Labour climb down over RTB of Private Rented Accommodation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labour climb down over RTB of Private Rented Accommodation

The following announcement demonstrates the crass stupidity of Labour and its communist orientated hierarchy. This was an ill considered proposal without realising the practical implications of its implementations.

The Labour Party has ditched its controversial “right to buy” idea to let tenants buy up their landlords’ properties, the Financial Times (FT) has reported.

The party’s top brass reportedly met in London on Saturday night to sign off the pledges for its election manifesto and ruled out the policy.

The FT reported “party figures familiar with the manifesto,” had raised concerns the policy was not workable.

The idea to allow tenants to buy out landlords for a government-set “reasonable price,” was floated by shadow chancellor John McDonnell (pictured) in September.

McDonnell said at the time the plan could be effected easily.

But brokers branded it “ludicrous”, “farcical,” and “very ill-thought out”.

The party is expected to move ahead with plans to work toward a net-zero carbon economy by 2030, including a pledge to allocate £60bn to upgrade the energy efficiency of the UK’s housing stock.

The FT described the combination of pledges in the manifesto “the most leftwing in recent history.”

Yay! All the landlordzone lefties can now vote labour without worry.

Comment

Unless they have shares in BT...

Comment

Comrade Jeremy has declared a policy on rental increases and other related matters

Labour’s election manifesto reports that, given the reins of government, the party would “stop runaway rents” by capping them with inflation.

Aside from this, the party would give cities power to cap rents further. It would also fund renters’ unions throughout the UK, which Labour says would allow renters to “organise and defend their rights.”

The manifesto dedicates four pages to housing issues in total. In its affordable housing section, the party says that it will end permitted development, in which office blocks are converted to homes and change the definition of affordable, which Labour says the Conservatives set “as high as 80 per cent”, and instead link the definition to local incomes.

The party also says that it would end the Right to Buy scheme, give councils the power to buy homes from private landlords, and that a Decent Homes programme will ensure that all council and housing association homes are up to “good” standard.

Comment

Originally posted by loanarranger View Post
          Comrade Jeremy has declared a policy on rental increases and other related matters
          Labour’s election manifesto reports that, given the reins of government, the party would “stop runaway rents” by capping them with inflation.
          Yes, and of course the likely effect of the sort of government would be that inflation would be massive and rapid as the £ declines and the state expands. Rents are most unlikely to keep up with inflation and declining asset values and value of savings anyway. We will have "runaway" everything.

Comment

According to the times this morning, if the Labour Party manifesto were to be fully implemented, the state's proportion of the economy would be roughly the same size as Germany's.
            Not that it matters, because the majority they'd need to push their proposals through isn't likely, given the leader.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Unfortunately the vast majority of such voters read the Red Tops and can be sucked into the hype much espoused by Citizen Smith (showing my age!! -Robert Lindsay)

Comment

The only pro labour mainstream newspapers are the Mirror and the Guardian and my guess is that most readers of those publications have already decided who they're going to vote for, the only thing likely to change their mind is if they decide to vote Lib Dem tactically.

It's going to take more than one election to sort parliament out as it stands, and if they don't win, Corbyn and MacDonald both have to resign.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

In principle Right to Buy might not be a bad things, if they allow Capital Gains Tax rollover. It may be a problem, in say a flat conversion, there all the flats are owned by the landlord, but having to sell one out.

Comment

My rents are below market, however, I am thinking of sending all a rent increase. I was going to ask the tenant to pay the existing rent, but I would be building up the arrears, so if they do exercise such a right (if they are given in), then I can the amount, I have been undercharging them....

Comment

Anyone seen this?

Comment

It would be funny if racism did more damage to Labour then to the Torys.

Comment

I doubt Labour are getting in. I can see a big Conservative majority. Very little support from most Labour voters in areas I work in

Comment

Hech123
                            I believe that the penny is dropping in many locations where to vote anything other than labour would be a betrayal of their working class and family roots, but for many they realise that the Labour Manifesto combined with the pronouncements from John McDonnell of having strikes as a means of getting higher benefits for the working class is indeed a through back to the days of Red Robbo and Arthur Scargill when mob rule is the voice of a Labour Government.
                            The world is indeed imperfect but I would vote for BoJo if it means stability and prosperity for anyone who is prepared to work.

