Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying car outright or Buying a BTL and PCP car

Hello,

I am 37 years old and I have 40k i wish to spend. I planned to buy a car outright (3 years old). Given the type of car the depreciation will be very low. The car is circa £40k also

However, i'm starting to wonder if there is a smarter way to do this. Do i actually purchase another BTL and PCP the car instead.

Pro's:

Fee's aside i havent 'spent the 40k" as its still sitting in the property - assuming a non-crash market.

The APR of the PCP is circa 5% vs return of 7/8/9% of BTL.

Assuming a rising market of say 2% PA, i can get a small amount of capital appreciation which offsets the depreciation of the car slightly

Cons

I'm a car-person but will never actually own the car - unsure how that will make me feel.

I'd need to pay a PCP company a monthly amount of circa £600/700

If i want to keep the car the optional final payment is circa 20k if want to keep it. if not, i'd resell privately (harder process) so not get onto the PCP-roundabout.

Advice welcome....

Thanks
    Craig

Hi Craig,

I would buy a BTL through a SPV company (if you could do HMO its even better) and rent it out then use the revenue to fund the car that way its 0%cost to you.
    hope that helps

Comment

I would buy the BTL and a cheap car - perhaps you can tell I'm not a car person! A BTL should increase in value and provide an income whereas cars depreciate. If the car is a must the advice above is good.

Comment

Investment requires a sensible decision and buying a car is not.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Notice served , rent arrears increasing
          by Propertygoesup
          I have had a solicitor serve s21 notice for me on a tenant who is now 3000 in arrears (over 3 months) . Notice asks tenant to leave early Feb.
          ​​​​​​I have asked solicitor whether I can offer tenant any kind of deal on waiving rent , which they said I can in writing.
          I'm here...
          16-12-2019, 10:15 AM
        • Reply to Equity release
          by loanarranger
          Equity Release loans do not extend to Buy to Let Mortgages given that such borrowings are deemed Non Regulated by the FCA Whilst Residential Homeowner Loans are Strictly Regulated and why only Brokers with the relevant qualifications are permitted to advise and arrange such facilities with lenders.
          12-12-2019, 04:41 AM
        • Equity release
          by Bricko7
          Hi everyone.

So I have a house with about 90,000 of equity in it, which is about 70% of the value. One option I have is to release the equity as it is rented out and I don't want to selll.

I am half way through a 2 year fixed term on the mortgage. So if I release equity will...
          10-12-2019, 04:22 AM
          by Gordon999
          If you are part way through an existing fixed term mortgage, you should want till nearer the end of the term before re-mortgaging.

Equity release is only for those who have no income to pay interest on a normal mortgage loan.The interest rate charged is higher because the lender has...
          11-12-2019, 02:54 AM
          by loanarranger
          Firstly are we discussing obtaining a further advance from the current lender , obtaining a second charge mortgage from a third party provider , I am a little confused; I am also assuming that the present loan is a Non Regulated mortgage as opposed to a Residential Homeowner Mortgage but where the property...
          10-12-2019, 07:59 AM
        • Borrowing against property to invest in shares etc
          by Clulass
          New here, just wondered what people in property thought about borrowing against a BTL property, to invest in shares (either plcs or start ups) - so relatively risky but big growth potential.

Is it a totally crazy idea, or perhaps not, if you can afford the interest payments, and you accept...
          17-10-2019, 08:40 AM
        • Reply to Borrowing against property to invest in shares etc
          by theartfullodger
          Indeed: I have experinced B0E interest rates hitting 17% (yes you read that right, under Thatcher...) and a price collapse during divorce divestment - both were ...err... painful: (the money position, not the divorce..)...
          09-12-2019, 15:52 PM
        • Reply to Borrowing against property to invest in shares etc
          by doobrey
          Depends on circumstances, I guess. I was talking to brokers about extracting equity from my property for investment and I was being told no because it would be viewed as a good money-laundering strategy (i.e. buy for cash -> remortgage) and therefore they would be on the wrong side of AML rules....
          09-12-2019, 15:09 PM
        • Reply to Retrospective sub-division of a HMO and financing/refinancing strategy
          by loanarranger
          Can I make a slight correction Gordon to your last post and without wishing to sound clever;you are indeed correct regarding the possibility of the lender not allowing any flats to be extracted from the title but the possible exception is if the value of the Freehold plus the value of the remaining...
          07-12-2019, 14:13 PM
        • Retrospective sub-division of a HMO and financing/refinancing strategy
          by GaryE
          I have 5 self-contained bedsits and 1 x 1 bedroom self-contained flat all contained within a single HMO property. There is a shared kitchen and lounge and I have a HMO license and certificate of lawful development (change of use C3 to C4). My strategy is to wait 3 more years and get retrospective planning...
          04-12-2019, 15:20 PM
        Working...
        X