Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying car outright or Buying a BTL and PCP car

Hello,

I am 37 years old and I have 40k i wish to spend. I planned to buy a car outright (3 years old). Given the type of car the depreciation will be very low. The car is circa £40k also

However, i'm starting to wonder if there is a smarter way to do this. Do i actually purchase another BTL and PCP the car instead.

Pro's:

Fee's aside i havent 'spent the 40k" as its still sitting in the property - assuming a non-crash market.

The APR of the PCP is circa 5% vs return of 7/8/9% of BTL.

Assuming a rising market of say 2% PA, i can get a small amount of capital appreciation which offsets the depreciation of the car slightly

Cons

I'm a car-person but will never actually own the car - unsure how that will make me feel.

I'd need to pay a PCP company a monthly amount of circa £600/700

If i want to keep the car the optional final payment is circa 20k if want to keep it. if not, i'd resell privately (harder process) so not get onto the PCP-roundabout.

Advice welcome....

Thanks
    Craig

Hi Craig,

I would buy a BTL through a SPV company (if you could do HMO its even better) and rent it out then use the revenue to fund the car that way its 0%cost to you.
    hope that helps

Comment

I would buy the BTL and a cheap car - perhaps you can tell I'm not a car person! A BTL should increase in value and provide an income whereas cars depreciate. If the car is a must the advice above is good.

Comment

Investment requires a sensible decision and buying a car is not.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• SDLT and purchase reservation fees
          by ritfor
          Hello folks,

For second homes:

Purchasing a property for 33k. Reservation fee 6k. Total 39k = No SDLT.
          Purchasing a property for 35k. Reservation fee 6k. Total 41k = 3% SDLT.

This is correct isn't it?

Thanks.
          20-06-2020, 12:03 PM
        • Reply to SDLT and purchase reservation fees
          by combo75
          I don't know, my head is spinning.

I have just been to look at a 4 bed Student let terraced house, currently let out £1850pcm.

The current landlord is diabolical and the students are complaining about the state of the place. It needs quite a bit of updating but it's not a...
          02-07-2020, 18:27 PM
          by BTL investor
          hech123,

You could be right, the truth is that nobody knows what’s going to happen that’s why the experts are predicting different outcomes but I struggle to see how me purchasing a property today for £200,000 with £7,500 of stamp duty and receiving a pre-tax and pre-expenses rental...
          02-07-2020, 11:41 AM
          by BTL investor
          combo75 I don’t see the attack on landlords coming to an end anytime soon, both labour and conservative governments have spent the last 3 or 4 decades funding free homes to asylum seekers, single mothers and pretty much anyone that doesn’t want to go to work to buy their own home or pay their own...
          02-07-2020, 11:11 AM
        • Reply to Renovation Loan for a Right To Manage Company
          by loanarranger
          Good point hech123, I would add that even if a bank were prepared to lend as unlikely as it is , why on earth would the Directors be prepared to give their Personal Guarantees forsuch borrowings. I fear that the liability rests in seeking a surcharge for the respective leaseholders to fund the costs...
          02-07-2020, 09:32 AM
        • Renovation Loan for a Right To Manage Company
          by AlleyRTM
          Hello,

I am a director of a Right To manage company, and we need extensive renovations to our roof, and other parts of the building.

Does anyone know of a way to gather the funds to pay for this, like a loan or grant?

Is it possible for an RTM company to take...
          30-06-2020, 04:39 AM
        • Reply to Renovation Loan for a Right To Manage Company
          by hech123
          I would imagine not. You should get it from the leaseholders, it is there responsibility. You may get a loan at high rates if there is any value in the Freehold if you own that but if you are just a RTM company with no assets then getting a loan would be extremely difficult . Really you should have...
          02-07-2020, 08:37 AM
          by hech123
          I very much doubt the market is going to have a correction downwards, I am really not even sure why any experts are predicting this. Large house price falls usually fall exponential growth in houses making them very unaffordable. Add to this that banks are well capitalised and looking to expand lending....
          02-07-2020, 08:32 AM
          by combo75
          Hi BTL, I am in the same position as you and I am sitting on quite a bit of money for deposits. But I am not willing to pay £16-22K in SDLT towards buying a property.

I have noticed that a lot of property seen in my area is coming down but not by enough.The furlough scheme is keeping everything...
          02-07-2020, 08:25 AM
          by ritfor
          Apologies Gordon, I should have said that the property would be in need of refurbishment....
          01-07-2020, 17:31 PM
        Working...
        X