Comment

No effective majority for anyone is my prediction.
                              No one will work in coalition with a Corbyn led labour party or a Johnson led Conservative party.

Then muddle on for a few months and another general election (or possibly an EU referendum).

The only wild card for me is that it's possible that a lot more young voters might turn out than usual.
                              That would mean the main polling would be wrong and I think it would benefit Labour.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Notice served , rent arrears increasing
                                by Propertygoesup
                                I have had a solicitor serve s21 notice for me on a tenant who is now 3000 in arrears (over 3 months) . Notice asks tenant to leave early Feb.
                                ​​​​​​I have asked solicitor whether I can offer tenant any kind of deal on waiving rent , which they said I can in writing.
                                I'm here...
                                16-12-2019, 10:15 AM
                              • Reply to Equity release
                                by loanarranger
                                Equity Release loans do not extend to Buy to Let Mortgages given that such borrowings are deemed Non Regulated by the FCA Whilst Residential Homeowner Loans are Strictly Regulated and why only Brokers with the relevant qualifications are permitted to advise and arrange such facilities with lenders.
                                12-12-2019, 04:41 AM
                              • Equity release
                                by Bricko7
                                Hi everyone.

So I have a house with about 90,000 of equity in it, which is about 70% of the value. One option I have is to release the equity as it is rented out and I don't want to selll.

I am half way through a 2 year fixed term on the mortgage. So if I release equity will...
                                10-12-2019, 04:22 AM
                                by Gordon999
                                If you are part way through an existing fixed term mortgage, you should want till nearer the end of the term before re-mortgaging.

Equity release is only for those who have no income to pay interest on a normal mortgage loan.The interest rate charged is higher because the lender has...
                                11-12-2019, 02:54 AM
                                by loanarranger
                                Firstly are we discussing obtaining a further advance from the current lender , obtaining a second charge mortgage from a third party provider , I am a little confused; I am also assuming that the present loan is a Non Regulated mortgage as opposed to a Residential Homeowner Mortgage but where the property...
                                10-12-2019, 07:59 AM
                              • Borrowing against property to invest in shares etc
                                by Clulass
                                New here, just wondered what people in property thought about borrowing against a BTL property, to invest in shares (either plcs or start ups) - so relatively risky but big growth potential.

Is it a totally crazy idea, or perhaps not, if you can afford the interest payments, and you accept...
                                17-10-2019, 08:40 AM
                              • Reply to Borrowing against property to invest in shares etc
                                by theartfullodger
                                Indeed: I have experinced B0E interest rates hitting 17% (yes you read that right, under Thatcher...) and a price collapse during divorce divestment - both were ...err... painful: (the money position, not the divorce..)...
                                09-12-2019, 15:52 PM
                              • Reply to Borrowing against property to invest in shares etc
                                by doobrey
                                Depends on circumstances, I guess. I was talking to brokers about extracting equity from my property for investment and I was being told no because it would be viewed as a good money-laundering strategy (i.e. buy for cash -> remortgage) and therefore they would be on the wrong side of AML rules....
                                09-12-2019, 15:09 PM
                              • Reply to Retrospective sub-division of a HMO and financing/refinancing strategy
                                by loanarranger
                                Can I make a slight correction Gordon to your last post and without wishing to sound clever;you are indeed correct regarding the possibility of the lender not allowing any flats to be extracted from the title but the possible exception is if the value of the Freehold plus the value of the remaining...
                                07-12-2019, 14:13 PM
                              • Retrospective sub-division of a HMO and financing/refinancing strategy
                                by GaryE
                                I have 5 self-contained bedsits and 1 x 1 bedroom self-contained flat all contained within a single HMO property. There is a shared kitchen and lounge and I have a HMO license and certificate of lawful development (change of use C3 to C4). My strategy is to wait 3 more years and get retrospective planning...
                                04-12-2019, 15:20 PM
                              Working...
                              X