortgaging.

Equity release is only for those who have no income to pay interest on a normal mortgage loan.The interest rate charged is higher because the lender has...
                11-12-2019, 02:54 AM
                by loanarranger
                Firstly are we discussing obtaining a further advance from the current lender , obtaining a second charge mortgage from a third party provider , I am a little confused; I am also assuming that the present loan is a Non Regulated mortgage as opposed to a Residential Homeowner Mortgage but where the property...
                10-12-2019, 07:59 AM
              • Reply to Borrowing against property to invest in shares etc
                by theartfullodger
                Indeed: I have experinced B0E interest rates hitting 17% (yes you read that right, under Thatcher...) and a price collapse during divorce divestment - both were ...err... painful: (the money position, not the divorce..)...
                09-12-2019, 15:52 PM
              • Borrowing against property to invest in shares etc
                by Clulass
                New here, just wondered what people in property thought about borrowing against a BTL property, to invest in shares (either plcs or start ups) - so relatively risky but big growth potential.

Is it a totally crazy idea, or perhaps not, if you can afford the interest payments, and you accept...
                17-10-2019, 08:40 AM
              • Reply to Borrowing against property to invest in shares etc
                by doobrey
                Depends on circumstances, I guess. I was talking to brokers about extracting equity from my property for investment and I was being told no because it would be viewed as a good money-laundering strategy (i.e. buy for cash -> remortgage) and therefore they would be on the wrong side of AML rules....
                09-12-2019, 15:09 PM
              • Reply to Retrospective sub-division of a HMO and financing/refinancing strategy
                by loanarranger
                Can I make a slight correction Gordon to your last post and without wishing to sound clever;you are indeed correct regarding the possibility of the lender not allowing any flats to be extracted from the title but the possible exception is if the value of the Freehold plus the value of the remaining...
                07-12-2019, 14:13 PM
              • Retrospective sub-division of a HMO and financing/refinancing strategy
                by GaryE
                I have 5 self-contained bedsits and 1 x 1 bedroom self-contained flat all contained within a single HMO property. There is a shared kitchen and lounge and I have a HMO license and certificate of lawful development (change of use C3 to C4). My strategy is to wait 3 more years and get retrospective planning...
                04-12-2019, 15:20 PM
              Working...
              X